Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just purchased a 2017 5.7 ltr ram with only 21,000 miles on it. Dont know what is in it right now. Figure its a great time to start with a synthetic oil from here on out.
What weight have most of y'all had the most success with?
I live in Delaware. Winter not to bad here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just purchased a 2017 5.7 ltr ram with only 21,000 miles on it. Dont know what is in it right now. Figure its a great time to start with a synthetic oil from here on out.
Well I was called so I should say something.

If you get a uoa you can see how the hemi is wearing, helps makes a choice between 0w40, 5w30, 0w30, 0w20 or the oem 5w20. The forum is about 50/50 5w20 or 5w30. My opinion is 5w30 unless you end up with cold piston slap which is different then hemi tick, if that happens and can happen at temperature above freezing then I'd opt for 0w30. Piston slap generally only happens at cold start when truck has sat a while, and it always goes away when warm.

The forum's top 4 choices for oil are Pennzoil number one oil used on the board, m1 number two used on on board, amsoil 3, or redline which is the 4th most used oil on the board. Penzoils top oil is Ultra line. Another strategy is to add lubegard biotech to any cheap synthetic oil with modern specs to boost the aw/ep additives to much higher levels. There are oil threads if you dare, but if you hemi is wearing good I'm not sure what more you need to know then that. Now oil filters is another big deal, no joke. Use the larger filter it will fit, see oil filter thread page 1 and 93, top two filters are royal purple 20-820 and fram Ultra. That's all I got.

How do you like the truck??

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

JUANGOODUDE

First WELCOME to the group and Congratulations on the New to you RAM !
I live in Maine and have been using synthetic Oil for years in my car,truck and motorcycles !
And IMO YES worth the extra few $$
Years ago I had a F150 w. a 302 regular oil and when we hit low teens or sub zero the truck turned over slow!
Went to synthetic and I could bearly tell it was extreamly cold out !
Started Way easier w/synthetic !
That sold me on 100% synthetic oil and I change every 5k as well ,,IMO cheap insurance

FYI TONS of info on synthetic oil ;

Use the search box for more then you can read lol !

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Well I was called so I should say something.

If you get a uoa you can see how the hemi is wearing, helps makes a choice between 0w40, 5w30, 0w30, 0w20 or the oem 5w20. The forum is about 50/50 5w20 or 5w30. My opinion is 5w30 unless you end up with cold piston slap which is different then hemi tick, if that happens and can happen at temperature above freezing then I'd opt for 0w30. Piston slap generally only happens at cold start when truck has sat a while, and it always goes away when warm.

The forum's top 4 choices for oil are Pennzoil number one oil used on the board, m1 number two used on on board, amsoil 3, or redline which is the 4th most used oil on the board. Penzoils top oil is Ultra line. Another strategy is to add lubegard biotech to any cheap synthetic oil with modern specs to boost the aw/ep additives to much higher levels. There are oil threads if you dare, but if you hemi is wearing good I'm not sure what more you need to know then that. Now oil filters is another big deal, no joke. Use the larger filter it will fit, see oil filter thread page 1 and 93, top two filters are royal purple 20-829 and fram Ultra. That's all I got.

How do you like the truck??

GREAT info as usual Burla !

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far , so good. Funny story. This truck WAS owned by a little old lady. LEGIT! she wanted a small car said truck was to big! What were you thinkin' ? This things huge! Love the longhorn style on the interior. I looked for 2 years for this exact truck. Came fully loaded! Good things come to those who wait!

Attachments

• 20230922_110311.jpg
    20230922_110311.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230922_110503.jpg
    20230922_110503.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230922_110333.jpg
    20230922_110333.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 40

Stringer45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i wouldnt use synthetic oil. it's just a fad and has no business in an automobile.

look for quaker state in a 20w/50

MikeinJaxHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lot's of opinions on oil, so you will get lots of opinions. Do what makes you happy. 5w/20 is the recommended weight. I use synthetic blend myself. Regular oil changed frequently will work fine.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
F_it....just run straight lucas oil stabilizer and you'll be good to go ;)

On a real note, though... synthetic is the way to go, and considering 5W30 for our HEMI's is just good insurance, well, for me anyways.

I'll not debate it out, but @Burla is one of this Community's foremost brain trust people when it comes to oil and viscosity, etc.

While my 19' has never had an issue from brand new, it was this Community where I learned that 5W30 Red Line High Performance oil and the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter combo are highly revered to be ones that contribute to the greatest opportunity of having tick and trouble free engine operations.

This and PUP with BioTech Lubegard additive as an alternative to the above, because the above combo can be a tad more costly.

Either way, welcome to the Ram Forum Family, and enjoy a great community where the knowledgebase is off the charts!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So far , so good. Funny story. This truck WAS owned by a little old lady. LEGIT! she wanted a small car said truck was to big! What were you thinkin' ? This things huge! Love the longhorn style on the interior. I looked for 2 years for this exact truck. Came fully loaded! Good things come to those who wait!
I call it like it is, that truck is BAD A S S ...