Sub-Zero temps and P0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, in the 4 weeks I've had my '13 1500 Express, we've had sub-zero temps 2 times. Since the temps have dropped to single digits, I start the truck and let it idle for about 5 minutes (no remote start, I have to freeze my ass off going out there and starting it) and both of the days that it has been sub-zero, it has thrown a P0300 "Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected" code. While idling, I could hear it stumbling until it warmed up and after I cleared the code it didn't come back until it was sub-zero again (this morning). Today, I didn't clear the code until I got to work and I noticed the ECO mode would not engage the entire drive in. Cleared the code while parked at work and everything was fine on the drive home. Supposed to be sub-zero in the morning again...

What would cause it to stumble and misfire only when its sub-zero temps?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gasoline does not evaporate in cold air as well as in warmer temperatures. That used to be a bigger problem in the days of carburetors with simple jets as opposed to the fuel injectors of modern engines, so there may be something else going on. One thing that comes to mind are the plugs.

I would advise against warming the engine up through idling. Because of the effects described above, more fuel is injected, and not all of it is burned. The unburned fuel washes off the oil film in the cylinders and dilutes oil. It's better to fire it up, let it idle for 10-15 seconds and then get going with restraint on the revs. The engine will warm up faster that way.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Gasoline does not evaporate in cold air as well as in warmer temperatures. That used to be a bigger problem in the days of carburetors with simple jets as opposed to the fuel injectors of modern engines, so there may be something else going on. One thing that comes to mind are the plugs.

I would advise against warming the engine up through idling. Because of the effects described above, more fuel is injected, and not all of it is burned. The unburned fuel washes off the oil film in the cylinders and dilutes oil. It's better to fire it up, let it idle for 10-15 seconds and then get going with restraint on the revs. The engine will warm up faster that way.

I disagree idling ur engine is best. Reving a cold engine is a big nono. I assure u if your engine is over fueling the computer will cut it back. Engineers have designed every aspect of how ur truck runs.

I would change where u buy your gas. I have had this code and so have others in my area there was a common condition, everyone was running the same brand of gas when the code occurred. Since Changing brands the code has not returned even in -32 temps

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would put my $ on winter blend gasoline. Thank goodness I live down south where we dont have the changeover to that crap. I as well dont see an issue with idling an engine up to temperature. the computers these days measure the intake and exhaust and can sense un-burned gasoline and will compensate for it with the beauty of th evariable injection systems on these trucks. Hard to do that with an old Holley 640.

OP
OP
crazy_luck

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disagree idling ur engine is best. Reving a cold engine is a big nono. I assure u if your engine is over fueling the computer will cut it back. Engineers have designed every aspect of how ur truck runs.

I would change where u buy your gas. I have had this code and so have others in my area there was a common condition, everyone was running the same brand of gas when the code occurred. Since Changing brands the code has not returned even in -32 temps

Changing brands isn't going to be easy... I'm in a small town in the middle of no where. We have 3 gas stations (Holiday, Kwick Trip and Cenex) and the same truck fills all 3 stations. My only other option is a station about 15 miles out that is a former Shell station (can't remember what it is now) or the Super America across the street from them, and lets face it, I'm not going to stop at SA...

Looks like I'll have to hit one of the stations closer to work, which is going to suck because they are tight lots to pull into and always jam packed.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
If the problem persists take it in. It looks like you're running a 2013 with no heavy mods. They have to look at it, document it and fix it. Nobody wants problems with their vehicle, but under warranty it becomes a dealer problem. Good luck.

OP
OP
crazy_luck

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This only happens when the temps drop below zero, they won't be able to replicate it easily, so I'd need to leave it for a few days AND I can't drive my Charger in the winter - it gets no traction on we roads, let alone snow/ice covered roads. And after 2 weeks ago with my Charger, I have serious trust issues leaving either vehicle with the nearest dealership... (they parked my car with the front fascia bottomed out on the curb, caused about $1200 in damage and, because I didn't inspect it before signing the paper work, they refuse to fix it on their dime)

Which is why I'm looking for insight to the issue here, in hopes someone may have had this issue or any real leads to what a solution would be that I may be able to tackle myself.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same 0300 code last week.

