The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I been out for awhile came home got six recalls in mail within the past month and a half wth

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
20,000 miles. Four recalls and 3 campaigns. One of the recalls is still awaiting parts (track bar mount).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nice truck! I'll be pulling a Coachmen Catalina next spring. Without the mirrors flipped up is it hard to see around the trailer? I don't have the tow mirrors, just wondering if I need to buy extenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I didn't have the tow mirrors installed when I hauled the trailer home from the dealership and to say I was a bit nervous on I-95 with a brand new truck and trailer would be an understatement. I could see the adjacent lane just fine but i would guess there was a 5 foot blind spot toward the back of the trailer that could easily hide a motorcycle or small car.
With the tow mirrors life was amazing. It was perfect! Ram got it right with that setup IMHO.
However with them down for daily driving the right tow mirror is really screwing with my perception because the glass on both sides is standard and not the ol "objects in mirror are losing" stuff. I'm adjusting quite well though and just make sure I throw my big head over for a look real quick before switching lanes.
The install of the mirrors is really easier than I could have imagined. Well worth the buy. I've had extensions blow off, get bumped off and damage the surface of my standard mirrors on my old truck. Just my 2 cents.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If anyone is thinkin of gettin the aftermarket depo headlights I wouldn't bother with'em, from riding through maybe a days of rain both my headlight filled up with water, I took'em out dried them then filled up with water and the only place where water comes out is in this spot dunno what the hell it is kinda looks like a primer button on a damn mower, I'm thinkin the water came through blinker it wasn't a tight fit when I unplugged it I used the blinker connector that came with'em when pulled the bulb out the connection was soaked, lucky my hids didn't get ruined

Attachments

• 20151026_084548.jpg
    20151026_084548.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 54
  • 20151112_214812.jpg
    20151112_214812.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 50

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Greetings All. I wanted to slide into the 6.4 thread here and say Hi.

Gotta say I am LOVING this truck. I'm finally getting used to the interesting noise from MDS, but aside from that it is performing better than I dreamed. I bought the truck and the wife bought the trailer. I was sad to part with my 09 Ram, but she wouldn't hack it.

The only modifications made so far are the factory remote start, spray in bed liner and undercoat that I got out of the dealership for free, and although mine came with the "towing package" it didn't have the overhead lights and tow mirrors. So I found a brand new pair of em and installed them myself. Easy installation that took 15 minutes. When I take it in for her first 5k all I gotta do is get them to program the lights to work on the mirrors.

I know I might take ribbing about it...YES, in the pic below I DON'T have the mirrors up yet. I promise I did it right after I snapped the pic.

Awesome setup, how much your trailer weight?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank You!

UVW of it is 7,205, Hitch weight is 865. I haven't pulled it to the scale yet for exact numbers. I have about 1000 pounds of extra gear in it. Make storage is 2653. So guestimating, with 100 gallons of water n waste (which you aren't supposed to tow loaded...thanks dealership) adds about 800 pounds, I'd say she's every bit of 9500 pounds. And actually the Dealer told me that i could expect 10,000 fully loaded and tanked up.

Truck still wants to do +75. I really have to pay attention because it will creep up there with no effort at all. I'm so impressed and satisfied I can't tell enough people how awesome she's performing.

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
Put the first gas in it since I got it from the dealer. About 10.5 MPG by hand, EVIC said 12.3. Can't wait for this motor to break in, but happy gas is cheap right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It will get better. I saw a slight improvement start at around 4000 miles and it's is gradually getting better.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's a poor excuse of mimicing the OEM condensation vent found on the OEM units.

You may be able to close up some of the opening. The stock ones are made to depress in increments to open up or reduce the size of the opening.

That one looks fixed in place.

If anyone is thinkin of gettin the aftermarket depo headlights I wouldn't bother with'em, from riding through maybe a days of rain both my headlight filled up with water, I took'em out dried them then filled up with water and the only place where water comes out is in this spot dunno what the hell it is kinda looks like a primer button on a damn mower, I'm thinkin the water came through blinker it wasn't a tight fit when I unplugged it I used the blinker connector that came with'em when pulled the bulb out the connection was soaked, lucky my hids didn't get ruined

BoatingRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Intro and High Mileage Report

Hi all! Have lurked here a few times over the last year and a half. Finally got off my rear and joined the forum.

I have a '14 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn 6.6' bed that was purchased in January of 2014. Mods are a BedTred liner and a Lazerlite tonneau cover. Drove off the lot with 21 miles on the ODO. Yesterday I turned 68,869 miles.

First 20k, I was at the dealer every other week it seemed. First week (the first thousand miles) the Cam Shaft Position Sensor was dead. Truck spent the next week at the dealership waiting for the sensor to arrive from Canada. A few weeks later and it was back at the dealership for a bad Tire Pressure Monitor System Receiver Hub. After that it was a brake programming recall, multiple radio programming issues, and a park sense programming issue; which I must say having the park sense ringing in the truck for the 30 min drive to the dealership SUCKED!) Then magically around 22,000 miles all the shenanigans stopped and the truck has been absolutely terrific. I have three recall campaigns sitting on my desk now that need to be addressed. That dealer visit will be the first since the last campaign.

I have lost count of the oil changes. I switched from the dealership after 36,000 miles and started using an independent shop where the boys and girls all love Mopar. It is a big difference in the service they offer as they love my truck as much as I do! The differential oil change at 25k was about $450 at the independent shop (dealer quoted over $600). Oil changes still run about $100.

Next week she goes back into the shop for four new tires, another oil change, and the second deferential oil change. Going to try the new Michelin Defender LTX M/S and see if they can last as long as the OEM Firestone 20" (still the factory set and almost at the wear bars).

Fuel economy info:
I run mostly highway miles around Virginia. Always 87 octane unless towing my 10,000lb boat, then I run 89. Economy always pulled from EVIC. First 20k miles I averaged about 12-14MPG. After 24k, it improved to 14-16MPG. After 35k, I actually started smiling when I went to the pump. I have actually seen 19.9MPG is I baby her (rare) and don't drive over 70MPH (um, thats a waste of horsepower right?). Average economy is 16.4-16.7 around town and mountain driving. Driving on the flat lands of the coast and I average 18.1-18.8MPG. Towing my boat is usually around 12.2-12.6. Hand calculated a couple of times and the EVIC is close to manual calcs.

Around 55k miles I noticed white smoke at start up one time. Saw it again around 64k miles. Otherwise, she runs like new.

Hope this helps those asking about higher mileage reliability.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good stuff!!! Welcome to the forum. I like hearing about the 6.4L trucks that are starting to rack up some mileage.

mazurekd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 PW
Engine
$600 for a diff change at the dealer! Really?

Is that true? What does that all include?

Questioning because my PW is on order. I hope this is doable by a garage mechanic.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is that true? What does that all include?

Questioning because my PW is on order. I hope this is doable by a garage mechanic.
Provided they use the correct oils the differential services are as easy as pulling 14 bolts on the rear and 12 on the front and then refilling them and actually a dealer is cheaper than $100 for a oil change last time I was at one.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
why do you have to change the differential fluid so often?? Are we talking transfer case? That would make more sense on mileage and cost.

agpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
why do you have to change the differential fluid so often?? Are we talking transfer case? That would make more sense on mileage and cost.

According to the manual the transfer case oil first calls for a inspection at 60,000 and diff fluid at 20,000 unless severe duty in which case change at those intervals.

I can't imagine diff change would be that much. It uses 75W-90 gear oil. Drain and fill to inspection hole.

I attached the relevant section of the manual.

Attachments

• maint.pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 42

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Boating Rams post kind of freaked me out lol. Anyone else having any trouble. Just noticed tonight my driver side puddle light is out. Taking to the dealer tomorrow.

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Boating Rams post kind of freaked me out lol. Anyone else having any trouble. Just noticed tonight my driver side puddle light is out. Taking to the dealer tomorrow.
Occasional smell of antifreeze but they can't find the source. Leaking 3d brake light seal soaked my seats and carpet, they re-sealed it but I'm afraid it will happen again. Apparently has been happening to models for the past several years. The smell of burned wires in the cab on a hot days, they can't find anything say it could an odor from the interior upholstery. Service Mgr said he notices they same thing in his 2500.

Then there are the 4 recalls (1 still open waiting on FCA to announce the fix and parts) and 3 campaigns.

I added several accessories to the truck in the 1.5 years I've owned it however I'm not doing another thing to it at this point as I am on the fence at this point to trading it off. It won't take much more to push me off the fence in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanD