Stretching Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this trend is really popular in the JDM scene, but lately I've noticed a lot of trucks are running them too.
I plan on picking up a set of 20x14 wheels and most of the guys running these are running 12.50 wide tires! How can this be safe?
I plan on running 35x13.50's on them which is still a half-inch narrower, but not nearly as bad. I was just wondering what type of side-effects this comes with.
Does it cause any sort of premature wear or stress?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tires you plan on running are just fine. The stretched tire thing is different. It's so the wheels with a ton of negative offset will stick out but the tire will be inside and clear the fender. For cars that are super slammed or on bags. But a lot of kids will do it because it looks cool. I don't think it's safe. It is a stupid trend. Totally for looks. I want as much rubber on the road as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depending one the tire it can look stretched. You also have to look at what the tread width is, that'll make the biggest difference. That 13.50 could possibly have a tread width less than 12". All depends on the tire

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so after some research I decided I'm gonna go with 20x12 with either 35x13.50 or 37x13.50. Maybe even a x12.50 since it is still wider than the rim by 1/2", but would that be enough?

Depending one the tire it can look stretched. You also have to look at what the tread width is, that'll make the biggest difference. That 13.50 could possibly have a tread width less than 12". All depends on the tire

I've heard this before, I almost feel like this should be illegal by the manufacturer for false advertising.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Euro car guys love that. I hate it. As said above, I want as much tire on the ground as I can get!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I've heard this before, I almost feel like this should be illegal by the manufacturer for false advertising.

Um that's why tires have a recommended rim width.

The section/tread width does not equal what width rim to use.

Last edited:

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The main problem with this is it makes it very easy to pop a bead or damage a sidewall or the wheel.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The main problem with this is it makes it very easy to pop a bead or damage a sidewall or the wheel.

If you are running a 14" wide rim, you are likely not wheeling the rig and needing to worry about popping a bead.

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would a 13.50 on a 20x12 be a little more reliable?
I don't do much hauling or off-roading except a little during the hunting seasons or when I pull a single jet-ski.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I curbed a Billet Specialties wheel on a bagged mustang gt 15 years ago because of stretched tires. It still hurts to think about.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Would a 13.50 on a 20x12 be a little more reliable?
I don't do much hauling or off-roading except a little during the hunting seasons or when I pull a single jet-ski.

That would be much better.
Also, even if you never go off the pavement you can easily damage a sidewall or pop a bead on a cement curb. Crap happens.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go to the tire shop and ask them what they are comfortable doing. I know when I worked in one if the manufacturer couldn't recommend that tire width on the rim you want we weren't putting it on just because of liability. It's not easy finding a tire shop that will do stuff like stretching a tire so I wish you good luck and stick with a tire that is recommended to your wheel width.