The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am dying to get rid of the OEM "flutter can" muffler, but don't want noise. The Mufflex sounds too loud in the video even with the reso(I think)in place. I spoke to them to see if they might make a version with a quieter muffler, but they didn't seem the least bit interested. All I want is improved efficiency and for it to sound like a V-8 at idle, rather than a hair dryer.

Check out some of the Magnaflow sound clips.

I have one on mine and it really sounds good.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Check out some of the Magnaflow sound clips.

I have one on mine and it really sounds good.

Do you have the cat back system? I didn't see a sound clip on the Magnaflow site. Also, the description on their site makes it sound like it only fits long bed crew cabs not short beds.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you have the cat back system? I didn't see a sound clip on the Magnaflow site. Also, the description on their site makes it sound like it only fits long bed crew cabs not short beds.

I believe it will fit the CC/SB models but the tips will sit back further by the bumpers. Here is about the only good picture of their 15333 exhaust kit installed I could find. Not sure it looks great, but doesn't look that bad either.

653Sbij.jpg

Just as tough to find any good information on the drone-factor with this setup. Would love to have some additional feedback before spending that kind of money on a cat-back.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, I didn't put on the whole catback system. At $1200 for the kit alone I decided not to do that. I did chop off the resonator, had a piece of pipe with a short turn down installed there and took out the stock muffler, replacing it with a Magnaflow #12589 (Center/Offset 22" can). There is just the hint of drone when MDS kicks in but it's not overwhelming and can easily be drowned out by turning up the tunes. :D

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, I didn't put on the whole catback system. At $1200 for the kit alone I decided not to do that. I did chop off the resonator, had a piece of pipe with a short turn down installed there and took out the stock muffler, replacing it with a Magnaflow #12589 (Center/Offset 22" can). There is just the hint of drone when MDS kicks in but it's not overwhelming and can easily be drowned out by turning up the tunes. :D

What else needs to be done to install the 12589 muffler? I would assume it's not just a direct fit, but can't tell (since my truck hasn't arrived yet) if anything needs to be bent/fabb'd/welded to complete this install.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

Do you think the drone would go away if the reso was left on? I may try to find an OEM muffler that someone is discarding just to see if I could defeat the flapper without creating a rattle or be left with loose parts rolling around in the muffler.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What else needs to be done to install the 12589 muffler? I would assume it's not just a direct fit, but can't tell (since my truck hasn't arrived yet) if anything needs to be bent/fabb'd/welded to complete this install.

The can of the stock muffler is longer than the 12589 muffler so a small piece of pipe was needed to make up the difference. It was added to the front near here:

20150411_122144_zpse9nfjvic.jpg

The 12589 also needed two hangers added so it could be supported in the stock locations. Here is a pic of the OEM muffler with the two stock hangers to give you an idea of what was needed to be added to the 12589:

20150411_124716_zps5xvpv9bd.jpg

That is all what was needed.

Do you think the drone would go away if the reso was left on? I may try to find an OEM muffler that someone is discarding just to see if I could defeat the flapper without creating a rattle or be left with loose parts rolling around in the muffler.

Yes, yes I do. But it is "butt ugly" hanging back there. I thought about painting it black so it would blend in but it's just too large.

One other possibility is to heat the pipe and bend it up a bit, then shorten the hanger. But please...here's what it looks like from underneath:

20150411_121327_zpsnndg4nzk.jpg

It just can't be hidden.

Oh...the flapper. Guess what...the dang thing is right in the middle of the stock can and looks pretty well fixed in place. I'm not sure if you can knock it out. Here's a pic:

20150411_124917_zps8vchuhw9.jpg

I'd not mess with it, frankly. If you are going to remove the muffler, just put the 12589 on and leave the reso on. See how you like it. You can always pull the reso off later if you want.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info maddog. I am in total agreement that the reso could not be any uglier, but I want the quiet factor and really don't want to spend the coin on a cat back. I know fooling with the flapper is likely an exercise in futility. I'm just pig-headed sometimes. LOL

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
LOL...we all are about certain things. But here's another idea.

There are smaller resonators available that could fit up in there and not be visible. Just a thought. :)

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2zxw8pu.jpg
is this the resonator? What exactly is the purpose of it? What is it supposed to do? In terms of sound, how much of a difference does this resonator thing make when its left on vs removed? It sure does look ugly as ****.

Last edited:

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2zxw8pu.jpg

is this the resonator? What exactly is the purpose of it? What is it supposed to do?

Yes. It's a sound chamber designed to isolate standing waves to eliminate drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I went with the Flo -pro. Dual 3 in and dual 2.5 out. Had the shop chop the oem set up behind the cats. Nice sound, no drone. You can tell in the cab that it's not stock but just barely. Behind the truck it's a nice rumble.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I went with the Flo -pro. Dual 3 in and dual 2.5 out. Had the shop chop the oem set up behind the cats. Nice sound, no drone. You can tell in the cab that it's not stock but just barely. Behind the truck it's a nice rumble.

I'll bet that sounds nice! Gonna take a video to share with us? :)

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds good in the vid..more grumble but no where near obnoxious. Plus i love the rear dump and the dual dump is pretty sexy. If you dont mind me asking, how much did that run you?

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
u guys with the 2013 2500 5.7 do they have the mds?