Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is milk oil soluble? Might have some compatibility problems, but I hear it does a body good.
Imagine what a catch can dump would look like...

Speaking of catch can... is there any difference in the 18 5.7 for catch can mounting. Why do some not like 18 as compatible???

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tums for the gas engine.

bg-moa-110.jpg

VOA-

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 5
COPPER 0
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 120
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 9
SILICON 8
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 11390
MAGNESIUM 50
PHOSPHORUS 1323
ZINC 1429
BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 60.1
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 10.25
Flashpoint in °F 340
Fuel % -
Antifreeze % -
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 18.6
TAN
ISO Code

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^^^

If that isn't a perfect oil additive for what it does, I don't know what is.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if you can drink bgmoa in a pinch?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Have a slippery weekend boys :)

For those of you running a thicker oil viscosity in you 5.7 Hemi, see clearances for the Cam and bearings below. For those of you running a ?w40 weight oil in the 5.7 4th Gen Hemi, think again!

Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS DESCRIPTION / SPECIFICATION 5.7 4th Gen Hemi. Recommended Engine Oil - MOPAR API Certified SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 1 / .0015 - .003 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 2 / .0019 - .0035 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 3 / .0015 - .003 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 4 / .0019 - .0035 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 5 / .0015 - .003 in.

Average width of a Human Hair = 0.001 – 0.005 in.

Note: Clearances are per Chrysler.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Because internal engine components are cooled by oil “Directly” and cooled by the coolant “Indirectly”. So running a thicker oil than what is recommended is a bad idea in most cases. Because oil “flow” through internal engine clearances is critical for proper lubrication and to pull heat from internal engine components. The engine oil temperature in these areas of the engine can be 50-90 degrees “Hotter” than oil sump temperatures; thinner oils flow better than thicker oils pulling more heat from internal engine components.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another goodie.

Another way your lubricant could be losing its viscosity is through the loss or shear down of the viscosity-index (VI) improver. For example, if you are using a multi-grade SAE gear or engine oil such as a 10W-30, this oil contains an additive known as a viscosity-index improver. During use, the VI improvers can sheer down and break apart, causing the viscosity of the oil to decrease. Remember, exposure to high heat is the biggest factor in causing the sheer of the viscosity-index improver.

Thus is why hths is needed to see the quality of the base oil. You guys running heavy Vii formulas, you are actually running the next weight down, you just don't know it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is the % of Vii's in any giving oil? These molecules are larger then their dense brothers (base oil), and unstable. When they are denatured, your lubrication is less protective. This is why the big oil companies use as little as they can get away with.

40806116032_daf69d0a3d_z.jpg

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Another goodie.

Another way your lubricant could be losing its viscosity is through the loss or shear down of the viscosity-index (VI) improver. For example, if you are using a multi-grade SAE gear or engine oil such as a 10W-30, this oil contains an additive known as a viscosity-index improver. During use, the VI improvers can sheer down and break apart, causing the viscosity of the oil to decrease. Remember, exposure to high heat is the biggest factor in causing the sheer of the viscosity-index improver.

Thus is why hths is needed to see the quality of the base oil. You guys running heavy Vii formulas, you are actually running the next weight down, you just don't know it.
What is the % of Vii's in any giving oil? These molecules are larger then their dense brothers (base oil), and unstable. When they are denatured, your lubrication is less protective. This is why the big oil companies use as little as they can get away with.

40806116032_daf69d0a3d_z.jpg
And, as far as we know, Redline has basically the best base and lowest vii's, right?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For fact we only know 5w20 and 10w30 redline doesn't have any. Esters/Pao have natural cold flow properties so Vii's aren't as necessary, in fact correct me if I'm wrong Kyle, Dave from redline said their 5w30 had minimal vii's. I can't say for sure other weights have less then other brands. And there are a few other redline type companies out there like Millers and Motul and I'm sure others, and more pao companies floating around.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on my 600 mile old 5W-20 synthetic (from the dealer): MDS dis-engagement is no longer nearly as smooth as it used to be. My hot, in-drive at idle oil pressure is now 34-36psi.

Seriously considering swapping it out this weekend for QSUD 5W-30/5W-20 mix and an RP filter.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Your oil pressure should be higher, if anything, as you go deeper into your OCI because oils get a bit thicker with use. Initially it will thin out some because the VIIs break down quickly, then thicken as more and more contaminants are suspended.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Your oil pressure should be higher, if anything, as you go deeper into your OCI because oils get a bit thicker with use. Initially it will thin out some because the VIIs break down quickly, then thicken as more and more contaminants are suspended.

If you mean me thats right on par for my truck at full temp at idle.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory fill didnt exhibit any increase in pressure...granted it was only in there for 2K miles but it didnt change along the way.

As good as PYB is supposed to be, Im not really a fan of it so far in my Hemi. I think the factory fill performed better even at 2K miles (I believe the factory fill is Pennzoil Gold, a synth blend?)

EDIT: my problem with 34-36 psi at idle is my gut tells me the lubrication flow in the Hemi is complex enough that lower pressure contributes to wiping out the cam/lifters. Its just a hunch, but I feel strongly the higher the pressure the more the oil will get to where it really needs to be.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
For fact we only know 5w20 and 10w30 redline doesn't have any. Esters/Pao have natural cold flow properties so Vii's aren't as necessary, in fact correct me if I'm wrong Kyle, Dave from redline said their 5w30 had minimal vii's. I can't say for sure other weights have less then other brands. And there are a few other redline type companies out there like Millers and Motul and I'm sure others, and more pao companies floating around.
Okay, and the base oil? Basically the best, right? Top 3? Top 5 for sure, right?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Okay, and the base oil? Basically the best, right? Top 3? Top 5 for sure, right?

So best is a taboo statement, too many people get all but hurt and want to fight if you use the word best. And then best at what? It is not the longest oil change interval oil, it doesn't produce the best wear numbers, but it does seam to quiet better then others. So best is for each user to choose imo. Obviously I use it, so I much use it for a reason:)

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The factory fill didnt exhibit any increase in pressure...granted it was only in there for 2K miles but it didnt change along the way.

As good as PYB is supposed to be, Im not really a fan of it so far in my Hemi. I think the factory fill performed better even at 2K miles (I believe the factory fill is Pennzoil Gold, a synth blend?)

EDIT: my problem with 34-36 psi at idle is my gut tells me the lubrication flow in the Hemi is complex enough that lower pressure contributes to wiping out the cam/lifters. Its just a hunch, but I feel strongly the higher the pressure the more the oil will get to where it really needs to be.

Myself I dont feel 34/36psi is low at all.
If it were down to 15/20psi then I would feel that it was low.

I remember my stock SB Chevy carrying 15psi at idle with never a thought or problem. lol