The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Congrats Mowin! Nothing more fun that getting to play and get to know a brand spankin new truck!

* Also check out the "Hidden Features" thread. If you aren't into reading all the manuals (and some stuff isn't even listed). You'll find all sorts of neat things, like the "Puddle Lamps" under the mirrors.

6.4hemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi450hp from my research and looking through the service information the PVC system on our trucks is internal/integrated to the intake manifold :( catch can might not be possible for us which sucks :(

As for the intake it points of towards the passenger headlight and slightly upwards, but I looked through our parts system at work the throttle body is the same part number as all 2012 and up SRT 6.4 vehicles and some 5.7 vehicles so the ported/bored throttle bodies should work =D

Keep us updated on your end, I don't think I can stand having a stock vehicle for a very long period of time haha

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been experimenting with driving in "6", after reading some other forum posts, to keep the MDS from kicking on at speeds other than flat out highway. I have to admit, it seems to work well and I love not dropping to 4 cylinders at 30mph! With all this said, I do feel like the truck shifts a little firmer in "6" then it does in "D".

Do you guys feel that continuous driving in "6" is ok? It sure beats spending $400 on a programmer just to disable the MDS feature, plus you can still use it at highway speed. My thoughts are as long as the tranny performs just like it would in "D", then there shouldn't be an issue with it??

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been experimenting with driving in "6", after reading some other forum posts, to keep the MDS from kicking on at speeds other than flat out highway. I have to admit, it seems to work well and I love not dropping to 4 cylinders at 30mph! With all this said, I do feel like the truck shifts a little firmer in "6" then it does in "D".

Do you guys feel that continuous driving in "6" is ok? It sure beats spending $400 on a programmer just to disable the MDS feature, plus you can still use it at highway speed. My thoughts are as long as the tranny performs just like it would in "D", then there shouldn't be an issue with it??

BTW...the main reason I've been playing with keeping the MDS off is because I'm going tomorrow to get some exhaust work done! I know I mentioned doing it over the weekend, but I held off to see if this MDS thing worked out.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I tried this but it didn't seem like it wasn't staying out of MDS. Other than that dull sound, how can you be sure it's not down to 4 cylinders.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I tried this but it didn't seem like it wasn't staying out of MDS. Other than that dull sound, how can you be sure it's not down to 4 cylinders.

On my Ram, there is NO doubt when it drops into MDS. The sound, the feel, is unmistakable. Even my wife can tell sitting in the passenger seat. Maybe mine is just different, I have had others tell me that they can't ever tell when it's in MDS but for me it's night and day.

When I stay in "6", there is no lag, better response, and none of the aforementioned issues.

Am I crazy??

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have noticed when I think it's on and I give it gas. I get this bad shutter and lag. It shakes the whole truck and bogs bad.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
On my Ram, there is NO doubt when it drops into MDS. The sound, the feel, is unmistakable. Even my wife can tell sitting in the passenger seat. Maybe mine is just different, I have had others tell me that they can't ever tell when it's in MDS but for me it's night and day.

When I stay in "6", there is no lag, better response, and none of the aforementioned issues.

Am I crazy??

I can feel it too. This is my first vehicle with MDS, and I notice it immediately. It feels like a very slight vibration, and sounds a little like it's lugging. So far, I always look at the instrument panel to see what the problem is. The only thing I notice is the instantaneous mileage goes from mid teens to upper twenties. Too bad it won't stay there just a bit longer. The slightest rise in the highway or tiniest headwind makes it cut off. Anybody know why they don't try to do a 6-cyl mode too? It could probably stay in 4-6 while unloaded cruising on the freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Why can't the 6.4 get its' own sub-forum so that we can separate topics ??? Clearly we have enough members that want to discuss the 6.4.

Olli

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
BTW...the main reason I've been playing with keeping the MDS off is because I'm going tomorrow to get some exhaust work done! I know I mentioned doing it over the weekend, but I held off to see if this MDS thing worked out.

Can We ask what kind of exhaust your getting. Are you staying with the 4"? Are you going to go stainless, if not. Are you not worried about it rusting away in a couple of years?. Also what brand and how much is it gonna cost ya.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
As promised here she is!!!.. she's a little dusty from all the sand that the town spread on the roads this winter.

Attachments

• 20140305_121931.jpg
    20140305_121931.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 106

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Thanks for posting that link. :worship: Great read!

Olli

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
wow there sure is a lot of folks getting these trucks, I believe im the only one in my area that has one so far that ive seen, cant wait to c everyones mods an all, just got my windows tinted, debadged and put my lights in

Attachments

• IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 97

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have a 10am appointment in the morning to get my windows tinted. I'm gonna have the back glass and 2 back doors blacked out and the 2 front doors to the max legal limit.

Oh, my K&N CAI comes in, in the morning. Advance Auto matched the price that www.gotexhaust.com has.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
wow there sure is a lot of folks getting these trucks, I believe im the only one in my area that has one so far that ive seen, cant wait to c everyones mods an all, just got my windows tinted, debadged and put my lights in

Hey hemi1282, where did ya get the headlights at.

cbarker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 14 ram 6.4 with a little over 3000 miles on it and for the most part I average between 14 and 16 mpg unloaded and I drive 90 percent interstate

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got 4% on front and browl, 15% on back it looks pretty much the same, damn they have k&n cai already for these trucks ima have to check in to that, been wantin one and some muffles bad