The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
New water pump got rid of the squeak

If I’m lucky this one won’t squeak because it’s probably the same damn part number.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It ended up being a bad shift solenoid. They couldn’t get one quickly, so they ended up replacing the whole valve body. Nothing found floating around in the fluid. Heading over to pick it up in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My crew cab 8’ bed Got me in a jamb for the first time today. Got 3/4 of the way up a parking structure that the clearance dropped to 6’4”!! Im well above that and my 35” tires didnt help.

The best part was there were cars behind me and i also didn't have room to turn around. Had to make my way down backwards a few levels. the other thing was all the construction inside had cones at the turns .. LOL...I finally got to an elevator that i could back up to so i could turn around. Went to the booth and they let me out for free.

Found a bigger underground parking struck and still ended up having to back out of one area that dead ended.

Last edited:

garysol1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question guys. Recently I sold my 2014 6.7 Cummins truck and replaced it with a 2017 6.4 2500 truck with the 3:73 gear. While I did not expect diesel like torque from the 6.4 I am a bit disappointed by the lack of power. I now have just under 1,000 miles on this truck and I find that while trying to hold a steady 70mph (not towing) the truck will downshift out of OD on just about any hill that we need to go up. Is this normal?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Question guys. Recently I sold my 2014 6.7 Cummins truck and replaced it with a 2017 6.4 2500 truck with the 3:73 gear. While I did not expect diesel like torque from the 6.4 I am a bit disappointed by the lack of power. I now have just under 1,000 miles on this truck and I find that while trying to hold a steady 70mph (not towing) the truck will downshift out of OD on just about any hill that we need to go up. Is this normal?
Sadly, yes. Wait 'til you get in the mountains or tow with it. Consensus is the issue is more the transmission than the 6.4, and I agree. Poor match.

garysol1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly, yes. Wait 'til you get in the mountains or tow with it. Consensus is the issue is more the transmission than the 6.4, and I agree. Poor match.

Thanks for the fast reply. At least I am not alone and its not an issue with my truck. Makes me feel a bit better.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gears gears gears... pair this thing with 456 or 488 it should hold better at 70 and mds should stay active longer yielding better fuel mileage.

Reactions: U&A

garysol1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gears gears gears... pair this thing with 456 or 488 it should hold better at 70 and mds should stay active longer yielding better fuel mileage.

I tried and tried to find one locally with the 4:10's but I just couldn't locate one and I was in a crunch. Wish now I would have just ordered what I wanted. Needing Instant gratification sucks....lol

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4:10”s are barely noticeably different, but a 456 or a 488 is where it is at, members have done the upgrade and they swear by it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine did that at first but after a few kms (15000 or so?) It's like a switch flipped and now unladen it will pull most moderate hills in 6th as long as I am not fighting a wind.

Sounds silly, but just give it some time to break in good and it takes on a whole different personality.

Sent from my mobile

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I tried and tried to find one locally with the 4:10's but I just couldn't locate one and I was in a crunch. Wish now I would have just ordered what I wanted. Needing Instant gratification sucks....lol
I ordered mine with 4.10 gears. Approaching 18K miles and no improvement. In the end it is the right truck for me, and coming from a Cummins makes it a really hard comparison, so I just grin and bear it.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mine did that at first but after a few kms (15000 or so?) It's like a switch flipped and now unladen it will pull most moderate hills in 6th as long as I am not fighting a wind.

Sounds silly, but just give it some time to break in good and it takes on a whole different personality.

Sent from my mobile

^^^^^^^^
X2 for me.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
So far mine seems to shift better the more I beat on it. If I'm farting around town it seems like it gets pissed off lol. This truck is actually surprisingly fun to tear down back roads with.

Still dont have enough miles to comment on it changing its personality yet.

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just finished another 8000 mile trip from AK to TX. Overall mpg 16.5 mpg (city & hwy about 50/50) hand calculated). I drive about 63 mph. All hwy driving mpg from El Paso to Houston on I-10 was 18. I try to stay at the lowest rpm in highest gear. We towed our RV only about 100 miles this trip. In Feb we're towing our 6000 lb. trailer from Killeen to Sierra Vista, AZ, so I;ll report back after that tow trip. My 2016 has been perfect, no issues. Total miles 35000. Love the Ram boxes. Wish for same truck w/ the 8' bed however.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Im sure going to miss my mileage of the diesel...........

I had a 6.4L before I got the CTD and I really liked the HEMI. However, I am constantly grinning when I calculate my CTD loaded and unloaded mileage when compared to what I used to get with the HEMI.

Not rubbing it in too hard, am I? :p

Can't help it. The Cummins just makes me grin sometimes... :D

garysol1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 6.4L before I got the CTD and I really liked the HEMI. However, I am constantly grinning when I calculate my CTD loaded and unloaded mileage when compared to what I used to get with the HEMI.

Not rubbing it in too hard, am I? :p

Can't help it. The Cummins just makes me grin sometimes... :D

LoL..... I do miss the torque and the MPG but I don't miss the laying on my back changing out fuel filters, quality of my 3500 leaf spring ride, not wanting to idle it when the wife runs into the store......etc....... Pro's and con's...... pro's and cons......