Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I wonder what years have a older design and which ones have the new ones ?

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The AT3s are a good all around tire. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. Not too aggressive tread and very quiet on the highway. My biggest complaint is the fuel mileage hit for such a mild treaded AT tire. I easily lost 2-3 MPG by putting these tires on in the stock size 275 60r20 but I inflate them to 42psi instead of the recommended 39 and it helps quite a bit although the ride is a bit harsh. Not sure if any of that is normal for an AT tire as these are my first. They're wearing pretty well also. At 19k they have 9/32nds from 12.5/32nds left so they will easily go another 20k. They're great in the snow and phenomenal in the rain.

I almost went with Toyo OC AT2s but I got these for $163 per on Tire Rack back in 2015. They wanted $210/tire for the Toyos.

I've always had good luck with Cooper's in the past. Hope this helps!

Aren’t those tires a bit heavy? In the high 50lb range?(58lbs) Maybe that’s why the fuel economy was lost.
The 3 ply AT tires weigh 42-45 which don’t hurt economy much at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cam swap

not really detailed, but look at the comments section. This tick stuff is more common then we know.

Also interesting is that quite a few of the comments are about vehicles that have a high amount of idle hours (limos, former police vehicles, etc)

It looks like it usually affects the MDS cylinder(s) lifter(s), but Im guessing just disabling MDS doesnt solve the issue.

I know 30 psi of oil pressure at idle is probably fine, so maybe its an issue of the oil not getting everywhere it needs to be at idle RPM. Personally Ive been making sure my truck doesnt idle for very long periods....maybe 5 minutes or so to remote start it on a cold morning, but other than that it gets shut down immediately. Luckily not much traffic in my commutes.

Moly might keep the issue at bay if it "plates" to the parts so they can survive a bit of oil starvation at low RPMs.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aren’t those tires a bit heavy? In the high 50lb range?(58lbs) Maybe that’s why the fuel economy was lost.
The 3 ply AT tires weigh 42-45 which don’t hurt economy much at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones I have are p rated and only 46lbs per tire which is about 5lbs more than the SRAs

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The ones I have are p rated and only 46lbs per tire which is about 5lbs more than the SRAs

I went from the stock 49lbs 33” tire to a 71lbs 35” tire and only lost about 2-3 MPG only. Its seem strange to me that you lost so much.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went from the stock 49lbs 33” tire to a 71lbs 35” tire and only lost about 2-3 MPG only. Its seem strange to me that you lost so much.
Yeah me too. I mean I would expect that if I went to KO2s or something LT but 5lbs per tires shouldn't make that much of a difference. The AT3s must have high rolling resistance...

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Also interesting is that quite a few of the comments are about vehicles that have a high amount of idle hours (limos, former police vehicles, etc)

also interesting if one of the commentors said there is a tsb to replace a plastic cam follower on my year through whatever. Anyone with a 4 gen ram, worth a check here. Does anyone know the Ram tsb lookup by vin?

When I looked it up I didn't see anything with the cam at all. Lots of other stuff on recalls and tsb's though, maybe 20 items.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also interesting if one of the commentors said there is a tsb to replace a plastic cam follower on my year through whatever. Anyone with a 4 gen ram, worth a check here. Does anyone know the Ram tsb lookup by vin?

When I looked it up I didn't see anything with the cam at all. Lots of other stuff on recalls and tsb's though, maybe 20 items.
Is the 5.7 on the challenger the same 5.7 in the ram? I remember reading something about the timing gear/ timing chain in one of the 5.7 forums but I thought it was more about the cars than the trucks, and if I remember correctly it was a couple of years ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I've also heard about the excess idleing time issue. Talked to an ex Mopar mechanic that did alot of hemi police cruiser maintenance, he said in their fleet then run a bulk synthetic 5/30 and about 80 to 90 thousand miles was new cam and lifters.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Friend of mine with an '05 2500 (with the 5.7L) just went through replacing his timing related stuff. He was already in it doing something else and decided for the extra time and little bit of $$$ he would replace the timing chain, etc.

Came into work one day pretty ticked off that he spent the time and found the chain in perfect shape. The plastic runners, however, completely different story.

