T79 recall question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I was at the dealership today for a few recalls on my wifes 21 Jeep Grand Cherokee L. I had them go ahead look at my Ram for recalls as well. Apparently it has an open recall T-79 Per Mopar this is what is wrong. They aren't even sure if they can get the part. Apparently they have stopped making a lot of the parts for 09-13... An advice as to what to do if it can't be repaired. I really do not want to get rid of my Ram. Its been so good to me. This is what the open recall says. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) locking pin on your vehicle [1] may become stuck in the open position. A BTSI locking pin stuck in the open position may allow the transmission to be shifted out of PARK and to any gear position without depression of the brake pedal and/or without the key in the ignition, if a key is applicable. The ability to shift the transmission out of the PARK position without a key in the ignition or a brake pedal application, increases the risk for an unintended vehicle rollaway that may result in a vehicle crash or injury without prior warning.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Drive it. Sounds like it’s an electronically activated pin in the column shifter. To me, this is a non issue and not worth any time worrying.
I hope so. My service manager sounded pretty concerned.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The trucks almost 12 years old,and up till you found out about the recall it didn't worry you.By the sounds of it,even if the part lets go,the trucks still safe,as long as you don't have kids who are going to jump in it and try to pull it out of park while it's parked.Looks like it just affects the brake/park interlock,so the truck will act like an older vehicle,where you never had to step on the brake pedal to pull them out of park.If you're a bit older,it'll probably act like your Dads old truck did,lol
If you were to buy an older 70's style truck,where they didn't have a park inter lock,you probably wouldn't be to worried about trying to add it,and you wouldn't really consider it unsafe because it didn't have it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The trucks almost 12 years old,and up till you found out about the recall it didn't worry you.By the sounds of it,even if the part lets go,the trucks still safe,as long as you don't have kids who are going to jump in it and try to pull it out of park while it's parked.Looks like it just affects the brake/park interlock,so the truck will act like an older vehicle,where you never had to step on the brake pedal to pull them out of park.If you're a bit older,it'll probably act like your Dads old truck did,lol
If you were to buy an older 70's style truck,where they didn't have a park inter lock,you probably wouldn't be to worried about trying to add it,and you wouldn't really consider it unsafe because it didn't have it.
I remember those days !

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I was at the dealership today for a few recalls on my wifes 21 Jeep Grand Cherokee L. I had them go ahead look at my Ram for recalls as well. Apparently it has an open recall T-79 Per Mopar this is what is wrong. They aren't even sure if they can get the part. Apparently they have stopped making a lot of the parts for 09-13... An advice as to what to do if it can't be repaired. I really do not want to get rid of my Ram. Its been so good to me. This is what the open recall says. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) locking pin on your vehicle [1] may become stuck in the open position. A BTSI locking pin stuck in the open position may allow the transmission to be shifted out of PARK and to any gear position without depression of the brake pedal and/or without the key in the ignition, if a key is applicable. The ability to shift the transmission out of the PARK position without a key in the ignition or a brake pedal application, increases the risk for an unintended vehicle rollaway that may result in a vehicle crash or injury without prior warning.
In addition to what Wildman posted, just be diligent with your parking brake.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh the good old days lol. From what I was told at the dealership you can be getting in and shake the truck and it can jump out of gear. My driveway is an incline so even setting the parking brake is hit or miss. They did locate one of the last ones available it took him all day to track one down. Just something everyone needs to be aware of. Dodge is forcing our hand with important replacement parts. They want us to buy new.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh the good old days lol. From what I was told at the dealership you can be getting in and shake the truck and it can jump out of gear. My driveway is an incline so even setting the parking brake is hit or miss. They did locate one of the last ones available it took him all day to track one down. Just something everyone needs to be aware of. Dodge is forcing our hand with important replacement parts. They want us to buy new.
I think they're stretching things a bit,as the Park pin/pawl is inside the transmission,and if there's a load on it,like if it's sitting on an angled driveway,it's going to take a fair bit of rocking back and forth of the truck to dislodge the pin. Scare tactics by the dealer,probably cause they don't know any better.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think they're stretching things a bit,as the Park pin/pawl is inside the transmission,and if there's a load on it,like if it's sitting on an angled driveway,it's going to take a fair bit of rocking back and forth of the truck to dislodge the pin. Scare tactics by the dealer,probably cause they don't know any better.
Possibly, but I don't need my kids accidentally getting run over by my ram lol. Its only ever had two recalls in almost 12 years. I would say that speaks volumes as to how well the early 4th gens were.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Treb, if your parking doesn’t hold your truck on an incline, you need to get that fixed. That being said, if you’re really uncomfortable with your kids around the truck, and you can swing it, get a new one.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Treb, if your parking doesn’t hold your truck on an incline, you need to get that fixed. That being said, if you’re really uncomfortable with your kids around the truck, and you can swing it, get a new one.
It holds thank goodness. It was all replaced at 140k. Right now we are enjoying 1 car payment vs two. I see this probably being the last year or two with it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, hey, we had the best cars, best music, and cooler girls. Drank from the garden hose, didn’t wear bicycle helmets, played outside and survived. Yup, old fart and enjoyed getting here.
YUP crawled in, ate a lot of dirt, and Daddy did not spare the rod, and WTH, I made it, lol. No video games, fancy phones, old Rotary in Kitchen with 30' cord, boy how did we survive? lol

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He could always get a set of Vehicle Chocks and Chock his truck when parked, LOL. We always carried chocks in the trucks on the Flightline as it was required when parking anywhere on the aircraft apron where planes were.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lol, hey, we had the best cars, best music, and cooler girls. Drank from the garden hose, didn’t wear bicycle helmets, played outside and survived. Yup, old fart and enjoyed getting here.
Kids today would go nuts living the way we did. No cell phones, no internet. TV was over the air. You needed rabbit ears to get a signal. The TV stations would shut down sometime after midnight. And yes, the best music cars & girls too

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Played outside with friends till it was dark,and if you lived in town,you knew everybody on the block.The worst was when you were trouble,and Mom would say "wait till your Father gets home" ,lol. We also wrecked more muscle cars then any other generation, :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517