Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Ok, that did not answer the question as to why though..... 5.7L holds 7qts, you dont even have enough for 2 changes.

Was just curious is all, seems weird.

Its cheaper to buy in volume and I can use the extra later or on one of my other vehicles.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought the RP filter and 11 quarts of Penzzoil Platinum Ultra. We'll see how this works out. Have been using dino oil with a mopar filter because the dealer did the changes but now I'm doing them.

any reason why you picked the RP filter? Is there info on it being better? Or are there other brands that are preferred for any particular reason or any oil filters that I need to stay away from?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
any reason why you picked the RP filter? Is there info on it being better? Or are there other brands that are preferred for any particular reason or any oil filters that I need to stay away from?

I just cut one open after 14 months and it was performing like new. Also, I replaced it with another synthetic filter, and ended up with an oil flow problem and a louder engine. I changed the filter but not the oil, I run my oil for two years. Look through the syn thread, I posted it all. The RP filter is the one with 8 holes, for whatever reason the puro has a flow issue. I bought it because it was synthetic and cheap, glad I only bought two. I bought a case of RP filters for 72 bucks off amazon, wont be without one again. I'm actually going to have to take this new puro filter off my dam truck. Watch this vid. It was posted recently in a different thread a massive test a dude did on filters and flow, RP was pretty much tied with Amsoil for top spot filters in that study. For what it is worth, Burla wont be using any different filters ever, even in the wife's car. Royal Purple Filters are just perfect, especially for long oil change intervals.

16618148574_b2909b4126_z.jpg

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Summit has good pricing on the filters as well and free shipping over $100. I will try the larger RP filter on the new truck with electric steering to check clearance but I have read most people don't have issues.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So today I took a flashlight and looked inside the puro filter, Holy fart there is like 25% of the holes that the Royal Purple has to allow flow. You can look above and see the RP filter, many little holes. Burla is learning some new stuff here as well fella's, it is just turning out that royal purple filters are just moving to head of the pack with every aspect of a filter. Now, when I first got rid of my tick I had a puro filter on, but it was the paper one, and for whatever reason that must have had good flow compared to the syn puro filter. For whatever reason my truck is telling me this stuff matters, this flow problem is making my truck sound like chit, and the only thing I did was change the filter. Look how few holes there are in comparison to the RP filter above. IMO it is just as important as a good oil choice to have a good filter choice.

17246737075_7d5129cf10_z.jpg

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you don't develop any weird sounds that you want to address with new oil. What are you using by the way?

Traded in another 5.7 Ram on my current 14 Ram w/5.7. Prior Ram utilized the same oil w/o any noise,,, No noise with the 14 yet,,,

I'm using a semi-syn by Citgo. If I said I paid $9 a qt, folks probably wouldn't flame me as much as if I were to tell you what I actually paid.

And after all, this is a 'synthetic oil' thread,,,

In the eyes of some, I'm already a 'red-headed step-child' just by admitting to using a Semi-syn!!! And Citgo!!??!! Y'all will run me outta town on a rail!!! LOL!!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Traded in another 5.7 Ram on my current 14 Ram w/5.7. Prior Ram utilized the same oil w/o any noise,,, No noise with the 14 yet,,,

I'm using a semi-syn by Citgo. If I said I paid $9 a qt, folks probably wouldn't flame me as much as if I were to tell you what I actually paid.

And after all, this is a 'synthetic oil' thread,,,

In the eyes of some, I'm already a 'red-headed step-child' just by admitting to using a Semi-syn!!! And Citgo!!??!! Y'all will run me outta town on a rail!!! LOL!!!!

This thread isn't about judging people for their oil choice, just providing information. Just like you just provided information that you have had good luck with Citgo Syn Blend, thanks for posting. More posts about more experiences adds to the knowledge base. Now even a conventional oil is turning out to be many guys choice for the 5.7, go figure that hey? Yellow Bottle is pretty dang popular around here.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
So today I took a flashlight and looked inside the puro filter, Holy fart there is like 25% of the holes that the Royal Purple has to allow flow. You can look above and see the RP filter, many little holes. Burla is learning some new stuff here as well fella's, it is just turning out that royal purple filters are just moving to head of the pack with every aspect of a filter. Now, when I first got rid of my tick I had a puro filter on, but it was the paper one, and for whatever reason that must have had good flow compared to the syn puro filter. For whatever reason my truck is telling me this stuff matters, this flow problem is making my truck sound like chit, and the only thing I did was change the filter. Look how few holes there are in comparison to the RP filter above. IMO it is just as important as a good oil choice to have a good filter choice.
Good info. Now if the ******** at RP would hurry up and make one for mine... :flipthebird:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yellow Bottle is pretty dang popular around here.

I'm not really a PZ guy,,, (not sure why) but I did have some experience with YB many moons ago,,

Construction company I worked for had a 1 ton Chebby Crew,, early/mid 80's model I believe. 454 4 speed. 4.11's,,, Had dual pipes and glasspacks, so we all enjoyed making it scream,,, Pulled some 20k+ loads with a 5er on a regular basis,,,

No mercy,,, including fully loaded stop and go in Austin heat or wringing it out till it wouldn't go any faster,,,

It was getting close to 200k on it. Boss decided to get a shortblock / rework the heads. I did the R-N-R in my garage.

Boss always did 3k OCI's with PYB. With all the hell we gave that truck, and my 'dislike' (?) for Pzoil, I figured it would look like warmed over death inside that engine,,,

Except for about a half a teaspoon of light gray 'residue' in the bottom of the pan,,, it was spotless inside.

Again, this was 20+ yrs ago, but it did 'enlighten' me a bit about PZoil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not really a PZ guy,,, (not sure why) but I did have some experience with YB many moons ago,

Again, this was 20+ yrs ago, but it did 'enlighten' me a bit about PZoil.

So in 2002 Shell acquired Penzoil and Quaker State and of course the have Rotella for diesel. Pretty much flipped the oil industry on it's ***. So the oil guys number one brand is Penzoil in the last poll I checked over on BITOG. It's a long story and I'm not long winded, but this aint your Daddy's penzoil company. IMO, Penzoil is leading the pack and the only shelf oil I put in the same category as top tier. The partnership with Ram/Chrysler and Penzoil making the new Ultra also makes it a real good choice for our engines.

Old biases die hard, I'm guilty as well. To date I still can't get gas at a Shell, lol. I used to work there and it was the worst gas around. I couldn't tell you how many customers would come in with pinging engines filling up. Now, it is common knowledge Shell is as good as anything, but I just can't get my truck to steer into any Shell station. I can't judge you for having a penzoil bias, but do a lil research, they have changed a lot.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
=)

I'd consider me some PZoil,,,,,, after I use up my current 'stash',,, LOL!!!

I've actually trimmed it down quite a bit,,,

but there was a time,,,, not so long ago,,,

Between the bikes/car/truck, I had over 120 qt in my stash,,,

I came upon the Citgo deal while travelling for Xmas out of state. At a buck a qt after rebate, I guess I just couldn't resist,,, so,,,, I picked up 84 qts,,,, Already had plenty of oil at home before that, but,,, but,,,,

(I also bought 400# of bird food at the same place (Orschelns) , but that's another story,,,)

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So without getting all crazy here, does the hemi run quiet with mobil1? I'm looking at a 2015 sport and would like to know what synthetics to stay away from. I too would be annoyed by a noisey valve train or ticking/motor noises if some oils do that to the Motor more than others. I'm also not dropping $70+ on some of these super expensive oils to quiet down the motor noises unless I absolutely have to.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nothing wrong with M1, love the costco deal. I recommend you run Royal Purple filters with it, good flow and the media will probably outlast the oil.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So without getting all crazy here, does the hemi run quiet with mobil1? I'm looking at a 2015 sport and would like to know what synthetics to stay away from. I too would be annoyed by a noisey valve train or ticking/motor noises if some oils do that to the Motor more than others. I'm also not dropping $70+ on some of these super expensive oils to quiet down the motor noises unless I absolutely have to.
I've never tried M1 in my truck so I can't say. Many guys have and many swear by M1. There are also many guys on here that swear by Pennzoil Platinum. My personal experience with Platinum is it made my Hemi much louder so I switched back to Pennzoil yellow which is the factory fill.

It seems like certain Hemi's like certain oils so you may have to try a run with M1 and see how it sounds. If it starts to tick I would drop it right away and try a higher moly oil such as Pennzoil Yellow or Redline.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I used M1 from new to 70000 with no issue. I only switched oils because the tick developed.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
noupf: Burla gives you good advice!

I have used M1 since I was 16...With Never an issue...My 5.7L has M1 in her right now with NO abnormal noise as of today-->This could change tomorrow.

I have found myself back and forth on whether or not to switch brands just for the simple reason of the So Called Tick...I am a TRUE believer in Preventive Maintenance...

In about 4 weeks I have to make a choice for my summer oil change--June thru Nov.
I have gone back and forth many times already!

Yes thousands of owners have reported Noisy engines with M1 in the crankcase... I have never experienced this... Just lucky I guess. Maybe in my old age I am slowly losing my hearing.

I will also say: That Many owners of the 5.7L have developed the Tick using the Specified Oil-->PYB which itself supports a large amount of Moly.

Burla has narrowed it down to Redline Oil to be maybe the Magic Elixir of these Hemi Engines...

Remember though Some Hemis get this Tick and Some don't... Some already have the Tick at the dealership during test drives... I am honestly puzzled.

dtexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on using the Pennzoil ultra synthetic I have used it in about four other vehicles and never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk