Tailgate Bushing (Driver Side)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wexford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 6.7 2500

My tailgate is stiff to open/close. Discovered the driver side bushing is damaged.

I looked aftermarket and they only list passenger side, so I just talked to the dealership.

The told me this isn't a serviceable part and I need to replace the tailgate.

Is this for real?

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see tons of kits on Amazon with both sides. Never dug too deep to see years or models but id be shocked if dormans never made a kit.

OP
OP
W

Wexford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, that's what I thought too. All for older models.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
JIMS auto parts may have the parts
the are in Salem New Hampshire

looks like it may be called the Tailgate Pivot

ask Benny if they are still a stock item

Dorman part

i wonder if these old hinges work on a 2015 ?

1693541432627.png
with this old style, the one on the right, the ROUND ones goes on the drivers side

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wexford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out, it’s part of the counterbalance rod that runs through the bottom of the tailgate, part # 55372744AC.

The part no longer shows up on factory schematics and is no longer stocked / sold by the dealerships.

RAM suggests buying a whole new tailgate. ********.

But, it can be found aftermarket.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just noticed today my tailgate was stopping before it hit end of cables, sure enough the bushing was not rotating. Took it out cleaned and a shot of dry graphite grease and good as new.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When i service my truck Ie change oil ect I service all my hinges and pivot points ! hood , doors and tailgate ! my hinges i wipe clean and inspect and oil with white lithium grease and the tailgate pop out of pivots clean inspect grease along with the tailgate drop down piston pivots!

mildrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This tailgate hinge design is unfortunate. I travel with a motorcycle in the bed of the truck and pull a travel trailer. The bike is 8ft 6in so the tailgate has to be removed to travel. I have to jack the bike up several inches to remove and reinstall the tailgate. Why didn't Ram design the driver's side pin horizontally instead of vertically so the tailgate could be taken off and put back on with it down. Seems the more logical way to go.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Once your tailgate is open, it takes about 2 minutes, not counting the wires, to completely remove the tailgate

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This tailgate hinge design is unfortunate. I travel with a motorcycle in the bed of the truck and pull a travel trailer. The bike is 8ft 6in so the tailgate has to be removed to travel. I have to jack the bike up several inches to remove and reinstall the tailgate. Why didn't Ram design the driver's side pin horizontally instead of vertically so the tailgate could be taken off and put back on with it down. Seems the more logical way to go.
Very few people drive with tailgate partially open / closed, whereas many drive with tailgate fully down (leaving home depot comes to mind). IMHO, I believe the partial open to remove sounds to be a more logical engineering / safety choice than full down..

I would imagine tailgate (while fully down) falling off while driving along would be an eye opener.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Many truck tailgates can be removed by first removing the cable supports
Then lift the tailgate to about a 45 degree angle, then lift the right side of the tailgate upwards. That releases right side & then move the whole tailgate to the right, the tailgate will fall into your hands.
Then if you tug at the wiring & unplug it.
You can do anything that you want with the tailgate.

If you drive around with the tailgate partially raised, you can buy a set of these

DG Tailgate Support Bars

Many stores are selling similar support bars, but DG was first

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can wrap a hose clamp around the drivers side hinge to help prevent unwanted removal , or purchase a “lock” that does the same.

OP
OP
W

Wexford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, here's an update -

The part I need is 55372744AC

Every time I've tried to order the part I've been told it's no longer in production and cannot be found in stock anywhere.

Anybody have a go-to parts site that you'd recommend? Or a breaker yard who will have a busted tailgate they'll be willing to extract the part from?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, here's an update -

The part I need is 55372744AC

Every time I've tried to order the part I've been told it's no longer in production and cannot be found in stock anywhere.

Anybody have a go-to parts site that you'd recommend? Or a breaker yard who will have a busted tailgate they'll be willing to extract the part from?
Should be lots of damaged tailgates around. Try some body shops.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Is this part, part of the tailgate or part of the truck
or is it a stand alone part.
How is it fastened on screws, bolts, rivets ?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very few people drive with tailgate partially open / closed, whereas many drive with tailgate fully down (leaving home depot comes to mind). IMHO, I believe the partial open to remove sounds to be a more logical engineering / safety choice than full down..

I would imagine tailgate (while fully down) falling off while driving along would be an eye opener.
Too many arm chair engineers.