The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good advice here! I prefer the Toyos presence but their sizes aren't real desirable compared to Nitto options. I'll see who has the better price and go from there. I like the wheels stock and unless I find used ones I like I don't feel the need to buy new ones just some decent tires and enjoy it. Who knows, I change my mind every day this is my sixth vehicle since end of 2013!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just put drop in HID kit from retro shop. Looking forward to seeing them at night. Haven't decided what to do on fogs yet

2f2fad4b4652bf83f079e3fb2da2eb52.jpg

Also have her a quick wash since the dealership dropped the ball big time. I'll be doing a full clay, polish, sealant here in the coming weeks

38d2eec8fab803a073070fd6a8aba12e.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
061715%2001_zpslwv7wirz.jpg

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Can anyone else try something for me? Get going 60 mph and floor it until it downshift all the way to 2nd gear at 5000 rpm's and let off. Does it continue accelerating for a couple seconds? If I manually downshift to second it doesn't do it and it kind of scared me a little. If no one else experiences it I'm going to uninstall the tuner and see if that fixes it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Regardless or Whether it does or doesnt do it in somone elses truck that is a bad situation IMO and needs dealt with. I dont know mich about tuners but can you "flash" it or uninstall it and reinstall it on your truck and see if it fixes the problem.

Thats scary stuff.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Regardless or Whether it does or doesnt do it in somone elses truck that is a bad situation IMO and needs dealt with. I dont know mich about tuners but can you "flash" it or uninstall it and reinstall it on your truck and see if it fixes the problem.

Thats scary stuff.
I can but if other trucks do it I know it isn't a tuner issue and know the dealer will do nothing about it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can but if other trucks do it I know it isn't a tuner issue and know the dealer will do nothing about it.

Just for ***** n giggles I went and tried this since I was on the highway heading home. Mine does NOT continue to accelerate after letting off.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just got back from taking an inebriated guest home. On the way back I tried the WOT blast. It did not keep going and immediately decelerated. I do have a tuner and HF custom tune on mine.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Stupid question. Deleted

LDBagger17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A question for you guys with tuners what benefits do you see and is there a major change in performance?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just got back from taking an inebriated guest home. On the way back I tried the WOT blast. It did not keep going and immediately decelerated. I do have a tuner and HF custom tune on mine.

Just for ***** n giggles I went and tried this since I was on the highway heading home. Mine does NOT continue to accelerate after letting off.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Well crap... Thanks for doing that for me. I guess it's back to the dealer I go... I almost made it a year without having to go there!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just ordered a flowmaster 50 hd in SS. Undecided on keeping the resonator. Read numerous threads on it so I'll probably have it installed with reso and go from there. I've read some have painted the reso in black but no one has mentioned what paint they used. VHT seems most logical? Next up will be tuner and I'll be doing the paint correction with sealant soon as well. Maybe should create journal haha

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A question for you guys with tuners what benefits do you see and is there a major change in performance?

I got a DiabloSport I2 and a custom tune package by Hemifever from Matt @ Moe's Performance, a preferred vendor here on RamForum. The "canned tunes" in the I2 - those that come pre-loaded on the unit by DiabloSport - improved the throttle response some and did help me with tire sizes and such.

I then made contact with Hemifever (Sean) and he walked me through the process of logging with the tuner and sending him a copy of my stock tune and the logs. He took those files, worked up a tune that turned off MDS, set some shift points under WOT, added fuel to the mix at medium to high throttle pressure and a few other tweaks Sean has developed over time working on Hemi engine tunes.

Sean sent me the tune via email and I loaded it onto the tuner, then to the truck. It was quite the change. The truck ran a LOT better with super throttle response, power all the way up to 5500 with no hesitation, the shifting was firm (1st to 2nd was amazing...it chirped the tires once!) and overall driveablility at slower speeds was great. It would kick down with no hesitation and at what I felt were the proper speeds vs. waiting and waiting and waiting for it to shift down or having to give it more throttle than what felt right .

After a couple of days and some running around in traffic, on the highway, etc...I formed some impressions and logged again, sending those logs back to Sean with a couple of requests, i.e., to give me a bit more fuel at 4500 - 5300 RPM and to set my shift points at WOT just a bit lower.

It just plain woke up the truck and I am super happy with the results. I didn't do a before and after dyno on this truck but I did on my 5.7L powered MegaCab. The results there were eye opening. It wasn't so much this huge increase in torque and HP that I realized. Rather, I saw higher torque and HP values at lower RPM and the peak HP & torque results were spread out farther across the RPM band. Having more power down low just plain moves the truck. Having it respond to the throttle so well makes it feel that much more powerful. And the air/fuel ratio was spot on, right at 12.5 at WOT all the way across the RPM band.

With this truck I am feeling the same thing. And, since the butt dyno doesn't lie, I'd say I got an additional gazillion units of Beast out of the tune. :) Honestly, it turned the Ram truck with a 6.4L HEMI into what I expected it should be and could be, a smooth running truck with a significant amount of usable power.

Just ordered a flowmaster 50 hd in SS. Undecided on keeping the resonator. Read numerous threads on it so I'll probably have it installed with reso and go from there. I've read some have painted the reso in black but no one has mentioned what paint they used. VHT seems most logical? Next up will be tuner and I'll be doing the paint correction with sealant soon as well. Maybe should create journal haha

Any high temp exhaust system paint will work. The reso won't be that hot that far down the exhaust stream. Duplicolor, VHT, Krylon or RustOLeum all have what you need.

Try the system with the resonator first and see what you think. I don't have MDS on my truck anymore - turned off with a custom tune on the I2 programmer - and no resonator. I get just a little bit of drone around 1500 - 1800 RPM in full auto mode. It's not obnoxious but it is definitely exhaust system resonance.

Last edited:

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for your thoughts, @MADDOG. Very informative.

My plan is to leave the exhaust alone on the 2017 after it arrives -- initially at least -- but I am going to paint the exhaust black including the resonator.

I'll play by ear after that.

Very pleased to hear 411 regarding your tuning experiences...

Thanks,

-Guzzler

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
2017's are a bit more problematic than my 2014. Due to FCA's encryption of the PCM in your truck, to put a tune on yours you will have to purchase not only a tuner but also a blank PCM that can be tuned. So you are looking at right around $1k to do all that.

The last big thing I plan for my truck, having done the exhaust and a tune, is to put on a cold air intake. The one that I want has been announced but a lot of us 6.4L owners are still awaiting full production for the kit to commence.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2017's are a bit more problematic than my 2014. Due to FCA's encryption of the PCM in your truck, to put a tune on yours you will have to purchase not only a tuner but also a blank PCM that can be tuned. So you are looking at right around $1k to do all that.

The last big thing I plan for my truck, having done the exhaust and a tune, is to put on a cold air intake. The one that I want has been announced but a lot of us 6.4L owners are still awaiting full production for the kit to commence.

RE: Tuning -- That's what I read too. Not worried -- it's only $$$ -- and if it's worth it, I'll have my factory PCM to go back to if I sell, etc... In the diesel world -- they drop over $1k all the time -- but the gains are far more substantial.

So the evaluation would be $1k+ to tune a gasser -- how much benefit would be enjoyed? If the shift points, torque converter lockup on the 66rfe would be greatly improved along with extra fueling in the mid-to upper range, it might just be.

This is where your opinion is so valuable to someone like me contemplating (down the road) possibly tuning.

How do you mention a CAI and not state the make / model???? Hmmm.... ???? ;)

-Guzzler

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think the benefits are multi-layered and contribute to a better overall performing truck with optimized engine management for fuel, timing and spark.

Those benefits consist of:

much better throttle response,

crisp and precise shifting,

no delay in downshifting when additional power is called for through the throttle,

higher power values at lower RPM's,

optimal air/fuel ratios which eliminate a lean situation at WOT - this is a real power robber as the knock retard parameters are very conservative and even at the hint of pre-detonation the computer starts pulling spark, timing and fuel robbing you of power,

higher sustained power levels across the RPM band and,

if you can keep your foot out of it, a slight increase in MPG.

The CAI I was referring to, without specifics as it is a secret and you are hereby sworn to secrecy | :D | is the aFe POWER 54-72103 Momentum GT Pro 5R kit.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think the benefits are multi-layered and contribute to a better overall performing truck with optimized engine management for fuel, timing and spark.

Those benefits consist of:

much better throttle response,

crisp and precise shifting,

no delay in downshifting when additional power is called for through the throttle,

higher power values at lower RPM's,

optimal air/fuel ratios which eliminate a lean situation at WOT - this is a real power robber as the knock retard parameters are very conservative and even at the hint of pre-detonation the computer starts pulling spark, timing and fuel robbing you of power,

higher sustained power levels across the RPM band and,

if you can keep your foot out of it, a slight increase in MPG.

The CAI I was referring to, without specifics as it is a secret and you are hereby sworn to secrecy | :D | is the aFe POWER 54-72103 Momentum GT Pro 5R kit.

Appreciate your thoughts. :waytogo:

-Guzzler

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, I would love to get a tuner.