Stumped! Anyone else have any idea.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I'd also check to make sure that the air intake is clear. No air, nothing to compress.

shackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are we sure that in fact the pistons are going up and down? Possible broken crank? The cam would still work. You did say the motor is spinning real fast and i am assuming that's with all the plugs in. Just saying

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are we sure that in fact the pistons are going up and down? Possible broken crank? The cam would still work. You did say the motor is spinning real fast and i am assuming that's with all the plugs in. Just saying
If you started at the top and all parts, are as they should be and are working as they should, and you work your way to the bottom, then the problem has to be in the bottom end. Yes, check actual piston movement. It's always in the last place you look ;-).

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1st thing I would do is check the compression tester on a known good engine. I've had a tester fail like that and show almost no compression.

Years ago our family snowmobile died shortly after it was refueled. It was a 4 stroke engine) The carburetor bowl had green antifreeze in it and upon teardown the engine rings were shot!

Like everyone else said I would look into the valve train operation more closely. Check the specs for how much valve lift you should have and if you have a dial indicator verify it.

Harbor freight has several bore scopes from $29.99 and up. They're have a 25% coupon available so it shouldn't cost you too much for one to get a look inside the combustion chambers...

Good luck!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My guess is the op is having some fun... he's stated the valve train is operating, which should tell you all the starter motor is turning the crank and camshaft. He hasn't said anything about unplugging the TB and holding the throttle blade open. I use the rubber handle of a big screw driver. And I would guess his gauge isn't working. The truck being a 03 I first go to a broken valve spring, but this sounds more like a failed fuel pump...

Octane

Reaction score
I used to own a auto engine remanufacturing facility from 1985-2005 .We ran into almost any and everything. If you have not yet confirmed that the valves are in fact opening and closing my guess would be a broken camshaft even though you can get the marks to line up on the chain that part is still supported by the cam bearing in the block. Since you have it down that far see if you can get the cam to move by putting the bolt back in a little and try to pull the cam out. If it's broke it will move.
A customer exploded a 300 6cyl. Ford motor once.Cam broke in 5...yes five places.Two rods thru the block and a broken crank.Also has a rod that was snatched wrist pin and all from a piston.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The main reason I wasn't leaning towards the compression gauge was because he also said it spun unusually fast - which is what happens with no compression.

He had to look at it by now, we will all be wondering for all eternity :)

OP
OP
O3hemiram7

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got caught up with the holidays. I'm a single Dad with 5 kids in the house. Im hoping to get back on to digging into the truck this weekend. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
O3hemiram7

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Compression gauge checks out okay used it on 2 other motors recently. Valve train is not bound up.push rods look good everything seems to be moving as it should. Time to crack the pan open this weekend and check the throttle body. Did I mention that the truck had stalled on me the same way it did my son a week before. Driving down the road at about 50mph everything just cut out like someone turned the key off. That time it immediately restarted with no issue.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That old girl looks like she's been open to weather longer than two weeks. Has it been reassembled since the photos were taken?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That old girl looks like she's been open to weather longer than two weeks. Has it been reassembled since the photos were taken?
He's probably only a few miles from me and it has been pretty wet, windy, and downright cold down here since before Christmas, he probably hasn't been up to working on it because of this. I'm still curious as to what may have happened.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Looks like a EGR block off plate on the passenger head. That would mean the head has been changed and from the looks of it not recently.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Here is a picture of a 03 engine front during a cam change showing alignment.
20170425_125829.jpg

OP
OP
O3hemiram7

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So we dug in deeper this weekend oiled the cylinders down for a wet test and low and behold I have good compression on all but cylinder 5 looks like it's time to pull the heads and pray.