Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 995 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is a reason why the ASTM exist (read here), they are what the oil industry has came up and designed to PUSH oils past their limits to test the quality of the base oil, understand one thing if your test does not include pushing your oil past how the operate, then your test is less then how the oil industry tests oils, not more then. To give that credibility is to have a misunderstanding how to judge an oil.

ASTM 5800
ASTM D5481

Why is it beneficial to test an oil at 300F? Because there are impurities and additives such as waxes or viscosity improvers that can withstand an initial test at operating temps, but to push the oil to the limits under high heat is the only way to judge engine oils that is credible. It will not only show you the quality of the base oils, but it will show you how they will operate long term under operating temps. Simply heating an oil up to 212f once and testing it does not judge how that oil will hold up in a engine, and in fact you would suspect that a conventional oil with waxes would do good for a quick initial heating of 212, or even test them cold. There is a reason why every oil company uses the ASTM, and not some rat530 hack. In fact every single material is tested by the ASTM not just oil. If you are in any industry, you know the difference between one ATSM rating and another. Try having some little rat pick a plumbing pipe for you instead of using schedule 40 ASTM ratings. You wouldn't pick something your life depends on without looking to the astm's, don't pick an oil without considering them as well.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Syn, you've got me confused. You're not willing to use Castrol 0/40 in you're 5.7 because of no moly or zinc, but if you get a 6.4 it would be one of you're top 3 choices. Other that bore and stroke they're basically the same engine aren't they, or does the 6.4 not have MDS?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have used The Belgium made Edge 0W-40 in my 5.7L along with 2 qts of the Belgium made Edge 0W-30 aka German Castrol. That was maybe 316 pages back! Maybe 400 I have no idea!

These 2 oils have a specific application in mind. Already discussed that! The viscosity of these 2 oils are different then others! These 2 oils refuse to shear.

My 5.7L only tows one or two times a year! I have no need for the extremely strong film strength from these oils.
My 5.7L really felt sluggish! It reacts totally different with the SRT 0W-40. Thus the reason I switched!
Mind U my 5.7L had no problems with the MDS the engine only felt slow to rev & I honestly fell victim to my old brain absorbing all the Bull$hit being spread about thick oil! LoL

If we do chose to bring home a 6.4L instead of a 6.7L CTD my 3 oils of choice will be
1. RL 10W-30
2. (Belgium) Castrol Edge 0W-40
3. PP Euro 0W-40

I even considered Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It seems Shell has changed the formulation to appease the EPA. No Thanks! The VOA I witnessed was flat out embarrassing!

I honestly feel this motor put in this situation will shear the living $hit out of the SRT oil as well as the M1 Euro 0W-40. ( within a very short time)

This 6.4L will be exposed too some serious towing thus the reason for these oils.

Once again: Please don't concern yourself with what oil brand or viscosity or filters that I choose to use I'm not here looking for anybody's approval.

I do respect your curiosity and concern!

I'm not your normal owner...
I Pride myself on being totally different & I beat to a totally different drum than anybody else.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
To the guys running 0w40 (super oil class), do some research, some oil companies are putting a high PAO base stock because they have to, but still sell it at their price point. They do this not because they want to, but because they are forced to if they want to meet certain specs that they don't need to do with their 20 or 30 weights.

You guys are gonna like this link, but keep in mind they do have an agenda. He surely is taking to Amsoil, lol.

I don't see the mention of redline. What are your opinoons on their 0w40?

I assume it is mostly ester like the rest of their products.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have we ever witnessed a VOA of RL 0W-40?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I guess my question is when their generic lable is the same on all of them and it says "ester base stock" im assuming it is a majority ester. Is this thinking correct or make sense?

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 17

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
!! THE INFO ON THIS BLOG WAS UPDATED ON August 17, 2017 !!

Updated last week. I cant find anything else to even get close to making an oil decision. Lots of forums, articles and opinions floating around but no Other scientific testing data. Again, this is just some additional info that I think is interesting and should be Considered IMO.
I don't know if it was the original one or an updated one that I read before but he would test an oil and then retest with some additive in and oh wow, see what this additive does. He claims to have no ties or allegannces to any oil or additive company. If that is true and he's doing an oil test why even mention any additive, do the oil test, period. And he sets protection ability by psi, so how many psi are in an engine. Clearly someone paid him it is paying him, what's their ax they have to grind? I'm sure it wasn't done just out of the goodness of his heart so all us normal people could make a decision.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And if you read the whole thing the additive was full of chlorine. But how many people read that or just seen the additive and said man that's some good **** there, gotta get some.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't see the mention of redline. What are your opinoons on their 0w40?

I assume it is mostly ester like the rest of their products.

They didn't mention redline because they know that is a true synthetic oil company. My opinion on their 0w40 comes from the super car builders, I only know they prefer 5w30 redline. I haven't put a lot of thought into it to be honest. If you believe their spokesman Redline is ester and PAO.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I began wondering for 1.4 sec!
Is Fuel System Cleaner Vooo Dooo too?
Oh Lord I hope so!

It is time for Mr. Voo Doos Fuel System Summer Cleaning.
1/2 tank full of 89oct & these 2 bottles.

Syn, I use techron 2X per year since it has been on the market. Long time now. So far I have yet to have a problem and have never had an issue caused by a "dirty fuel system". Just my 2 cents opinion.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have one sent out to blackstone right now. Sent it on Monday
Really looking forward to this! I plan on doing a voa of the reformulated Amsoil SS 5w30 when it comes out so we have an idea what they changed

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Folks every test oil rat530 tested was already and constantly tested with calibrated machines from places like Falex. He say's you should ignore all of those tests and only believe him. I say look at the ASTM's on every oil that is what they are there for. Only astm's will reveal an oils weaknesses. Chances are any of those oils will work just fine in most applications, so it really doesn't matter, but if you want to bother to educate yourself, I say choose international standards for all companies and products as opposed to an internet hacktoider.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I don't know if it was the original one or an updated one that I read before but he would test an oil and then retest with some additive in and oh wow, see what this additive does. He claims to have no ties or allegannces to any oil or additive company. If that is true and he's doing an oil test why even mention any additive, do the oil test, period. And he sets protection ability by psi, so how many psi are in an engine. Clearly someone paid him it is paying him, what's their ax they have to grind? I'm sure it wasn't done just out of the goodness of his heart so all us normal people could make a decision.

Sooo. You think it's all VooDoo....eh

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really looking forward to this! I plan on doing a voa of the reformulated Amsoil SS 5w30 when it comes out so we have an idea what they changed
Really interested in the new ss5/30 myself, but how will you know if it's the new or not. According to their website it will be introduced as old stock is depleted, same price, same part number. Hopefully they will change the label. Depending on how this Castrol tests in a couple of months Amsoil would be my next choice.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really interested in the new ss5/30 myself, but how will you know if it's the new or not. According to their website it will be introduced as old stock is depleted, same price, same part number. Hopefully they will change the label. Depending on how this Castrol tests in a couple of months Amsoil would be my next choice.

I have a voa of Amsoil SS 5w20 that I can compare it to.

Reactions: U&A

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sooo. You think it's all VooDoo....eh
I don't know about vooodooo, it just pissed me off when someone claims to be doing a factual test but then introduces something else into the equation that has nothing to do with the supposed factual test. Just makes me wanna say BS on the whole thing.