Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The manual recommends it. That you seem to need additional adjectival comment like “add longevity” is likely not in any owners manual for any brand. Good luck.

Well if they figured it was important enough to say gas milege and cold starting,you can be dammed sure they'd also add longevity to,if they thought 5W-20 added to the life of the engine,lol.
Up till the EPA forced them to remove that note in 2018,all the big printed and online manuals said 5W-30 could be used.
I could care less what you use for oil in your truck,use 5W-20 if you want,but you can substitute 5W-30 if you want,as alot of guys have done,with no issues

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The manual recommends it. That you seem to need additional adjectival comment like “add longevity” is likely not in any owners manual for any brand. Good luck.

We don't need "add longevity" spelled out in an owners manual because this is a fact of tribology; the thicker the oil, the more protection it offers (all else being the same).

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've noticed a trend on my truck....2018, 5.7, 19,900 miles...I don't drive it much so the oil gets changed yearly (~5,000 miles).

The engine is quiet most of the time, for a hemi, but every time I get the oil changed its a bit of a chatterbox for about 300 miles... just the normal startup tick that lasts a few seconds, but it only does it on fresh oil.

It's like it doesn't really like the thicker (fresh) oil... I've always used the Pennzoil 5w20 synthetic blend that the dealer puts in it.

Just an observation.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've noticed a trend on my truck....2018, 5.7, 19,900 miles...I don't drive it much so the oil gets changed yearly (~5,000 miles).

The engine is quiet most of the time, for a hemi, but every time I get the oil changed its a bit of a chatterbox for about 300 miles... just the normal startup tick that lasts a few seconds, but it only does it on fresh oil.

It's like it doesn't really like the thicker (fresh) oil... I've always used the Pennzoil 5w20 synthetic blend that the dealer puts in it.

Just an observation.

Check out the Lube Gard thread,it might be something you'll want to look into adding to your semi-synthetic blend.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well if they figured it was important enough to say gas milege and cold starting,you can be dammed sure they'd also add longevity to,if they thought 5W-20 added to the life of the engine,lol.
Up till the EPA forced them to remove that note in 2018,all the big printed and online manuals said 5W-30 could be used.
I could care less what you use for oil in your truck,use 5W-20 if you want,but you can substitute 5W-30 if you want,as alot of guys have done,with no issues
Back at you. Sorry you took it personally.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Duplicate comment