Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found 5-30 to be less noisy im guessing it cushions the parts better i am wondering about a couple of things as to oil temps it seems the heavier the oil the cooler it tends to run and if it never gets hot enough on each normal run doesnt that lead to gunk build up in the motor? Also was reading up on filters and it was saying filters are designed for a vehicle based on the "normal" running parameters so it said if running a thicker viscosity with higher than normal PSI could trigger the bypass to open letting oil free flow thru the motor without it passing thru the filter media. Not sure how much a increase in oil weight it would take for this to happen but would figure it would be above 40 maybe even 50. Maybe someone here knows.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far my oil psi at operating temp is within 1-2psi of 20wt. I was really expecting a bigger difference in oil psi using 30wt. At 65mph its about 52-54psi and at idle in park its about 33psi. RL 5w20 was virtually the same at 65mph and around 31 at idle in park. The lowest I ever saw it go was in the middle of summer while I was running PP, it dipped down to 23psi while I was at a stoplight. But knowing what I know now about the GTL oils being on the thin side, it makes sense. Given all that, IMO it would take a full 7 quarts of at least 40wt oil to trigger the bypass valve in the filter.

Anyone else running 5w30 have any drastic increases in oil psi?

Also it does seem to warm up as quick as any 20wt I ran but it did just finally get into the 70s here so it's tough to compare it.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think RLK said his was running 44psi at idle that's about 8 lbs more than mine.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think RLK said his was running 44psi at idle that's about 8 lbs more than mine.
That's correct Sir , but only 55 psig @ 55mph .
That's while running a mixture of 3ea 0W -40 RL & 4ea 5W -30 RL oil .
Basically the same #s within a couple psi of the PYB 20wt oil I ran previously with a paper pureoilater filter though ?

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just ran across this Syn was interested in doing as a SRT does here is a brekdown of its oiling system much different from ours but at the end the oil filter it uses will work on ours and sounds like if you run thicker oil it could be a good one to use.................................The SRT® 6.4-liter HEMI® engine, standard in 300 SRT, Charger SRT, Challenger SRT and Grand Cherokee SRT vehicles, is equipped with a severe-duty oiling system developed to maintain pressure under extreme conditions. SRT engineers added a higher pressure oil pump relief valve, relying on a stiffer internal spring, to help maintain higher oil pressure under all driving conditions.

Oil pickup tubes have been shape-optimized to be efficient under a wider array of operational parameters. To help keep temperatures under control, while operating under intensified load conditions, oil squirters have been added off of the main oil gallery, with the specific intent of lowering piston temperatures.

Additional oil flow through the piston-squirters requires higher oil pressure within the engine’s block. This incremental oil pressurization specific to SRT applications yields efficiency benefits a casual observer might not anticipate.

“Higher oil pressure is about more than sustainability under extreme conditions,” said Kraig Courtney, 6.4-liter engine supervisor. “Increased operational oil flow at a higher level of pressurization is an efficiency enabler, as well.”

Oil pressure management is critical to variable camshaft timing calibrations and variable displacement applications.

“Variable camshaft timing is a ‘three green’ technology,” says Courtney. “It improves fuel economy, reduces part-throttle emissions, and provides improved engine response when the light turns green. It’s a win-win-win technology.”

Higher oil pressure also enables efficient cylinder deactivation, delivering fuel economy benefits in steady-state cruising conditions.

When an SRT owner takes their vehicle to a driving event with the specific intent of exploring the far reaches of the performance envelope, they can rest assured that the 6.4-liter HEMI engine will sustain proper oil-pressures in extreme cornering conditions. For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter (part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it works great with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higher differential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filter element

“Modified oil pickup tubes, the piston-squirter jets, and the oil pan work in harmony to keep operating temperatures down, and efficiency up, at sustained higher oil pressures,” added Courtney.

The SRT 6.4-liter oil pan is die cast aluminum to save weight and improve heat dissipation, featuring baffles and precisely managed drainage to prevent oil sloshing or starvation under hard cornering situations.

