Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least we can say he has been consistent in his advocacy for Moly and it's extremely good results for our Hemi's!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True dat! Just picked up some PP and some RP 10-48 filters and ready to make the switch from RP oil and Fram filters.

Needless to say I'm very excited to change my oil in 2 weeks. And that is a sentence i never thought I would say until I discovered this thread. All you guys on this thread are incredible (sans the moly-naysayers... lol)

Sent via telepathy

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
ok.....so PUP 10w-30 is like $25 a jug on amazon. I realize the visc on the cold side would be 10, but why couldnt anybody run this with the pricing / availabiliity issues with the 5w-20 or 5w-30 PUP?

Personally, I am from Long Island NY. Typically the coldest we ever seen is single digits at night during a real cold snap, but usually its teens, 20's and 30's in the winter here. Any reason why i couldn't use the 10w-30 PUP ??

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
ok.....so PUP 10w-30 is like $25 a jug on amazon. I realize the visc on the cold side would be 10, but why couldnt anybody run this with the pricing / availabiliity issues with the 5w-20 or 5w-30 PUP?

Personally, I am from Long Island NY. Typically the coldest we ever seen is single digits at night during a real cold snap, but usually its teens, 20's and 30's in the winter here. Any reason why i couldn't use the 10w-30 PUP ??

You probably can just fine but it is a bit thick at startup where as we have said wear does occur when starting and getting up to temp.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I just met an old (not really much older than me.....) dude yesterday with a 2014 Red Laramie. He buys and sell Tractors and travels all over to get them and deliver them.

He's got 131,000 miles on it and I asked him what kind of oil he uses. He said "whatever the dealer uses for the cheap oil changes" so I'm guessing it's just a bulk oil. Probably a 5w20, because he didn't know.

He tows a LOT with it, but I think mostly he sells 30 / 50 HP tractors. I don't see him getting into the big huge ones.

He also runs the factory type P tires because he say's they ride so much better and are quieter and he spends a lot of time on the road.

He absolutely LOVES his Ram....

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

During the summer month I would say 10W-30 PUP would be a great selection.
During your winters in NY if you want/like possibly switch to 5W-30 or 5W-20!

I am living proof with many years since I was 16 of running 10W-30 in all my autos year round. Both my 2 trucks had over 200K miles on the motors at the time of sale. Mind you I used Conventional QS Deluxe 10W-30 with a Orange can Fram Filter & Never an issue.
&
Today's Synthetic 10W-30 have much better flow/pump characteristics then in the 80's. Night & Day difference!

Don't ever be brainwashed into thinking the 10W-30 viscosity is thick.
PUP 10W-30 has a pour point of -45*F if I remember correctly.

The key is to illuminate as many cold weather start up and long idle times as possible. Start your truck let it idle for a couple minutes and then slowly drive away get that oil up to Temp as fast as you can.

Jones what type/brand of oil filter you plan on running with the PUP?

Just remember fellas just keeping and doing good routine maintenance on these engines is going to get you well past 300,000 miles don't get caught Up to much in the most engine wear occurs here thing!!

Keep that Air intake system clean
Use a Top Quality Oil/Filter
Establish the proper OCI for your driving style/habits
Drive like a civilized human being
Eliminate as much cold start up idle time as possible
Try to get that oil up to operating temp every time you drive (To evaporate all the moisture & cook out as much carbon deposit as possible).

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the favorable traits of the PUP I've found is it does heat up quickly . I'm running a mixture 50/50 mix of 0W-40 & 5w30 PUP right now .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
At least we can say he has been consistent in his advocacy for Moly and it's extremely good results for our Hemi's!!

Well some things have happened since then, number one redline might not be the highest formula Moly out there if Motul kept their moly level, more work needs to be done there. Two, we have found out that there is at least some info that a 250 moly count will kept tick away. And three and I personally don't think it is coincidence, 6 cam failures in a row were all using non-moly oils. Anyone can search cam and lifter failures and see where I asked the poster the question on what oil they used. And 4 after that Post Smiley posted date 2013, Ram with Penzoil made an oil with quadruple the moly as their Hemi specific oil. What do they know?

Well, I rest my case on the issue of moly, I'm glad I could be of help. Is it a magic bullet? Well it is possible as proven by every guy who ended his tick trying high moly. I'm not 100% sure (obviously) that it can cure poor lifter design, but I don't know how anyone can deny Moly is a beneficial element for the hemi engine. I am sorry for posting it so much, sometimes I feel like a broken record, but new guys keep asking the questions. And personally I think we need more of a control group with more options like 0w40 PUP, Motul or other high moly oils like Shaeffers or Eneos. We still need some answers. Guys who get the tick, the forum still needs you. We still don't know what moly level is most beneficial, but we do know 500ppm is a given, and plenty of evidence over 200ppm is good as well. PYB seams to be hot or miss unfortunately, but that has quieted some ticks. And still waiting on the liqui moly oil soluble moly to come to the US. That's it, carry on.

Does anyone still have access to Syn's moly bible, good read for those who haven't read it.

Just tell the new guys look at post 8438 for my case on moly.

I just add moly basics in sig so I don't have to post anymore. I don't know anyone who would bother to make a case against moly, if you want to try I'm all ears.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Here is my thoughts. The government has shrunk our zinc and phosphorus levels in every oil. (To supposedly protect the kitty's). Except racing oils!

Pennzoil & the SRT team realizes the importance of the anti-wear additives within the so called Hemi motors & had to triple the Moly count too compensate for the low levels of ZDDP.

Thus the SRT 0W-40! I only wish they would do this within all of the ultra platinum oil Viscositys

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if mixing a couple racing oils in with regular oil would be a bad thing ?

Or mixing in a couple break in oils ?

Thoughts ...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Many within BITOG have done that RLK with M1 0W-30 Racing.

Like I have posted many many months ago I would really like to find information actual data not Internet spewage that shows me the actual safe limit for zinc and phosphorus within an oil which will not harm the cats but also benefit low engine wear

Here is a product I have been looking at.
It might make the SRT oil a pretty all around robust oil for my RAM.

ZDDPPlus ZDDP Engine Oil Additive Zinc & Phosphorus 2 Bottles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LB70SW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Y0JAzb3QMN5M9

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Never mix racing oils it will mess your interval. Unless Syn knows something I don't. Modern day break in oils, are just regular oils of the past. You would have to be specific as opposed to just say'n break in oil in general. let us take a look at the additive package.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Actually I looked it up, m1 racing oil not like others. Supposedly high tbn, high moly and phos. In that case, it would be ok. I couldn't view the actually voa, I was just commenting on the posts of the guys commenting on the voa who saw it. Gonna try and find a voa of it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not looking to mix racing or break in oil my self at least not now , as I've only just begun my PUP Uoa Program. ...about 1k in right now on my 50/50 mix of 30 & 40 wt PUP.
I currently have one more PUP oci to do per the Pennzoil UOA Program , then I'll likely go back to Redline 5W-30 providing the molybdenum is still at 500 ppm.

This is why I brought up mixing racing , or break in oil for the discussion here as in the future if Redline reduces molybdenum levels I'd be looking for other solutions .

Fwiw , @ 1k on my 30/40 mix of pup my hemi is still very smooth & quiet .
FYI to any that do not know ...I never had a tick , just a realy loud 5.7L . So loud my wife asked if something was wrong with my truck , so loud I had to repeat myself at drive through.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Damn are you kidding me? 5w20 is on sale, lol. 128 bucks, oh hell why not? Make it 3 cases today.

Wait even cheaper, dang. 119? Only 7 left.

Ok damn it was nice knowing you guys, my wife will kill me later. That 119 deal even better, no tax so that was the shipped to my door cost. Over 400 dollars in oil, I don't know how I can hide this from the boss, lol. My engine was just as smooth with the 20 weight as 30, so I will take the 15 dollar savings plus 11 tax break on at least one case.

Oops even cheaper on ebay, free shipping over 100 bucks, damn. Less the 10 bucks a qrt, buy now fellas.

Both deals less the 10 bucks a qrt, if you don't buy Redline when it is under 10 bucks a qrt, you mise well never run it. Stick to coscto deal m1.

I purchased the oil for my next oil change today @ Farm n Fleet...Citgo Semi Syn 5w30 @ $1.00 per Qt clearance...My Bosch filters cost me $4.00...YUM...YUM...Mo money fo da **********...lol...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And if it is this, you got moly. Quite a deal. This one even more moly. That last one may be diesel.

That oil looks pretty good, great for a dollar. I would run that before I would run a couple name brands you see on every shelf.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
FYI,

Don't check the box on the bottom of your oil analysis saying to send more sample kits unless you want six of them. LOL!

They REALLY want me to do more samples.:roflsquared:

As far as LIQUI MOLY additive..... I thought we were under the impression it's not the greatest being it's in a form of a solid not even organic Molly.

Sorry if I missed it but do we have any information on oil analysis with and without the additive?

Just off the top of my head without any information it seems like a solid Molly and your oil would be caught by the oil filter.