Its not unique to Dodge, for sure....the engine in my G37 has a chain, but nylon guides for the chain. They will need to be replaced at about the same time a timing BELT would need to be replaced. So much for chains being much better than belts.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Friend of mine with an '05 2500 (with the 5.7L) just went through replacing his timing related stuff. He was already in it doing something else and decided for the extra time and little bit of $$$ he would replace the timing chain, etc.

Came into work one day pretty ticked off that he spent the time and found the chain in perfect shape. The plastic runners, however, completely different story.

Its not unique to Dodge, for sure....the engine in my G37 has a chain, but nylon guides for the chain. They will need to be replaced at about the same time a timing BELT would need to be replaced. So much for chains being much better than belts.

I would be embarrassed if that was my decision to make them in such a way. Time and time again, we need to understand auto manufacturers and the gov't are building these vehicles to break, not to last - J A P A N. Every time a car manufacturer sells a vehicle, they and the gov't make a windfall. Seams like nobody cares or can be bothered to see how this garbage is being built. This will be my last modern vehicle, next time I will get an older pickup pre75 and fix it up my way.

Something like this, back when they had the tie downs on the body like they should be. Restore something like this will outlast anything made today. If you are having a bad day, lil turn on the carb screw and you can smoke out a soccer moms global warming protest. He's got a new crate in that only 4500 bucks, damn.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, its kinda disappointing.

Ive had several generations of Japanese brand cars and can see the quality slowly declining. My '01 Frontier (which my RAM replaced) was built pretty well, but there were just so many unnecessarily complex things it became a huge chore to do basic stuff on.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

I prefer belts over chains.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am still thinking over this plastic cam follower. It amazes me that they used plastic

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its crazy the **** they cheap out on sometimes.
Instead of making a bullet proof product the bean counters figure out how good do we have to make it to get it out of the warranty period.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would be embarrassed if that was my decision to make them in such a way. Time and time again, we need to understand auto manufacturers and the gov't are building these vehicles to break, not to last - J A P A N. Every time a car manufacturer sells a vehicle, they and the gov't make a windfall. Seams like nobody cares or can be bothered to see how this garbage is being built. This will be my last modern vehicle, next time I will get an older pickup pre75 and fix it up my way.

Something like this, back when they had the tie downs on the body like they should be. Restore something like this will outlast anything made today. If you are having a bad day, lil turn on the carb screw and you can smoke out a soccer moms global warming protest. He's got a new crate in that only 4500 bucks, damn.

Burla, I don't entirely agree, but when I retire, just turned sixty, I am going down south to find a 3rd gen 2500 or 3500 Cummins 4x4. Should be rust free and I am going to rebuild the engine and any other part that needs to be rebuilt is: trans, dogs transfer case and will have the interior done by a pro. Might cos the same as a new one, but won't have all the polution EPA bull. It will also be better than new.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hello All: I do apologize for this but the time is close maybe this weekend! (For)

The Silver\Chrome 2017 2500 6.7L CTD Bighorn SLT to be parked in our garage if the big dam thing will fit!

I found the right 2500 with ALL the proper towing options I need/want! (Dam what a chore that was)
Anyway only thing missing is the 3:73 gears! I have to settle for 3:42.
Also wanted a engine block heater.
They are installing that for me.

My question is for my first mod will be a new 68RFE Transmission pan with a drain plug for easy drain & refill!
For the 68RFE owners~~~>What ATF are you using?

I am leaning towards RL or Schaeffers @ this point & time.
Possibly be RL due to that’s what will be in both diffs after the first year. Trans & TC will share the same fluids. Might possibly stay with All RL!

Any how what are others using in your 68RFE?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good luck on the fitament Syn, I would check before I bought it.

Reactions: U&A

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well sad thing is our home was built in the 70’s
Just your basic double car garage. My 1500 will fit but it is snug. I have about 2 ft to spare up front!

The 2500 is a crew cab not a quad as well as a bit taller! Thus the reason for a Engine block heater for the winter months just in case the 2500 is too tall.

I was thinking of putting up one of those nice metal car ports anyway.

Last edited: