The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If the purchase price were the same, I would have taken home the Cummins. However, they were not, so the Hemi worked out better for me financially. It does everything I need it to do, and carries the family and dog around just fine.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was one of the guys who used to say "a 3/4 ton truck is useless without a diesel!". However, I have had a 2006 Duramax, a 2009 Ford and a 6.4 Powerstroke and now my 2500 with the 6.4L and 4.10 rear. I have to say, I love my truck. Yeah, a Cummins would be nice those 5-10 times a spring/summer I tow my RV, but my Hemi gets me there. It gets me home and is an amazing vehicle for empty travel and daily driving.

I don't regret my decision at all. If my truck was strictly for long tows and long commutes, then yeah, a Cummins would be the ticket, and one day I hope to have one. But for the money I saved and for my needs, I am now a believer in the gas HDs.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I was one of the guys who used to say "a 3/4 ton truck is useless without a diesel!". However, I have had a 2006 Duramax, a 2009 Ford and a 6.4 Powerstroke and now my 2500 with the 6.4L and 4.10 rear. I have to say, I love my truck. Yeah, a Cummins would be nice those 5-10 times a spring/summer I tow my RV, but my Hemi gets me there. It gets me home and is an amazing vehicle for empty travel and daily driving.

I don't regret my decision at all. If my truck was strictly for long tows and long commutes, then yeah, a Cummins would be the ticket, and one day I hope to have one. But for the money I saved and for my needs, I am now a believer in the gas HDs.

I will say this ram is light years ahead frame and suspension wise than my 05 superduty. I was a Ford guy for a long time. This is my 1st ram pickup. So far I am enjoying it very much. It was between the 2015 ford and ram when I bought mine. Ram won due to more for your money, boxed frame and a suspension that didn't squat like a wooped dog when I put my trailer on it. The little things like standard splash guards around bottom of wheel wells and wheel well liners standard were also nice goodies. Ford wants 160 dollars for liners. These should be standard. I am anticipating our camping trip to Tennessee in june to the Douglas lake area. I will have to make a thread on how it does towing the 9 hour trip.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I will say this ram is light years ahead frame and suspension wise than my 05 superduty. I was a Ford guy for a long time. This is my 1st ram pickup. So far I am enjoying it very much. It was between the 2015 ford and ram when I bought mine. Ram won due to more for your money, boxed frame and a suspension that didn't squat like a wooped dog when I put my trailer on it. The little things like standard splash guards around bottom of wheel wells and wheel well liners standard were also nice goodies. Ford wants 160 dollars for liners. These should be standard. I am anticipating our camping trip to Tennessee in june to the Douglas lake area. I will have to make a thread on how it does towing the 9 hour trip.

I tow my Jayco Eagle down that way quite often from WV. I go down I-77 and then across 81 and it's not a bad tow. Funny you mention the Ford however because I was between a '16 F-350 Lariet with the 6.2L and 4.30 gears. But like you, I felt the Ram offered the better amenities. Only thing the Ford had was sunroof and power extend mirrors. But I got what I wanted and I love my ram. And I have noticed it doesn't squat much at all with my 1400 lb tongue on my TT. I love the coil/multi-link rear suspension. It's great at towing!

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
We also have a jayco eagle. It's a 314bhds. Getting a new hitch soon. I am switching to an equalizer 14k 4point. Right now I have the standard reese round bars and sway bar.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I have towed my 8000 lb. trailer with another 1000 lbs. in the box for 20,000 miles with no problems. 9.1 MPG overall average over all types of terrain. No problems with the 6.4 and 3.73's. Before I bought it new I put a pencil to it and figured I would never recoup the $9000 dollar option of the diesel over the 6.4 for my use.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have towed my 8000 lb. trailer with another 1000 lbs. in the box for 20,000 miles with no problems. 9.1 MPG overall average over all types of terrain. No problems with the 6.4 and 3.73's. Before I bought it new I put a pencil to it and figured I would never recoup the $9000 dollar option of the diesel over the 6.4 for my use.

Good to hear on the 8000/1000lb trailer. I have towed our 5-6,800lbs horse trailer extensively with the 6.4L and love it, but we are also looking at travel trailers and most of what we are looking at is in the 7-9,000lb with 700-1100 tongue weight. The 3000lb payload is no stretch number for the 2500 from my experience and I know it handles towing loads in a very stable manner. Very happy with this chassis.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not going to lie and say I'd rather have the Hemi than a cummins but I certainly can't justify the cost difference for the little amount I drive. I love my truck and don't NEED anything more, hell don't even need a 2500. But I wanted the black appearance group, projectors and 8.4 screen so I'd have to pay 10k more for a diesel, makes no sense for me. The 6.4 has bridged the gap and can tow/haul better than some older diesels. It's a no brainer for people that don't need a cummins but need more than the 5.7 in a 7k truck

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
We bought our 2017 Laramie 6.4 with 4.10 on 12/3/16 with the intent that this truck would last us 15 years. I really wanted the diesel, but couldn't justify the expense for the little that we tow. There will be a TT in our future, but I plan to keep it well under 10,000lbs so, the 6.4 should handle it fine. It's thirsty as hell, but I absolutely love this truck!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If you do not mind me asking, what made you move on from the Silverado? I had a late 2014 Silverado that made me dump it because of interior rattle and fitment issues.

Not at all. I traded for several reasons and didn't go with a ford or Chevy this time.

- i was close to my payload limit on the Chevy with our current camper and we are looking at bigger ones.
- Chevy didn't have trailer tow mirrors, dealer wanted $1200 to put them on and the slip on ones were terrible.
- i really wanted a white 3/4 ton truck from the beginning a year and a half ago, but convinced myself i didn't really need a 3/4 ton truck.
- Chevy had crappy goodyear P rated tires, would have costed me $900 to upgrade the tires.

I looked at Chevy 2500hd, but from crawling around under all 3, ford and dodge were built the heaviest, Chevy uses front cv joints like a car and a steering rack. Plus all Chevy 4x4s are such low riders, that always bothered me how the ford and dodge towered over my Chevy.

Then some other more minor issues
- the 5.3 sounds like an erector set when you start it cold.
- trans shifting is complete garbage, very often clunked loudly on downshifts, way worse than the ram. Of course, the dealer told me both of those issued were "normal " what a joke.

- Chevys have a ton of torque management and a very lazy, laggy throttle, which i found very annoying
- the Silverado felt more like a car than a truck, yes it was 1500 series, but even at that it didn't feel very rugged like the 14 F150 i test drove did.
- the Chevy has a stupid wax coated frame which i hated.
- Chevy had stupid carpeted inner fender wells that caught every piece of dirt, leaves, etc you can imagine.
- at 10,800 miles, it already had some the typical Chevy interior rattles that i have always remembered GM products having over the years.
- ford and Chevy were a lot more money, and no nicer than the dodge. but even if they were all equal, I'd still have probably gone with the dodge. I love that big rig styling dodge made famous in 1994. The under rear seat and in floor storage bins are great ideas i really like, but dodge has always been very innovative. The 17 Super Duty was very nice, but again, way too much money and the front end is hedious, imo.

I'm not trying to trash it, it wss a good truck, and had heated leather seats, remote start, navigation, power driver seat (that already had a recall), etc.

Granted, i only have 110 miles on this ram, but compared to that Chevy , this ram is a piece of equipment. Period. Yes, any 2500 will feel that way compared to a 1500, but still.