What does it all mean? Push it hard under closed-course conditions to experience peak performance and response. Or set the cruise-control button and cruise at peak efficiency levels. It’s your choice. No pressure.

Categorized in: Technology News, Vehicle News

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just ran across this Syn was interested in doing as a SRT does here is a brekdown of its oiling system much different from ours but at the end the oil filter it uses will work on ours and sounds like if you run thicker oil it could be a good one to use.................................The SRT® 6.4-liter HEMI® engine, standard in 300 SRT, Charger SRT, Challenger SRT and Grand Cherokee SRT vehicles, is equipped with a severe-duty oiling system developed to maintain pressure under extreme conditions. SRT engineers added a higher pressure oil pump relief valve, relying on a stiffer internal spring, to help maintain higher oil pressure under all driving conditions.

Oil pickup tubes have been shape-optimized to be efficient under a wider array of operational parameters. To help keep temperatures under control, while operating under intensified load conditions, oil squirters have been added off of the main oil gallery, with the specific intent of lowering piston temperatures.

Additional oil flow through the piston-squirters requires higher oil pressure within the engine’s block. This incremental oil pressurization specific to SRT applications yields efficiency benefits a casual observer might not anticipate.

“Higher oil pressure is about more than sustainability under extreme conditions,” said Kraig Courtney, 6.4-liter engine supervisor. “Increased operational oil flow at a higher level of pressurization is an efficiency enabler, as well.”

Oil pressure management is critical to variable camshaft timing calibrations and variable displacement applications.

“Variable camshaft timing is a ‘three green’ technology,” says Courtney. “It improves fuel economy, reduces part-throttle emissions, and provides improved engine response when the light turns green. It’s a win-win-win technology.”

Higher oil pressure also enables efficient cylinder deactivation, delivering fuel economy benefits in steady-state cruising conditions.

When an SRT owner takes their vehicle to a driving event with the specific intent of exploring the far reaches of the performance envelope, they can rest assured that the 6.4-liter HEMI engine will sustain proper oil-pressures in extreme cornering conditions. For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter (part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it works great with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higher differential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filter element

“Modified oil pickup tubes, the piston-squirter jets, and the oil pan work in harmony to keep operating temperatures down, and efficiency up, at sustained higher oil pressures,” added Courtney.

The SRT 6.4-liter oil pan is die cast aluminum to save weight and improve heat dissipation, featuring baffles and precisely managed drainage to prevent oil sloshing or starvation under hard cornering situations.

What does it all mean? Push it hard under closed-course conditions to experience peak performance and response. Or set the cruise-control button and cruise at peak efficiency levels. It’s your choice. No pressure.

Categorized in: Technology News, Vehicle News

Ive seen the srt filter on amazon for around $10

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
This was the avg stats for driving around today. Qsud 5w30, rp 10-48, 170 t stat, and 3000 circle d. It was about 55psi at 50 mpg.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was the avg stats for driving around today. Qsud 5w30, rp 10-48, 170 t stat, and 3000 circle d.
Ha , so that's where the low fuel light is , lol I've never seen it .
I was down to 62 miles left on the tank the other day and it still didn't come on ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are my normal stats for my morning drive to work .
I'm using Redline oil 7qt fill consisting of 3ea 0W -40 & 4ea 5W -30 oil. With a Royal Purple 10-48 filter .

This photo was in route to work this morning .

uploadfromtaptalk1464692193931.jpg

This was at idle at work with oil temps up to full operating norms for the conditions at hand .

uploadfromtaptalk1464692018462.jpg

And for anyone wandering if a higher wt oil drastically effects mpg ? Well I can't tell , so I'd say maybe just a tiny bit ?

01d9e9f7b005e382302a0a4a7f8c4541.jpg

For those who believes in the oil weight sliding scale my cocktail of oil would be 2.8W-31.4 RL.

My oil temp seems to heat up a bit quicker than my previous 30 weight and the free bulk oil from the dealer .

My oil pressures are very consistent with the PYB 20 weight oil with a paper pureoilater filter I ran in the past .

In closing , for those just tuning in at this point in this syn oil thread .
I've ran a 30 + weight oil for a smigg over 10k miles now and have Zero MDS problems and my 5.7L Hemi has no " hemi tick " ( never has had ) no abnormalities at all and runs smooth and quiet at all operating ranges .

Hope this helps .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464692018462.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464692018462.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464692193931.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464692193931.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are my normal stats for my morning drive to work .
I'm using Redline oil 7qt fill consisting of 3ea 0W -40 & 4ea 5W -30 oil. With a Royal Purple 10-48 filter .

This photo was in route to work this morning .

View attachment 72237

This was at idle at work with oil temps up to full operating norms for the conditions at hand .

View attachment 72236

And for anyone wandering if a higher wt oil drastically effects mpg ? Well I can't tell , so I'd say maybe just a tiny bit ?

01d9e9f7b005e382302a0a4a7f8c4541.jpg

For those who believes in the oil weight sliding scale my cocktail of oil would be 2.8W-31.4 RL.

My oil temp seems to heat up a bit quicker than my previous 30 weight and the free bulk oil from the dealer .

My oil pressures are very consistent with the PYB 20 weight oil with a paper pureoilater filter I ran in the past .

Hope this helps .
Cruising oil psi is about the same as my truck. Your idle even with PYB 5w20 is about 10-12psi higher than mine. Probably just variations in tolerances. Chrysler says anything above 5psi at idle at operating temp is acceptable as per the 2009 Ram service manual I have so I'm not too concerned about mine being around 32 at idle. Just thought it was interesting.

Thanks for posting!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard the 5psi quote at idle before? That seems crazy huh .

Actually my hot oil idle with pyb 20 weight oil was not 44 psig , it was lower , I believe it was close to yours ? I was more referring to the while driving pressures .

All this psig / temps and stuff kinda running together LOL

That's why I'm taking pictures now getting old sucks , the o'l noodle just doesn't seem to have much space left for retaining NEW information!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard the 5psi quote at idle before? That seems crazy huh .

Actually my hot oil idle with pyb 20 weight oil was not 44 psig , it was lower , I believe it was close to yours ? I was more referring to the while driving pressures .

All this psig / temps and stuff kinda running together LOL

That's why I'm taking pictures now [emoji38]getting old sucks , the o'l noodle just doesn't seem to have much space left for retaining NEW information!

I know, 5psi is waaaay too low for my comfort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I know, 5psi is waaaay too low for my comfort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holy cow if I saw 5 PSI id shut it of ASAP!! tow it to the desired location after figuring out the plan. thats just me though.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the way home today from work warmer OAT , this is typical , remember I'm running 3ea qts 0W 40 & 4ea qts of 5W -30 ....

As you can see , 42 psig @ an oil temp at operating temps while at idle , and while the oil temps was lower than up to normal temps of 200 +- the driving at speed psig of the oil was still not so high with my 40/30 weight cocktail .

The second picture below shows my mpg , round trip to work .... this is exactly the same as the mpg I've recorded many times prior , with the dealers bulk oil crap and the 20wt PYB I've ran . So if there's a real mpg change with oil weights ..... well it isn't much ... I'd say .05 t0 .025 miles per gallon , basically not enough to make a difference in your wallet ..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464729473767.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464729473767.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464729531488.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464729531488.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464729594879.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464729594879.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hemi tick decoded.... in my truck at least.. you know the fast tick sometimes that just happens and just ****** you off cause its always where someone can hear it! , well I figured out what will cause it, not why but when it will happen. I thought I had it figured before but a step was left out so i didnt get the expected result. If any have the urge do this... and you must do it exactly as described ...after driving when truck has reached operating temps and you park it for several hours and it has cooled all the way down, crank it and let it run a few minutes no more than 5 or move it several hundred feet then turn it off. now after it sits for several minutes maybe 15 or so the next start it will fast tick till oil gets pumping back up. Raven posted his thoughts on what causes it and now you will know when its going to happen and can avoid embarrassment. :) Would love to know if this does it on other 5.7's it works on mine everytime... anybody else willing to try?:crazy: also it doesn't matter what oil or filter you have.

Last edited: