Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvert86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I have been a part of the forum for several years however my account was deleted ( I assume due to inactivity). I have had several Dodges with my last being a 2003 Hemi. Now I just recently picked up a 97 1500 4wd 5.9L v8 Sport ( Have always loved the Gen 2 Body) as a project/fun truck and it might have been a little more of a project than I thought. So I did the brakes, rotors, and oil myself last weekend. Also redid the entire cooling system. (Water pump, hoses, thermostat, sensors, housings, etc...) It was in doing this I learned the previous owner messed up the bolt hole for the thermostat housing into the manifold. I attempted to tap it out but wasn't successful, after a couple other failed work around I caved and brought the truck to my mechanic and had the intake replaced. Once the intake was off we saw a broken off bolt in the head, and replaced the distributor and realized this truck probably didn't have its regularly scheduled oil changes however I digress. We got the truck all fixed up and pieced back together and when I got home I noticed my brake lights are staying on, even after the truck is off. (just the back two, not the over heard cargo lamp brake light). Additionally now my reverse lights don't work, and my turn signal makes the brake light blink. Anyone have any ideas? The mechanic is saying nothing they did would affect the lights, but it seems like a harness or something got crossed? Just to much of a coincidence. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
C

Calvert86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow...thank you so much for the overwhelming responses! lol

I simply changed the fuse and it works. that doesn't seem like that should be the fix-but for now its working.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you blew the fuse you've got a short somewhere. Most likely to the trailer hitch if you've got one.

OP
OP
C

Calvert86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Realized the root of my problems is the brake sensor switch on the pedal. Is there a thread anywhere on how to change? Bought a new one, but the old is just hanging there, so cant see exactly how it is supposed to mount up there. (Doesn't help its super cramped for me under there since im 6'4)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I could copy the procedure out of my 96 service manual for you if you wish.