So far, i really love this ram, yes I'd have liked to get the 4.10s, but for what I'm towing now, or the bigger camper were looking at (7 or 7500 gvwr) i can tell already the 3.73s in my truck will have plenty of pull. It's a great truck

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
This weekend I got a taste of how much better the 6.4 could work if it had the eight-speed. My buddy needed to borrow my box trailer to haul a bit of furniture, so I went along to help. He pulled it with a 1500 RCSB 5.7/8-spd/3.92. Other than the fact that I could feel the trailer pushing the truck around a bit, and it made the 1500 squat some, the driveline was so much "happier", and it was always in the right gear and not revving out as much. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my truck, but I now firmly understand how much the 6.4 is being let down by the six-speed.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This weekend I got a taste of how much better the 6.4 could work if it had the eight-speed. My buddy needed to borrow my box trailer to haul a bit of furniture, so I went along to help. He pulled it with a 1500 RCSB 5.7/8-spd/3.92. Other than the fact that I could feel the trailer pushing the truck around a bit, and it made the 1500 squat some, the driveline was so much "happier", and it was always in the right gear and not revving out as much. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my truck, but I now firmly understand how much the 6.4 is being let down by the six-speed.
Exactly. If I would have came from a different vehicle I wouldn't have ever known how much better it could be. Instead I came from a 8 speed to the 6.4 and wasn't let down, but I sure miss that 8 speed when towing, and for everyday driving I suppose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We also have a jayco eagle. It's a 314bhds. Getting a new hitch soon. I am switching to an equalizer 14k 4point. Right now I have the standard reese round bars and sway bar.

We have the 316RKDS. Dry on the sticker is like 7800 lbs. My tongue weight is arounf 1400-1500 loaded, so I went with the Reese Straight Line with 1700lb bars and I love it. I had a Blue Ox on order, but etrailer never could get a ship date and I needed something bigger asap. Overall, I love the Reese once it was set up and towing; hardly any sway at all - pretty much non-existent now.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I think I will need to go do the same, the 6.4 4.10 sounds too good

You want regret it, but I did have to wait about six months though, I order it from Dennis Dillion and when it came in as they were taking it off the truck it was damage. They ask me did I want it and I told them no sir I don't, so they had to order another for me.

Yes it was a long wait but I'm glad that I waited six months for it, you want regret getting one. I have a TT that weight about 10,000 lbs loaded and it tow it like crazy.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
We have the 316RKDS. Dry on the sticker is like 7800 lbs. My tongue weight is arounf 1400-1500 loaded, so I went with the Reese Straight Line with 1700lb bars and I love it. I had a Blue Ox on order, but etrailer never could get a ship date and I needed something bigger asap. Overall, I love the Reese once it was set up and towing; hardly any sway at all - pretty much non-existent now.

I am hoping for good results out of the equalizer. I have never really seen a bad review from anyone besides a little noise which I am not worried about. I have towed 3 seasons with our reese. It is under sized with 1k bars. Sway has never been bad once I tightened the sway bar more really I needed 2 sway bars for the length of this trailer. Now I should have plenty of sway control and better wd out of the bars. Should be much more solid connection.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
You want regret it, but I did have to wait about six months though, I order it from Dennis Dillion and when it came in as they were taking it off the truck it was damage. They ask me did I want it and I told them no sir I don't, so they had to order another for me.

Yes it was a long wait but I'm glad that I waited six months for it, you want regret getting one. I have a TT that weight about 10,000 lbs loaded and it tow it like crazy.

Man I think I got lucky. Granted I just wanted a tradesman but had dealer look on their network and they found exact truck I wanted with all options which is pretty much decked out for a tradesman. They did a dealer trade for it and had it in a couple days. Granted I wasn't too picky on color either. So that could be an option for you too. This was a local small town dealer I was working with too. They had to drive 2.5 hours to get it in Erie, PA.

BIGWHITE16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Truck smokes at first crank if it's been sitting for a couple hours. Smoke is white in color. It doesn't do it at idle. Just at first crank after been sitting. Goes to dealer tuesday. Has 1600 miles on it!

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Truck smokes at first crank if it's been sitting for a couple hours. Smoke is white in color. It doesn't do it at idle. Just at first crank after been sitting. Goes to dealer tuesday. Has 1600 miles on it!

Hmm, I have heard of this happening before, hope it's not serious.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it smoke or condensation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4

I saw this a couple times with my 16' 6.4 2500. I have over 11,000 miles on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk