Tailgate Assist Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Dee Zee tailgate assist on my truck. I noticed that the tailgate has been dropping while I've been driving on several different occassions. I use more force to close the tailgate and it clicks in place, however the tailgate continues to drop at random times. Has anyone had this issue before and what was causing it? I was going to mess around with it this week and see if I could find the problem..

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's the assist preventing it from seating properly, somehow. I've had the truck for almost 2 years before putting the assist on and after the install of the assist, this issue started happening. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that lol.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's the assist preventing it from seating properly, somehow. I've had the truck for almost 2 years before putting the assist on and after the install of the assist, this issue started happening.

That's strange, maybe you don't have something installed correctly??? I have one on my truck and it opens/closes just as easy as before I installed it. Maybe post a couple of pictures and someone can point out if something looks wrong....

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are a few pics:

389dab231f9ca7f87f369471787e77df.jpg

4b9a83aaa07833c07b82698d757e88f3.jpg

28160356a9e790c9ea62cfbb2108add0.jpg

My only guess is to loosen that silver piece in the third picture and maybe push it a little more towards the cab to allow more space for the cable to fold and that plastic piece on the cable to have more room when the tailgate is closed. Other than that.. no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
like stated before it is probably unrelated to the tailgate assist. I would take it to the dealer for the latch(but that's just what I would do). Its a documented issue.

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing to do with the assist. It's the locking module in the tailgate. Take it in for warranty.
Check that link out that somebody posted and read through it. Mine also started doing this at about the 2 year mark. It's an easy fix. The dealer will know about it as soon as you explain it.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May as well get that recall taken care of at the same time I suppose. I'll try and bring it in tomorrow.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Disconnect the strut and see if it continues...

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't get the strut off. Tried with a flat head to pop the tab but the tab won't budge and I don't want to break the thing. I wanted to test it and see if it would drop without the strut but I have a feeling the dealer will use this as a crutch so they won't have to replace the part under warranty, even though it doesn't interfere with closing the tailgate and I can clearly hear it click when the locking mechanism catches upon closing the gate. I'll bring it in tomorrow AM to have them check it out and get my safety recall done.

Drove home today and the tailgate was down upon arrival.

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a little clip on the end of those rams that have to slide out to get it off the ball. I took mine in with the assist on it and they never questioned it. If you want to test it out for yourself, go out to your truck, start it and then toggle the door locks with the buttons on the door. A few unlock and lock sequences and your tailgate may drop. That's when it does it, when the doors and tailgate are being locked. Won't do it on the unlock. Near the end before I took it in, I would manually lock my doors before I started driving. If the gate dropped, I'd get out and close it before driving. If not then I was good until the next stop.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a little clip on the end of those rams that have to slide out to get it off the ball. I took mine in with the assist on it and they never questioned it. If you want to test it out for yourself, go out to your truck, start it and then toggle the door locks with the buttons on the door. A few unlock and lock sequences and your tailgate may drop. That's when it does it, when the doors and tailgate are being locked. Won't do it on the unlock. Near the end before I took it in, I would manually lock my doors before I started driving. If the gate dropped, I'd get out and close it before driving. If not then I was good until the next stop.

Just gave it a shot and on about the sixth time I hit the lock button it fell down. Thanks for clarifying that, I'll mention it to the dealer tomorrow.

smitty21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighhorn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the same issue on my Dakota, and taking everything off, it was the lock mechanism it self. Had to replace the lock.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped the truck off at the dealer and they said apparently Ram issued a bulletin about the tailgate issue recently.

Scheduled for service tomorrow but I'll be pressed for time so I'm just gonna have it stay overnight..

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped the truck off at the dealer and they said apparently Ram issued a bulletin about the tailgate issue recently.

Scheduled for service tomorrow but I'll be pressed for time so I'm just gonna have it stay overnight..

Glad to hear you are getting it taken care of so quick.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
This has been an issue for Ram. My buddies truck has been doing the same thing (no tailgate assist) and warranty fixed it.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picking the truck up now. Recall is all set but the actual part for the tailgate is on backorder.. gonna be another couple weeks. They said I was the second one today for the tailgate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got out of the shop. They replaced the rear actuator in the tailgate. It took a little under 45 mins to complete.