The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey hemi1282, where did ya get the headlights at.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

got'em on ebay awhile back healights taillights and 3rd brake light it was a package, had'em in my 2011

cbarker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
1969322_10203401590226549_690077863_n.jpg

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
that's the same ones that came in mine, them spyders fit this truck a lot better than my 2011 the edges were more flush I was happy with it just gotta get some hids

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
wow there sure is a lot of folks getting these trucks, I believe im the only one in my area that has one so far that ive seen, cant wait to c everyones mods an all, just got my windows tinted, debadged and put my lights in

I really need to debadge mine. Yours looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Hemi450hp from my research and looking through the service information the PVC system on our trucks is internal/integrated to the intake manifold :( catch can might not be possible for us which sucks :(

As for the intake it points of towards the passenger headlight and slightly upwards, but I looked through our parts system at work the throttle body is the same part number as all 2012 and up SRT 6.4 vehicles and some 5.7 vehicles so the ported/bored throttle bodies should work =D

Keep us updated on your end, I don't think I can stand having a stock vehicle for a very long period of time haha

We have catch cans for the 6.4 cars and Jeeps, so I don't see why Ram would change the PCV system on the trucks. Also, all 2013 and newer hemi vehicles use the same TB, so that I know will work on the new 6.4 Ram. I am going to keep digging out more info on this. Hopefully we will get a local customer to stop by so that I can check it out in person.

6.4hemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have catch cans for the 6.4 cars and Jeeps, so I don't see why Ram would change the PCV system on the trucks. Also, all 2013 and newer hemi vehicles use the same TB, so that I know will work on the new 6.4 Ram. I am going to keep digging out more info on this. Hopefully we will get a local customer to stop by so that I can check it out in person.

They apparently did it to help with "Pcv efficiency" whatever that means =/ , what, remember this 6.4 is a completely different motor, intake manifold included :/ I'd love to bring my truck down but I'm up here in Canada haha little far. Just stop by your local dealer and swing by your shop on your "test drive" to check out the truck haha I'm sure they won't question it lol

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Austin is kinda local! I'll drive down if you'll hook a brotha up!?! :signs6:

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll be at the exhaust shop this morning, should have some pics and audio this afternoon!

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Looking forward to the audio.

Olli

'14 Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm confused

My "low fuel" light came on yesterday and the little "tell tale" told me I had about 33 miles until empty. This feature was great and very accurate on my '03.

Anyway, I pulled into the station and proceded to fill up. The pump shut off after 24.5 gallons. According to my window sticker, I have a 32 gallon tank. If I only put in 24.5 gallons, then I should have been around 1/4 tank of fuel. My gas gauge was pretty much on E. Is this gauge electronically controlled or is there a "float" type mechanism like the older vehicles?

Also.... my odometer now reads 528 miles. It had 28 when I drove it off the lot on Saturday. I retraced all of my steps and confirmed mileage via bing maps. According to my calculations, I have only driven 440 miles since driving it from the lot. The odometer said 28 which means it should now read 468 miles. I'm off by 60 miles somehow. Is it possible that when they upgraded to the 20" wheels they didn't incorporate that into the computer?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I notice the same about my gas gauge. I have had mine say 3 miles left. I had a 5 gallon gas can just in case I ran out. But I was testing to see how much it took to fill it up. And I only got 26.9 gallons in it and that was to the very top of the neck.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
That's what I'm thinking. And my truck has that option for the 5 gallons of so of extra fuel.

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking forward to the audio.

Olli

Well, hate to disappoint everyone, but no exhaust today. Funny thing, all this talk and time we've spent about our 4" exhaust...turns out in the muffler shop world it's really just 3.5". SO.....when I show up this morning the guy was ready and waiting with the 4" Magnaflow that I had him order! When they actually got the truck up on the lift, we quickly figured out it was way to big.

So...no harm, no foul. So we dug back into the Magnaflow catalog and there is only 1 muffler that will fit 3.5 in 3.5 out. Part number is 14909, and it's a straight thru wide open performance muffler. In a nutshell, it's gonna be loud!

We pulled out the Flowmaster catalog and they have two street mufflers that will also work. Muffler 53553 is a Series 50 big block muffler which will give a little better than stock sound and performance. The other option is a 50 Series HD, part number 953558. This one is moderately loud and more aggressive.

We also talked about just changing the stock muffler out and utilizing the remaining stock pipe and stock resonator first to see how I liked it. If it wasn't loud enough or I didn't like the sound, we could remove the stock pipe and just dump it under post Flowmaster.

So long story short, he normally keeps a 3.5" Flowmaster in stock but just happened to be out. He will have another one this afternoon, and if I can get back down tomorrow he will put it on. Cost out the door will be $325.

The other thing I kicked around all the way home is this. I'm a crafty guy, have a shop full of tools to include a welder. Why couldn't I just order the muffler and do all this myself?? SO....now I'm torn. I'm gonna crawl under this afternoon and see what I think. Might not be work it to save a $100 bucks, but if I could save myself $200 then I think I'll get dirty!

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi all,
I'm a new 6.4 owner. Picked mine up last weekend granite SLT crew cab with 6' bed. I traded in my 06 GMC 2500HD Duramax.
Outside of the hit on the trade in value, I'm pretty enthusiastic about the truck for my needs. It’s a daily driver, plus we tow a 7000+ TT about 12 tips per year. Went with the 2500 because eventually will put a Harley in the back on those trips as the kids get older, and need the payload.

I'm getting 12.7 avg EVIC total driving, including idle time, Generally 13s in town, 15-16 on short hwy trips of 10 miles, compared to 14.7 overall with the Duramax on the same routes. I haven't tried towing yet. For daily driving, I'm liking the turn radius, back up camera, and don't miss the '06 diesel smell. I like the MDS for now and don't think the response is too bad if I want to step on it. (maybe I'm the only one)

I also noticed that the park sensor doesn't need to be pushed every time I start the truck, it warned me that it was off when I restarted this morning.

I'm learning lots on this thread, so thought I'd post so I get subscribed.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Welcome granite14 !

Congratulations on the new 6.4.

Olli

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, here's the end result of about 30 minutes worth of tinkering.

So I did some web research about Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and others. I ended up going with the Flowmaster Series 50 HD. The data actually referenced it was an ideal choice for the HEMI motor, so I went with it. The even greater thing, found an eBay auction through KMJ Performance, made an offer of $140 and it was accepted. It will be here Mon or Tue next week.

I went ahead and pulled the exhaust piping and resonator off. Figured I would have to anyway to install the Flowmaster, and I was curious to see if just running the stock muffler would improve sound/performance. Went for a drive and I would say the sound is less than 10% better, no performance change. If your curious, the stock muffler is 12" tall, 8" wide, and 28" long. The Flowmaster is 10"X5"X18", obviously smaller but the cool thing was there is actually a muffler hanger bracket already installed right around the 18" point! (see pic). Not sure if Ram just put there figuring we were all gonna change the exhaust or what, but it will come in handy!

Should be as simple as removing the stock and slipping on the FM. I will fabricate and weld some hangers and should be good to go. I plan on running a short section of pipe off the back and picking up a nice tip at Pep Boys just to divert the exhaust out. If the noise is too loud, I'll put a resonator back inline.

Keep y'all posted.....

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 262

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Here is the link for www.gotexhaust.com all ya have to do is give the same part # to advance auto and show them the price and I got it matched. It was almost $100 difference.

http://www.gotexhaust.com/i-14228978-kn-filters-63-1561-air-charger-performance-kit.html

Here is the part # K&N Filters 63-1561 Air Charger Performance Kit

OK. CAPS ON PURPOSE HERE. I JUST TRIED TO INSTALL THIS IN MY 2500 6.4L AND IT IS NOT THE CORRECT PART. OUR AIR INTAKE IS DIFFERENT AND POINTED THE WRONG DIRECTION. I SAY AGAIN, IT IS NOT THE CORRECT PIECE.