Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have never hade a capsule coffee that taste closly what the comercial says they taste like :O and I am not that picky on Coffee. Butt man do I like my now old Swiss made Jura z5, it's close to have made me 30.000 cups of Coffee!
The service guy said at the last visit that we drink a lot of coffee, I said you can say you to me ;) Apparently the machine hade made an average of 10 cups a day sins the last visit :D
Sadly I will use this in to the ground, new ones (Z10) are like $3.000. But the new ones can brew cold coffee if that is your thing :O
The black gold for our body's :)
The service stations where cleaner that a normal hospital :D
View attachment 523979
Iv had coffee out of them before when overseas. Not gona lie. AMAZING !!!

totally different kind of coffee tho isnt it. I dont mean the beans i mean the way it makes it its just so smooth.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The best coffee I ever had was blue bottle coffee in san fran, apparently the place was so popular they opened 5 stores in like a square mile, lol? I wondered why it tasted so good, I think coffee is coffee yes? No, process matters, and they found a way to make it more acidic my guess, the flavor jumps down your throat. The place worships coffee, lol.

c977bd218019e7d67734269ae19fa412.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never did acquire a taste for Coffee or Tea,but my wife lives on Coffee,and scares the hell out of me when her coffee pot breaks down, :Big Laugh:. I make a point of keeping at least 2 new coffee pots on hand for whenever she needs another one,:rolleyes:. Milk / Water and Pepsi are my go to's :Big Laugh:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For like a decade or better I thought I liked finely ground coffee, but I learned coarser tastes better for me, and I either soak the coffee before brewing, or use a french press. I usually use a blender to grind the beans, just one or two quick presses leaves a nice course grand. Note on acidic coffee. Dont confuse bitter and acidic, and the key is to get acidic but also get the flavor, which means you need a good soak on them grounds. Brewing coffee time line goes first acidic then balance and flavor and after all of that comes bitterness. Play around with it, hit that sweet spot and it is worth the effort.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The best coffee I ever had was blue bottle coffee in san fran, apparently the place was so popular they opened 5 stores in like a square mile, lol? I wondered why it tasted so good, I think coffee is coffee yes? No, process matters, and they found a way to make it more acidic my guess, the flavor jumps down your throat. The place worships coffee, lol.

View attachment 523984
This picture confuses the F out of me. Looks like its on fire or something

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's been a while, but I think the top pot makes a certain temp and then flows down to bottom pot, that is amber coffee flowing.

I only had it once while going to giants game, it was unforgetable, but I don't remember the process, just the flavor and the cool pots. You dont dare add sugar or cream, such a nice cup, i wish everyone could try it. It is a variant of simple pour over brew method.

From their website.. Kind of cool in the era of starbucks, a simple process like this can also succeed.

Blue Bottle was founded by James Freeman in 2002 with a simple yet revolutionary idea: to brew coffee to order, using the pour over method.

The ritual of the pour over is like a meditation: There’s no machine in your way, no flashing green lights, no electric power cords. Just you and a few simple tools. If you’ve never tried a pour over before, the final cup is reminiscent of one from a drip coffee maker, but noticeably more delicate and complex.

If you’re familiar with the method, we invite you to try our version. It lends itself to mastery both on the first try and the one hundredth. Find a few minutes to slow down: observe the bloom — that swell of the coffee grounds after the first pour and experience the first trace of coffee-drunk steam. Notice how the flow rate and the spiral of each pour can alter the flavors in the final cup. We’ve perfected our method over twenty years of obsessive tinkering and are proud to share it here.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
A blender to grind coffee beans OH NOooooo Mr Bill, a Burr grinder is best for grinding your coffee beans that should be stored in an air tight canaster not the fridge like I hear so many talk about doing, my self I like a whole bean medium roast Costa Rica Pea berry or a good medium roast Sumatra Lin Tong region, have also found out that you can use water that is too when making coffee that release a flavor my wife & I do not like...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I believe if you mess around with pour over method and coarse grind, you can come close to duplicating the blue bottle method, you may have to pour twice, dunno. The key, dont go bitter the last step of brewing coffee. Bitter is good as well, but it isnt blue bottle flavor, just something worth trying once in a while.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
since we’re talking about coffee now and not engine oil, I only drink coffee when I have an upset stomach. Otherwise I don’t touch it as it makes me drowsy.
So caffeine makes you drowsy? I’ve heard a couple people say that before but it makes no sense. Caffeine is a stimulant so it should have the opposite effect.

