Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I have about 2000mi left before the change and I will be going to Royal Purple Filters. Not Sure if I'm sticking with Penzoil Platium or going to PUP or Red line 5w/30. I want to do Red Line but it's not an "approved" oil and I don't want to void the lifetime warrenty with only 7500mi on the truck.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I have about 2000mi left before the change and I will be going to Royal Purple Filters. Not Sure if I'm sticking with Penzoil Platium or going to PUP or Red line 5w/30. I want to do Red Line but it's not an "approved" oil and I don't want to void the lifetime warrenty with only 7500mi on the truck.
Hopefully someone that is better versed on this than me will chime in here but the way I understand it is that before they can void you're warranty because of the oil you use, they have to prove that said oil caused the problem.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Or just buy the cheapest "approved" oil periodically.... keep the recepts and all purchases records to "prove you use it". ... THEN, use it in your wifes car, lawn mower, snow blower... and then put redline in your truck....

TADAAA!!!:roflsquared:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're worried about meeting FCA's recommendations you could just run Valvoline Synpower 5/20. It meets all the specs but probably one of the worst oils you could run in a hemi. I'm not saying Valvoline is a bad oil, just not suited for the Hemi. In my view the ms6395 certification is BS, all it was was to give shell Pennzoil a 2 year jump on everyone else beings that Fiat already had a deal with Pennzoil before they bought Chrysler. Royal purple used to be a good oil till they dropped moly, then people started having cam/lifter failures, I've heard that they now have put some moly back in. You have to understand that the hemi is kinda the old dinosaur of the engine world, and the oil industry is worried about the new engines. So that just leaves us searching for something that works or continues to work in the Hemi.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or just buy the cheapest "approved" oil periodically.... keep the recepts and all purchases records to "prove you use it". ... THEN, use it in your wifes car, lawn mower, snow blower... and then put redline in your truck....

TADAAA!!!:roflsquared:
Or you could always order some PUP 5w20 from Amazon, print the receipt, then cancel the order.

Not that I would know from experience or anything[emoji16]

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly it really all comes down to the dealer. If you have a good dealer they will fight FCA to help their customer get it covered under warranty. It should be pretty obvious to them by just pulling the valve cover if the you've changed your oil at regular intervals.

But say if a valve seat drops and chews up the Piston and the head, they would have a real hard time saying it's because you used a non MS 6395 oil seeing as the valve seat isn't lubricated by motor oil.

But for a lifter and cam failure, you could potentially be denied Warranty by the dealer if they wanted to be assholes because you didn't get the oil changed there IE they didn't make money off you from the oil changes.

Again, a lot of what ifs, but to be totally safe you would have to have the dealer do all the oil changes while under warranty.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly it really all comes down to the dealer. If you have a good dealer they will fight FCA to help their customer get it covered under warranty. It should be pretty obvious to them by just pulling the valve cover if the you've changed your oil at regular intervals.

But say if a valve seat drops and chews up the Piston and the head, they would have a real hard time saying it's because you used a non MS 6395 oil seeing as the valve seat isn't lubricated by motor oil.

But for a lifter and cam failure, you could potentially be denied Warranty by the dealer if they wanted to be assholes because you didn't get the oil changed there IE they didn't make money off you from the oil changes.

Again, a lot of what ifs, but to be totally safe you would have to have the dealer do all the oil changes while under warranty.
And use the oil they put in,even if it's the wrong oil.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the royal purple oil filter number for the 5.7 hemi?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone have a working list of oils that cert the two ram hemi specs, then we can start discussing which ones we prefer based on additives. I don't think many of us will be choosing Valvoline over others due to the no moly.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most recent list I could find with a quick Google:

https://noln.net/wp-content/uploads/2016-Specialty-Motor-Oil-Guide.pdf

Just have to search it for the Chrysler spec number(s).

My problem trying to pick an oil is finding a relatively up to date VOA/UOA that I would trust. A lot of them are 3+ years old, who is to say the formula hasn't changed since then?

EDIT: these are listed as meeting the spec in that file:

Amsoil OE Synthetic Motor Oil
Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
Amsoil XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Castrol EDGE (formerly SYNTEC)
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance
PURATECH Syn-Blend Motor Oil
PureGreen Supreme Eco-Friendly Motor Oil
PureSYN Full Synthetic Motor Oil
SK Lubricants XD DI
Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend
Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology Full Synthetic
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology Full Synthetic
Quaker State Enhanced Durability Synthetic Blend
Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic
Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife Technology
Valvoline SynPower
Valvoline MaxLife

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Lets do it. VOA on the ones we cant find recent ones on. We can figuryout which ones we need them on and then divide and conquer. Im willing to do at least 1 soon, maybe 2.

Not ony would this help others and build our suggestions list but it would give us more testing oils to try out. May not need to many VOAs as some of that list is garbage

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a difference or a list of actual ms6395 certified oils Vs ones claiming to meet ms6395 certification?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a difference or a list of actual ms6395 certified oils Vs ones claiming to meet ms6395 certification?

Yes, there are the oils that meet MS 6395 which are the ones that have gone through the 2 year testing, and there are oils that are "recommended for" or "suitable for" MS 6395.

I could be wrong, but I believe Amsoil is a recommended/suitable for MS 6395 oil...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there are the oils that meet MS 6395 which are the ones that have gone through the 2 year testing, and there are oils that are "recommended for" or "suitable for" MS 6395.

I could be wrong, but I believe Amsoil is a recommended/suitable for MS 6395 oil...
The reason I ask is if you read the bottles how are you supposed to tell the difference between the 2. Even if you read the fine print it sounds like a task just figuring out which are actually certified and which ones are recommended.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The reason I ask is if you read the bottles how are you supposed to tell the difference between the 2. Even if you read the fine print it sounds like a task just figuring out which are actually certified and which ones are recommended.

Its all in their vocabulary, like amsoil for example says " suitable for" which means it has not actually passed the test.

Pennzoil says its "approved" for....

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Actually.... when I used to use Amsoil I remember seeing on the website that it was suitable for Chrysler MS 12 633..... now with their new formulation, for some reason I cannot find it anywhere on their website for at least 0W 40 for my truck.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Actually.... when I used to use Amsoil I remember seeing on the website that it was suitable for Chrysler MS 12 633..... now with their new formulation, for some reason I cannot find it anywhere on their website for at least 0W 40 for my truck.

It's in the data bulletin.

0W-40 (AZF): API SN, SM…; Chrysler MS-12633, MS-10725, MS-10850;
Nissan GT-R

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It's in the data bulletin.

0W-40 (AZF): API SN, SM…; Chrysler MS-12633, MS-10725, MS-10850;
Nissan GT-R

Thank you for posting it. It used to be right in the description.