Also in -28c weather. Stumbled on startup but once warm ran ok. I checked my exhaust and tightened up clanging and I also had 02 codes.

Still have a single o2 code but not multiples like I did and no longer have 0300 code either.
Coincidence that it was cold weather? I use v power she'll exclusively.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I had the same 0300 code last week.

Also in -28c weather. Stumbled on startup but once warm ran ok. I checked my exhaust and tightened up clanging and I also had 02 codes.

Still have a single o2 code but not multiples like I did and no longer have 0300 code either.
Coincidence that it was cold weather? I use v power she'll exclusively.
Yes shell was the offender on all accounts I know of for the 0300

Last edited:

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes shell was the offender on all accounts I know of for the 0300
D'OH!

Im attributing mine to an exhaust leak just before rear 02 sensor. Ims ticking with it!

I happen to like Shell gas, and theyre closest to my house! Havent had issues with anything else and I run the V power in everything (mower, dirtbike, streetbike, sled, car, truck, etc)

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
D'OH!

Im attributing mine to an exhaust leak just before rear 02 sensor. Ims ticking with it!

I happen to like Shell gas, and theyre closest to my house! Havent had issues with anything else and I run the V power in everything (mower, dirtbike, streetbike, sled, car, truck, etc)

I would switch if I were you. I know 4 ppl personally that have had the code plus those that have come forward on the forum, all using shell. I have not had the code once since switching even when temps drop very low. I had the code twice before using shell gas. I use petro Canada gas now or esso, I've had luck with both. GL

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't ESSO and PETRO have ETHANOL in their top tier gasoline?

Id like to avoid that **** if I could.

I thought V-Power wasn't a winter blend either...as they don't modify it for winters???

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Esso has no ethanol in its 91, up to 15% in the 87, well up here anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck gets it regardless of what gas station i go to, but only does it at -40c or colder, that was last year and i was running 87 which had ethanol, switched to 89 through the summer, half the ethanol, nothing yet this year but no -40 yet either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crazy_luck

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I thought V-Power wasn't a winter blend either...as they don't modify it for winters???

In Minnesota, ALL gasoline has at least 15% ethanol, unless you fill up with the 110 octane at Brainerd Internation Raceway... :emotions122:

OP
OP
crazy_luck

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope... We are still one of the highest priced gasoline states in the continental 48 states (doesn't help they keep adding more and more tax to the gas because the Vikings need a new stadium to lose in)...

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

All gas here has ethanol in it regular grades anyway mid grade has less and some premium gas has none or so I've heard. Remember though octane is the resistance to burn not what u want in the extreme cold. They put ethanol in the gas to keep your lines from freezing.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know Shell puts it right on the pump, letting you know no ethanol.

The other pumps Ive yet to read it on, but have heard Petro 94 is ethanol free.

Husky has a 93/94, but DOES contain ethanol.

I don't mind Esso gas, (as I work there from time to time :) )and if they have no ethanol maybe its worth using as its also fairly close to my house.

And Ive yet to ever see FROZEN gas, so who needs ethanol at all?

arwalcker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone!! I'm new here. I got a 2013 Ram 5.7 Express. I had the same problem happen this weekend but mine was plugged in. I have noticed it starts a bit different with it plugged in when the temp is in the single digits or below zero F. Could it possibly be with the different temperature ranges and they mess with the computer?? When its in my heated garage it starts fine every time. I had a bit of 87 octane no ethanol in it but put 89 octane with ethanol in it before I got the code. 89 octane no ethanol is impossible to find around here so I thought a little non ethanol would do it some good. Any thoughts?? I got about 14000 miles on it.