I use a Bunn coffee maker. Only drink Folgers or Maxwell House. Usually drink 3-6 cups a day depending on whether I’m on nights or not.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So caffeine makes you drowsy? I’ve heard a couple people say that before but it makes no sense. Caffeine is a stimulant so it should have the opposite effect.
Well, what can I say... I'm weird. OR as my brother would say, "Not human." According to him the jury is still out on whether I'm human or not, but the fact still remains that coffee makes me drowsy. So I don't drink it.
Interesting also, when I was in Singapore, I met an elderly gentleman who didn't drink coffee as well. He used to get come in the morning to class with a huge cup of Coke. Asked him what's with the coke, he said that if you wanted to preserve something you put in the fridge. So this was his way of preserving himself. LOL.
Considering at the time he was 67 and he looked like 52, I guess it was working. LOL .

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I use a Bunn coffee maker. Only drink Folgers or Maxwell House. Usually drink 3-6 cups a day depending on whether I’m on nights or not.
I don't drink coffee because I don't like it, but I'm the same way with everything else. Nyquil keeps me awake. Basically I'm messed up. Stuff does the opposite to me compared to what it is supposed to do.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Let's make synthetic coffee - then this thread remains on-topic (coffee has natural oils, tho).

I propose chemically reacting old shoe leather and garden dirt for a superior blend of natural substances.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone ever done bullet proof coffee? I tried it for a while before the milk got to me (can't drink milk products), but that stuff is the bomb. Start with strong black coffee, then a healthy shot of half and half (or tbsp of salted butter). :drink_nl:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Let's make synthetic coffee - then this thread remains on-topic (coffee has natural oils, tho).

This thread jumps off the rails so often I'm sure the mods have whiplash. But I'm not complaining, tons of great info sprinkled with some humour and other great facts and suggestions.

Sluff Track

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking
Engine
?
This is the best thread on the internet, IMHO. Coffee, whiskey, oil, filters, and so much more. Follow this thread should earn you a doctorate in some kind of degree, I'm sure! I thank you all for sharing your opinions, knowledge and research.

I hope it never gets shut down for it's occasional meanderings, that is character building, right there

Jim

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’ve always used Mobile 1 but have recently started using Costco, Kirkland synthetic. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
pqia kirkland

It's not really a brand thing anymore, but an SP rating or Dexos, it has unified formulas more then ever before. Plus kirkland 80ppm moly and 245 boron, in most cases it will be as good as anything else dexos or SP. The difference will be in 0 winter rated oils or oils that carry additional specs where manu's use pao base oils. I don't see any benefit of 5w30 m1 over 5w30 kirkland. Plus costco is a unicorn, anything with the kirkland name has a much higher chnace at being high quality over any other generics from my experience, their oil is no different.

I do have a question, is their an SP on the bottle? That is the newest spec, and this voa I now see is sn+, so we need a voa of SP to be sure. But I would still think kirkland is gonna kill it. It has dexos so that is a small issue for sure, dexos would be similar.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For like a decade or better I thought I liked finely ground coffee, but I learned coarser tastes better for me, and I either soak the coffee before brewing, or use a french press. I usually use a blender to grind the beans, just one or two quick presses leaves a nice course grand. Note on acidic coffee. Dont confuse bitter and acidic, and the key is to get acidic but also get the flavor, which means you need a good soak on them grounds. Brewing coffee time line goes first acidic then balance and flavor and after all of that comes bitterness. Play around with it, hit that sweet spot and it is worth the effort.
I played around with the percolator to get a good brew. I find that low and slow produces the best taste to me