Sub and enclosure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gla215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I bought a prefab Rockville box for my 2010 ram and threw a pair of massive audio tko 12" subs in it and it does sound decent but it bottoms out pretty quick. Now I never really thought much about air space or anything I usually just bought some subs and a box and threw it together, I got to looking and the box says its .65 cubic ft and the subs say 1.25 cubic ft, now is there anything I can do to help or should I search for a different pair of subs.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
you need twice as much airspace plus you have to account for subwoofer displacement. you should look for different subs.

OP
OP
G

gla215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any recommendations on subs, like I said I usually just put them in and go, don't really look for specs

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That's going to be tuff. More than likely it will have to be a slim subwoofer. All depends on budget too. I know Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Alpine, Sundown audio and a bunch of other companies make slim subs. you would have to check the specs and price according to how to box you have now and much money you want to spend.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
As stated above, you need to replace the subs with ones that are made for that box, or buy a new box that has the airspace for the subs requirements.

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have some Rockford amps in my 16 ram here is a pic of my install as I was working on it. Fox box with 2 12s and 3 Rockford amps
rr3_zpsdhpfft1m.jpg
rfpower_zpsa7n3qjzb.jpg

OP
OP
G

gla215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice setup bud!!!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have some Rockford amps in my 16 ram here is a pic of my install as I was working on it. Fox box with 2 12s and 3 Rockford amps
rr3_zpsdhpfft1m.jpg
rfpower_zpsa7n3qjzb.jpg

Is that enough airspace or those subs? i always thought foxboxes were under 1cubic foot per sub?

like stated above if you dont want a new box you wll have to get subs that are recommended for the space you have. like the slim subs.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even slim subs won't fair in that box nicely. There is only one sub that I know that is slim and really thrives in that small of a box and they aren't made anymore. Personally I would go Net audio or make my own box and get whatever subs I want to run in there.

Murder_ram22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try DB audio shallow mount subs my neighbor is a audio installer and he has 2 10s and a DB audio amp witch I believe is only a 600 Watt and they sound like 2 12s

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was my set up. Had a ported Fox acoustics with 2 12" Alpine Type R's hooked up to a single alpine mrp-500 amp. Way underpowered but sounded amazing. Always rattled my rear view mirror out of position. I you want a lot of bass, I would look into Fox acoustics. I still have my box but no longer have the truck lol
756df84b72ce4bdcab3a5aadf6fceb4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I bought a prefab Rockville box for my 2010 ram and threw a pair of massive audio tko 12" subs in it and it does sound decent but it bottoms out pretty quick. Now I never really thought much about air space or anything I usually just bought some subs and a box and threw it together, I got to looking and the box says its .65 cubic ft and the subs say 1.25 cubic ft, now is there anything I can do to help or should I search for a different pair of subs.

I have the same issue with mine, my box only allows .64 CF, and i need 1.1. Just buy Polyfil, it "tricks" your sub into thinking theres more room. The polyfil slows down the air, causing it to mimic a bigger box. Its roughly a LB per foot. Mine sounded night and day

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even slim subs won't fair in that box nicely. There is only one sub that I know that is slim and really thrives in that small of a box and they aren't made anymore. Personally I would go Net audio or make my own box and get whatever subs I want to run in there.

don't knock till you have heard it , the reason I went with Alpine type r is because they meet the air space fox has listed, the box pounds extremely hard . Very impressed with fox .
2-12" VENTED SUB BOX
AIR VOLUME: 1.55 CUBIC FEET PER SIDE
DIVIDED: YES
PORT/VENT TUNE FREQUENCY: 35 Hz
MAX FRAME SIZE: 13" Round subs only
MOUNTING HOLE SIZE: 11.125"

1.55 cubes of airspace is plenty for the right sub , I normally do not have a budget when buying sound equipment and wanted a custom box made but after hearing the fox there is no need to do anything else if ground pounding is what you are after. My RFt15001bd tested 1725watts on a bench test going to 2 12's are just plain crazy bass, everything moves in the cab lol

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This was my set up. Had a ported Fox acoustics with 2 12" Alpine Type R's hooked up to a single alpine mrp-500 amp. Way underpowered but sounded amazing. Always rattled my rear view mirror out of position. I you want a lot of bass, I would look into Fox acoustics. I still have my box but no longer have the truck lol
756df84b72ce4bdcab3a5aadf6fceb4c.jpg

right on these box'***** hard just get another mrp500 for the set up, girls get all happy when they sit on my back seat haha

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

slimline subs have no low end the only slim line sub that I thought sounded good was the JL TW13 which is a $800 sub and I had one in my Tundra . These Alpines bring it home in my box , remember top of the line equipment with an installer that does not know what he is doing will sound like crap.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
right on these box'***** hard just get another mrp500 for the set up, girls get all happy when they sit on my back seat haha

Hell even with the one amp, it hit hard. If I could fit could get another box like it for my new truck I would. I miss having my type R's lol

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The one I was think of is stereo integritys bmmkvi which will play a 20hz tone no problem with authority. Issue is they don't like lots of power.
What I mean is most slim subs still like the same air space as full depth subs. Even the 13TW5 that JL has still wants around a cube of airspace to perform down low.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
don't knock till you have heard it , the reason I went with Alpine type r is because they meet the air space fox has listed, the box pounds extremely hard . Very impressed with fox .
2-12" VENTED SUB BOX
AIR VOLUME: 1.55 CUBIC FEET PER SIDE
DIVIDED: YES
PORT/VENT TUNE FREQUENCY: 35 Hz
MAX FRAME SIZE: 13" Round subs only
MOUNTING HOLE SIZE: 11.125"

1.55 cubes of airspace is plenty for the right sub , I normally do not have a budget when buying sound equipment and wanted a custom box made but after hearing the fox there is no need to do anything else if ground pounding is what you are after. My RFt15001bd tested 1725watts on a bench test going to 2 12's are just plain crazy bass, everything moves in the cab lol

I meant the Rockville box. Foxbox has its place but guys that are serious about clean loud bass will always custom build.

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I meant the Rockville box. Foxbox has its place but guys that are serious about clean loud bass will always custom build.

I am not so sure about that. Myself I am not that serious as I just do this for fun but I am still tuning with a minidsp 6x8 and microphone but will get a db measurement soon. So are you saying that a custom box in the 16QC using the same amps and subs will have a higher output? While not losing any seat functionality and cutting up the floor. If so I am interested as I would like to go that rout. Please explain how this is possible .I can post up sub specs and enclosure demensions I just did not slap the box in the cab , I did do some improvements to it to make sure everything stays tight under high output.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that's the trick, keeping everything stock looking is tough and guys looking to get serious will lose some of seat usability or cut the floor pan. Yes the foxbox is good at what it does but really it flexes and that's losing output. But if you are willing to give up floor space yes you can do a lot better with a custom box. Heck I'd put my 1 12 in my reg cab up against any foxbox and I'd bet dollars to donuts mine will sound better and get louder without anything but gains set with a 40hz test tone. Only reason I know this is foxbox will start chuffing when really pushing some air. Like 2000w+ to your type Rs will chuff like no one's business.

Last edited: