The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wouldn't be surprised if they told you it's normal for a fresh motor. I bet they check a few things out, note oil level and tell you to come back every couple thousand to monitor.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Truck smokes at first crank if it's been sitting for a couple hours. Smoke is white in color. It doesn't do it at idle. Just at first crank after been sitting. Goes to dealer tuesday. Has 1600 miles on it!

Mine did that for a little while when new. After a few miles, I hooked onto my trailer and pointed it up the steepest hill nearby, and let 'er rip. It settled down and stopped pretty soon. Has not done it since then.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did the rings get seated when the truck was new? There is a reference here somewhere regarding how to treat the engine the first 300 to 500 miles. It could be a little bit of leakdown past the rings if they didn't get seated properly

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Transmission drip at bellhousing/motor?

I have a 2016 Ram 2500, 6.4 hemi, 4x4 with only 15,000 miles and I recently noticed a few drips of transmission fluid on the bell housing. I plan on taking it in for warranty work but just wanted to see if this was a known issue. The only other problem I've had is a leaking sunroof which was replaced.

Attachments

• 20170121_153232.jpg
    20170121_153232.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
especially even with 3.73's and you are telling us you can break the tires loose with traction control on !

these motors must be underrated from the factory.
This is true
Not sure on "engine sounds loud". Mine is by far more quiet than the Ford. And my old Silverado, but I had a CAI on it and muffler.

On the wet seat and carpet, its rained it's butt off here and I have sprayed it off every day. And have never had any water in mine. I even took it thru an automatic car wash twice.

I do definitely agree in the engine mounted fan. That is very old technology and definitely needs to be fixed.

Another con I have noticed, the stereo system. Not the best in the world. Seems like the speakers are very poor quality in sound and not very tunable as far as equalizer goes. Way to much of a dull bass thud should. I like to hear my music and like the clarity. Not just loud.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
rear end gear change

who has changed the rear gears in the Ram 2500 from 373 to??? and what results did you get? other changes that have to be made flash etc??

LDBagger17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered mine with 4.10's, there is a guy on here who had 4.56's installed in his if you can find it, why are you questioning this. I think I'd like mine even better if it had 4.56's

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I may be being optimistic on 1:1 but definitely there has been a resurgence in gas hd trucks. I don't really know what we can attribute this too. Maybe more people being realistic in the needs, pocket book, or the gas engines and transmissions finally upping the game. I came from a 05 ford v10 and have never owned a diesel. My father owns a 6.0 powerstroke which is fun to get in and romp on. But the 6.4 hemi is def. fun to drive and has a really nice sound.

How does your 6.4 compare to your Ford V10 Towing?
Did your Ford have 4.30 gears?

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a 2016 Ram 2500, 6.4 hemi, 4x4 with only 15,000 miles and I recently noticed a few drips of transmission fluid on the bell housing. I plan on taking it in for warranty work but just wanted to see if this was a known issue. The only other problem I've had is a leaking sunroof which was replaced.

any on the ground of your parking spot at home? just wondering how much it is dripping. im going to have to look specifically for that now.

also

the 3rd break light leak can be fixed with a slightly thicker pc of foam. just unscrew and look whats on it and get something thicker a you local hardware. mine was fine but i sprayed it down with fluid film and put it back on to help seal it up.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the 3rd break light leak can be fixed with a slightly thicker pc of foam. just unscrew and look whats on it and get something thicker a you local hardware. mine was fine but i sprayed it down with fluid film and put it back on to help seal it up.

silly how they designed it. The sheet metal is flat but the shape of the 3rd brake light is slightly concave. so the middle of the light barely compresses the foam, easily set up for a leak. Mine wasn't leaking but I still "upgraded" the foam. And despite future servicing difficulties, I still put some silicone on the foam.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
In reply to rivers question on gear change, Yes, I did have my dealer re-gear my Ram at about the 11k mileage. I am very satisfied with the work as well as the change for the better on general drivabilty as well as towing. I would ask though, what is your intended use for the truck. Also, where do you plan on towing? Truly, knowing what I do now and having towed for over 25k of the 44k miles I have on the truck, can honestly say if towing near the max weight, and also using it pretty much as a dedicated tow vehicle, would honestly consider the 4.88 gearing if it was available. For everyday driving as well as towing, I feel the 4.56 is about as good as it gets with the 66RFE Trans. Mileage in town is about the same. Mileage on the hi way depends on the elevation. Here in the Rockies with most of the daily driving in the 4,5,6k and over elevations, it is better. Still with that low of gearing, the engine tacks out at 2200 rpm at 80 in 6th. That is just where the 6.4 is starting to get happy. Also, the MDS is now working as well as possible in the higher elevations.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So i heald my traction control botton for about 10 seconds today. It was already off when i did it(light was on). The light flashed after about 10 seconds and then went out as if traction control turned back on. The differance was i COULD'NT TURN IT OFF again for a good 5 min or so... or at least it seemed that long. I was eventually able to tur it off again but i was a little freaked that i couldnt turn it off for a bit.

Strange.

Last edited:

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
How does your 6.4 compare to your Ford V10 Towing?
Did your Ford have 4.30 gears?

My v10 had the 4.10 gears. They seem pretty equal. Although the ram seems to pull better when accelerating from 50mph at half to full throttle. My v10 just seemed to make a lot of noise and did not seem to pull hard. When I first tried this on my first pull with it the ram put a smile on my face. The ford guys said that this did not sound characteristic of the v10 but who knows. Maybe mine needed a spark plug change or something. I woukd venture to guess this truck would beat a v10 in a foot race. It just seems very quick compared to my 05. And to think I am contemplating on switching back to a 4.30 6.2 ford. But I think this ram with the 4.10 hits a perfect compromise in towing power and good unladen mpg. That is where the ford would not perform I believe. I have gotten a true hand calculated 18.5mpg on a mostly highway trip to southern ohio. I don't think the ford v8 will ever achieve this. Plus this suspension is great!

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In reply to rivers question on gear change, Yes, I did have my dealer re-gear my Ram at about the 11k mileage. I am very satisfied with the work as well as the change for the better on general drivabilty as well as towing. I would ask though, what is your intended use for the truck. Also, where do you plan on towing? Truly, knowing what I do now and having towed for over 25k of the 44k miles I have on the truck, can honestly say if towing near the max weight, and also using it pretty much as a dedicated tow vehicle, would honestly consider the 4.88 gearing if it was available. For everyday driving as well as towing, I feel the 4.56 is about as good as it gets with the 66RFE Trans. Mileage in town is about the same. Mileage on the hi way depends on the elevation. Here in the Rockies with most of the daily driving in the 4,5,6k and over elevations, it is better. Still with that low of gearing, the engine tacks out at 2200 rpm at 80 in 6th. That is just where the 6.4 is starting to get happy. Also, the MDS is now working as well as possible in the higher elevations.

thanks for the reply my 2500 Ram is used to pull a 10 k # fifth wheel 90% of the time and i live in Texas i did not like the gearing / shifting when in higher elevations the motor torque i feel is totally adequate. i feel with a lower ratio the tranny will not "hunt" so much . do you tow in tow haul mode? my Ram dealer told me that they could only swap in 4.10 gears so i wonder why that is. i suppose re-flashing would be a problem if not done at the Ram house i do remember some where i read that 5.88 would be the optimum ratio to go to what say you?

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Reflash shouldn't be required for a gear swap, only if you're also swapping tire size.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
4.10s are the lowest gear for our trucks offered from Ram so they probably can't warranty anything else. If I change it'll be 4.30-4.56 and I'll have 35s. Before that though I'll be getting a full custom tune done as I think I this will help even more with shift points and torque management.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I got a quote from a local driveline repair place in town. to swap my 3.73's out for 4.10's was just over $2000. am i crazy or is that WAY to pricy.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If that's for front and rear, that sounds pretty cheap to me, assuming they are quality parts.