Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm losing track on how many times this has worked, thanks for the update.

The Ram corporation should be reading this.

Do people actually think the "Tick" is a bad thing like the motor is going to fail..? Because it IS normal and NOT a bad thing... Or is it more of an annoyance to you guys..?

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do people actually think the "Tick" is a bad thing like the motor is going to fail..? Because it IS normal and NOT a bad thing... Or is it more of an annoyance to you guys..?

Normal? Depends on who you ask. Its hit or miss with these engines. It is a characteristic of them though. Some are way louder than others. I think most people find it annoying. If there is an option to quiet the tick most would take it.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
"where I live" should have given you a clue that Amazon wasn't an option. But I guess you didn't see that on your SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk :blah:

Did I say something that deserved an idiotic comment!? Last I checked Amazon ships to Canada. Probably still would be a lot cheaper that $20 quart even with a little extra in shipping costs. No need to respond like that. Trying to help a fellow member...give it a try some time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did I say something that deserved an idiotic comment!? Last I checked Amazon ships to Canada. Probably still would be a lot cheaper that $20 quart even with a little extra in shipping costs. No need to respond like that. Trying to help a fellow member...give it a try some time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don't think he meant it to be a smart ass. I read it as he should have mentioned where he lives bc on mobile it doesn't display location.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't think he meant it to be a smart ass. I read it as he should have mentioned where he lives bc on mobile it doesn't display location.

I was responding to you and he obviously knew it because he quoted you on "where I live". Smartass remark that was uncalled for and un needed.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was responding to you and he obviously knew it because he quoted you on "where I live". Smartass remark that was uncalled for and un needed.

Kk just re-read it lol. I don't order from Amazon but I might now. I will check the links u posted. Thanks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just looked up VOA of Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium and to my surprise there is no Moly in there, that is just stupid IMO. Might be great oil, but liqui moly made a name with Moly additives and has none or 1 ppm in their oil.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't know if I think it's a bad thing, but what I think is that if a motor is ticking be it piston slap, lifters, valve springs or what ever something is comming together to make the noise, and noise = friction and if I can put a better oil formula in the motor and the friction is reduced by better lube and the noise goes away I would say that's a good thing less friction = longer life. I guess maybe I do think its a bad thing. My truck ticked where I could here it from my house when the truck was running at my barn 70 feet away. After 300 miles with 0w30 redline all I can here is the injectors.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For what it's worth, I have now read several posts in forums where a particular vehicle has noisy valve trains at start up similar to the hemi, and Motul 8100 0W20 ECO-LITE has had very similar results to what we are getting with Redline. Motul is 22 bucks a liter which is 1.05 quarts. I think they were searching for an answer like I was, but the last one was an Audi forum so maybe in those circles Motul is a bigger name then redline. Anyhow, it is basically the same stuff with the same results. The guys seamed very happy with it. I miss my Hemi tick as much as I miss the hemorrhoid I got cut out last year.

There is an API sigia right on the Motul bottle. Not sure if it is just a recommendation or if it is actually certified.

Looked it up, Motul isn't API cert and is double the cost of redline.

Last edited:

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don't know if I think it's a bad thing, but what I think is that if a motor is ticking be it piston slap, lifters, valve springs or what ever something is comming together to make the noise, and noise = friction and if I can put a better oil formula in the motor and the friction is reduced by better lube and the noise goes away I would say that's a good thing less friction = longer life. I guess maybe I do think its a bad thing. My truck ticked where I could here it from my house when the truck was running at my barn 70 feet away. After 300 miles with 0w30 redline all I can here is the injectors.

Maybe on your high mileage hemi might have piston wear issues, etc. But new ones the tick is normal. It all has to do with the MDS setup being that it's all hydraulic pressure related. It is not metal on metal interference friction noises. A better oil doesn't necessarily make it go away. It has to do with the properties that make up each oil manufacturers engine oil. Even with the exact same grade whether it be 5w-20 or 10w30 there are still viscous differences, additives, etc and so forth between manufacturers.

Yes it's perfectly fine to test and try different brands to help quiet the tick noise. But whatever you do NOT change grades with the newer VVT engines. It says 5w-20 so use 5w-20..!

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I did a bunch of research in the end I wanted to get AmsOil. But I called two dealers they did not have the oil or filter. I work too much and need to do the change with the time I had available. So I figured Pennsoil Ultra is getting really good reviews and specs,

Should be able to get at any auto parts store. Not true, all parts stores I called said they only had the Platinum. But I found 5qt jugs at walmart for $28each. They individual qts were $9. Thing about wanted to go 8-9k miles is to have a filter that will last. So the stock Mopar is not it.

When I went to the parts store there were two filters that advertised to be used with Syn oil. Mobile-1 and K&N I got the K&N, I have no idea if its a good filter. Hope so. This is my first change to Syn at 4200miles I changed the reg oil twice before hand. I have not heard any tic since I bought the truck, it runs smooth as silk so far.

I am going to put a nick on the dip stick so I can tell if its burning loosing oil. I get about 3oz every 800 miles in my catch can, I assume its not all oil maybe a little water.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now here's a question! Has anyone heard the tick with the factory oil (not dealer oil)?

jaredb909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Amsoil. End of discussion

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
good thread......all quality oils too. I use mobil 1 .... all synthetics in the pumpkins....tranny gets the oem mopar from the dealer...ever since I bought the RAM.

At the risk of saying I'm nuts, I add motorkote too everything mechanical I own even the systems,ie; power steering, tranny,....even the hinges! And here is why,
[yt]gIEZ58wnUyM[/yt]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was curious to know for sure and I sent an email to redline asking them the type of Moly they use, and here was the response. I was 99% sure of this anyway, after using mos2 and seeing the solids in the container and using redline and seeing no solids in the bottom of the container, but now it is 100% sure. The Moly Redline and most other oils use is soluble and is not the same Moly in moly additives. The moly in passenger car oils is way more beneficial then the moly you get in additives.

Burla,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the molybdenum used in our oil is an organic moly, different from molybdenum disulfide.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil