Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the hemi, my opinion is to follow the noises of the engine. I know some guys go crazy with this, which is not my intention, we have guys so scared about hemi tick they think any noise is a sign. This was the downside of all of this talk.

But, I would run 5w30 redline as much as possible if it were me, in the 5.7 and 6.4. The most proven tick killer and guys with hemi tick have smooth engines that have lasted a decade in a lot of cases, including mine which was silenced in 2011, so soon to be a decade. Very low miles, but many other guys also came on board 2011 and 2012 with this strategy and knock wood so far so good.

The only time I would consider anything other then 5w30 redline (my opinion only on this) is if you get cold piston slap. Then I would go to whatever worked even 0w20 as long as I don't have warm idle tick and if possible kill cold piston slap. Also, don't forget the other options if you are in the cold, engine block heating or sump heating. I forget who put theirs in first but they both did it, kyle and corey, so how is it working guys?? hopefully they chime in because they both are in snow and both had cold piston and both had hemi tick.

According to Hammers chart 0w30 is a very short swing at the issue of cold piston slap, whereas 20 weight anything would be a larger one. If 20 weight keeps piston slap and hemi tick away but 5w30 has cold piston slap, I would use 5w20. I had good luck with 5w20 redline personally, I was one of the last guys to move to 5w30 of this group.

Either choice 20 weight redline or 0w30 comes with a risk, pick your poison. 0w30 redline has been a proven tick killer even in rams that ticked on 5w20 redline- IE corey's truck, proven and backed with audio/video, and also in his truck was "better" at cold piston slap. To be honest, he is the guy you should be asking. In theory one will be better at cold piston slap and the other one will be better at hemi tick. It's a judgement call, what works in Corey's truck might not work in your truck, what works in mine might not work in yours. Corey and I have had completely different results with same redlines. Hope you make the right choice and save yourself from wasting some oil.

Thanks for the response. I'm leaning with trying the 0w30 first and seeing how it goes. Also going to run my first oil analysis since I'm almost done on my second change of redline.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning with trying the 0w30 first and seeing how it goes. Also going to run my first oil analysis since I'm almost done on my second change of redline.

Also, try some Miracle Mystery oil in the gas.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is a safe amount of gas to be around? You know I often wonder about how safe it is to pour gas from a 2 gallon gas can. Even static electricity can light gas. Imagine this numbwit if he had some static electricity when you poured these 5 gallons of gas. I don't know why guys think pouring gas is safe because it wont light until you tell it to, lol. It's called vapors, and it aint safe, and you can burn ya ***. be careful

If this is a spoof, they got me. I know there is a group that run spoofs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What are peoples thoughts based on facts and looking at uoa's of oils that tend to have lower wear numbers then other oils? Does anyone have any thoughts about oils that tend to have higher wear numbers? I see redline tends to shine in hemi tick engines on uoa's, but if the engine is perfect running imo redline doesn't produce lower then average wear numbers. Now when you run redline for every interval for many years like Ronnie did, then you do see good wear numbers. Corey's report prime example, redline wears lower then even other top oils but his engine is a hemi tick engine, so it makes sense you kill the tick the wear goes down against oils that make the engine tick. I don't have easy access to that report, maybe he can post it. BUT, big but there, we have seen many uoa's in proper running hemi's that redline wears higher then other oils.

Clearly, we don't have enough data to establish a correlation, but what are peoples list of oils that tend to produce lower wear numbers then average.

Mine starts like this... IMO it seams like these two tend to have low wear numbers, thoughts?

1-PUP
2-Amsoil

Interesting report on Shaeffers where a fella ran it hard in a hemi, and still have really low wear numbers. Almost the same iron number as his last report. I'm not sure Shaeffers would be in the same class as my top two, but maybe it is, I haven't seen enough.

blackstone-png.33176

I thought Ronnies report is interesting, this wasn't his latest report where I think his wear numbers continue to drop. But, as you see he ran I think PUP for a 2100 mile run, and to say the least his Redline runs were equal when considering mileage, so the longer you run redline the more it seams to equal top oils.

.com%2F20180420%2F531ead6f164a7aa58310c32ec10a9504.png

How much stock should someone put in uoa's that are a few numbers off? To each their own, I'm sure there are examples of the cheapest oil having better wear numbers then the most expensive oil. So why run an expensive oil if a cheaper one will net the same uoa result?

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
So I guess I need to have my oil test posted on my new truck, with God knows what VS the Shaf oil now in it and see after secound change is better with Shaf..........

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
1-PUP
2-Amsoil

Interesting report on Shaeffers where a fella ran it hard in a hemi, and still have really low wear numbers. Almost the same iron number as his last report. I'm not sure Shaeffers would be in the same class as my top two, but maybe it is, I haven't seen enough.

Sh
Shaeffers is a very good oil

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/analysis-of-schaeffers-9000-5w-40-synthetic.74736/
https://www.schaefferoil.com/701-synthetic-plus.html

Another oil many people use who have used Redline is Shell Rotella T6

Shaeffers & T6 is PAO, Redline is PAO and ester

****** Oil Analysis

Rotell T6
0w40
Quarts Used
Molyboenum 5
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium 9
Boron 49
Silicon 40
Sodium 7
Calcium 2,133
Magnesium 20
Phosphorus 1,125
Zinc 1,181
Barium -

PUP
0w40
Quarts Used 5w 40
Molyboenum 241
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium -
Boron 251
Silicon 6
Sodium 2
Calcium 1,080
Magnesium 758
Phosphorus 694
Zinc 753
Barium -

Red line
0w 40
Molyboenum 624
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium 3
Boron 113
Silicon 15
Sodium 14
Calcium 3,043
Magnesium 10
Phosphorus 1,263
Zinc 1,498
Barium -

Amsoil Sig Series
0w40
Quarts Used
Molyboenum 210
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 311
Silicon 7
Sodium 5
Calcium 1350
Magnesium 970
Phosphorus 692
Zinc 766
Barium 0

You can see that T6 and Redline both have a lot of cleaning agents in them.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Sh
Shaeffers is a very good oil

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/analysis-of-schaeffers-9000-5w-40-synthetic.74736/
https://www.schaefferoil.com/701-synthetic-plus.html

Another oil many people use who have used Redline is Shell Rotella T6

Shaeffers & T6 is PAO, Redline is PAO and ester

****** Oil Analysis

Rotell T6
0w40
Quarts Used
Molyboenum 5
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium 9
Boron 49
Silicon 40
Sodium 7
Calcium 2,133
Magnesium 20
Phosphorus 1,125
Zinc 1,181
Barium -

PUP
0w40
Quarts Used 5w 40
Molyboenum 241
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium -
Boron 251
Silicon 6
Sodium 2
Calcium 1,080
Magnesium 758
Phosphorus 694
Zinc 753
Barium -

Red line
0w 40
Molyboenum 624
Nickel -
Manganese -
Silver -
Titanium -
Potassium 3
Boron 113
Silicon 15
Sodium 14
Calcium 3,043
Magnesium 10
Phosphorus 1,263
Zinc 1,498
Barium -

Amsoil Sig Series
0w40
Quarts Used
Molyboenum 210
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 311
Silicon 7
Sodium 5
Calcium 1350
Magnesium 970
Phosphorus 692
Zinc 766
Barium 0

You can see that T6 and Redline both have a lot of cleaning agents in them.
Good info, thanks for posting it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What are peoples thoughts based on facts and looking at uoa's of oils that tend to have lower wear numbers then other oils? Does anyone have any thoughts about oils that tend to have higher wear numbers? I see redline tends to shine in hemi tick engines on uoa's, but if the engine is perfect running imo redline doesn't produce lower then average wear numbers. Now when you run redline for every interval for many years like Ronnie did, then you do see good wear numbers. Corey's report prime example, redline wears lower then even other top oils but his engine is a hemi tick engine, so it makes sense you kill the tick the wear goes down against oils that make the engine tick. I don't have easy access to that report, maybe he can post it. BUT, big but there, we have seen many uoa's in proper running hemi's that redline wears higher then other oils.

Clearly, we don't have enough data to establish a correlation, but what are peoples list of oils that tend to produce lower wear numbers then average.

Mine starts like this... IMO it seams like these two tend to have low wear numbers, thoughts?

1-PUP
2-Amsoil

blackstone-png.33176

I thought Ronnies report is interesting, this wasn't his latest report where I think his wear numbers continue to drop. But, as you see he ran I think PUP for a 2100 mile run, and to say the least his Redline runs were equal when considering mileage, so the longer you run redline the more it seams to equal top oils.

.com%2F20180420%2F531ead6f164a7aa58310c32ec10a9504.png

How much stock should someone put in uoa's that are a few numbers off? To each their own, I'm sure there are examples of the cheapest oil having better wear numbers then the most expensive oil. So why run an expensive oil if a cheaper one will net the same uoa result?

I think RL pulls any remaining break in metal and/or ticking wear metals out of the motor the first few times you run it. After that it will show normal wear numbers for a hemi. I would imagine it would take a minimum of 4 OCIs with RL to flush out any remaining metal and start showing good UOAs. After seeing Uncle Tonys explanation of why the lifters fail I can definitely see why it would take several OCIs to flush any metal out of the motor.

BUT with on a normal quiet Hemi (or any other motor for that matter) PUP/Amsoil/Schaeffers will produce very low wear metals in UOAs.....

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If i didn need to worry about my hemi and Tic id use any of these BRANDS (in a good synthetic) in no specific order as they are all great oil

M1
Castrol
PUP
Amsoil SS
Schaeffers
Motul
Rotella

I know im missing some.

Point is. They all produce good numbers. And the numbers on UOA that we see depend a lot on what we subject our vehicles to. Even weather as we know for example cold starts in cold climates can increase wear. Just an example.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hell if my Hemi wasn't ticking like a sewing machine when it was new I would be running Walmart M1/PP[emoji23][emoji23]

No,

You cant fool us Corey. You would run a different oil every time and report back with a sound clip of hot idle

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No,

You cant fool us Corey. You would run a different oil every time and report back with a sound clip of hot idle

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

LMAO probably [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
kirkland 5w30, good moly, super high boron and viscosity index at 176. 15 bucks for a 5 qrt jug everyday price, sold in 2's. Blows the door off any reoccurring oil deals anywhere. Middle viscosity oil, seams like a great choice for a hemi for guys wanting close to oem fluid, especially high mileage. If not for hemi tick, I'd be running this plus lubegard, no doubt.

Approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ Gen 2 5W-30.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
LMAO

We posted the same link[emoji23][emoji23]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
How does a fully synthetic oil with that additive package sell for 3 bucks a qrt everyday price and carry the actual specs, lol?

__57.jpg

OIP.jpg

I know EXACTLY how.

Because everyone else overcharges for their oil.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981