The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
all i hear is the ticking/clattering when it's cold, no knocking though. sounds just like mine....

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks Zeddy. As long as it's normal it's just a mind fudge. Noisiest vehicle I've ever had lol. Just worried me on reliability.

https://youtu.be/8FPR_MPwEkA

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Here's mine. Not cold start. Sounds the same.

https://youtu.be/9kj4PE0qhV8

That's just like mine. I think it's just the large diameter/thin-walled exhaust amplifying the rich fuel mixture/mechanics of the starting combustion. Definitely not lifters or bottom end. Remember there is a muffler and a resonator after 6' or so of the truck. If you stand real close to the back, it's all 'muffled' on startup. I think it's actually louder near the driver's door than it is at the exhaust tip.

Last edited:

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks guys. I honestly feel much better now. A buddy cold started his 5.3 Chevy and it did the same thing. Just not use to all this bad assery booming from this monster of a motor.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My neighbor said his 6.0 Vortec has "piston slap" until it warms up. It has 110,000 on it and it's been doing it since it was new. So he says.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My neighbor said his 6.0 Vortec has "piston slap" until it warms up. It has 110,000 on it and it's been doing it since it was new. So he says.
The older ones are well known for that. Too short of a piston skirt.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

Our shop truck is a 6.0 and it sounds like a bag of hammers on cold start.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ever stand next to an EcoBoost at idle? All you hear is tick tick tick tick of the injectors. Everything else is whisper quiet. I fixed mine with a 4" cat back when I had it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jarod129

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently (6/28/16) purchased a 2016 Power Wagon Tradesman. I started looking at a local dealership which had a new 2016 that I test drove. My salesman also showed me a used 2015 Power Wagon with 20k miles on it. As soon as I started the 2015 up I heard what sounded like a bottom end knock. The knock did go away after less than a minute. Needless to say this ruined my interest in the truck and I didn't even want to test drive it. After sitting down and doing numbers with the salesman, I went back to the 2016 I test drove and started it up. This time I was curious about any engine noise so I listened closely. This truck had the same obvious knock on startup lasting less than 30 seconds. At this point I thought maybe this was regular noise for the 6.4 on startup. The truck was started up a few more times and the knock didn't repeat itself. I didn't give it anymore thought. I couldn't reach a deal on the 2016 so I left. I found another new 2016 Power Wagon Tradesman I was able to make a deal on. The truck had been just delivered and completed PDI when I test drove it. I think it had 8 miles on the odometer. I didn't hear the knock on startup. I babied the truck home on the highway 50 miles making sure not to maintain a constant RPM or run it hard. First few days I didn't hear any abnormal noises other than the Hemi tick that is much louder than the 5.7s that I have owned. I hear it under acceleration echoing off things, etc. from inside the cab with windows up no A/C or radio as others have mentioned. I have been running 92 octane with no change in the tick. A couple of weeks ago on cold startup I heard the knock I had heard from the first two 6.4s I looked at. It again went away after less than 30 seconds. At that point I researched the knock and found this discussion on it. I heard the knock again last night on startup after it sat about 7 hours. The truck now has 879 miles on it and I have yet to tow anything with it. Both knocks I have heard have sounded just like the one in this video posted by MaddieandNolan1 on YouTube https://youtu.be/J2SZzVJiXYg. The only difference is the knocks I have heard have disappeared after less than 30 seconds to a minute. They all definitely sounded like bottom end engine noise and are very obvious from the driver side front wheel well. My truck has a production date of 6/16 so its definitely not associated with the service bulletin. Just wondering if this could be a normal noise that either progresses into something or doesn't? I haven't taken it to the shop yet being its intermittent at this point. Hoping it doesn't become consistent. If its normal noise I can deal with it. I know some engines are naturally noisy. I just think a valid explanation for the noise would be comforting to people. It also don't help that Chrysler has lowered their drivetrain warranty like others to 60k miles when you are hearing noises like this. I wanted to put my experience out there for others to take into consideration. I would hope by now Chrysler has fixed this problem and this is somehow normal noise. I would be very frustrated if this turns into the truck needing an engine replacement this early on. Let me know if you have any thoughts. I will try to get the noise on video for others to hear but to me it don't sound any different than those others have posted. Thanks.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have been listening lately to see if my truck has the same sound, and I have niticed that sound on a cold start up. It goes away in a few seconds though. I have 24,500 miles on it too. Otherwise the truck runs fine.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently (6/28/16) purchased a 2016 Power Wagon Tradesman. I started looking at a local dealership which had a new 2016 that I test drove. My salesman also showed me a used 2015 Power Wagon with 20k miles on it. As soon as I started the 2015 up I heard what sounded like a bottom end knock. The knock did go away after less than a minute. Needless to say this ruined my interest in the truck and I didn't even want to test drive it. After sitting down and doing numbers with the salesman, I went back to the 2016 I test drove and started it up. This time I was curious about any engine noise so I listened closely. This truck had the same obvious knock on startup lasting less than 30 seconds. At this point I thought maybe this was regular noise for the 6.4 on startup. The truck was started up a few more times and the knock didn't repeat itself. I didn't give it anymore thought. I couldn't reach a deal on the 2016 so I left. I found another new 2016 Power Wagon Tradesman I was able to make a deal on. The truck had been just delivered and completed PDI when I test drove it. I think it had 8 miles on the odometer. I didn't hear the knock on startup. I babied the truck home on the highway 50 miles making sure not to maintain a constant RPM or run it hard. First few days I didn't hear any abnormal noises other than the Hemi tick that is much louder than the 5.7s that I have owned. I hear it under acceleration echoing off things, etc. from inside the cab with windows up no A/C or radio as others have mentioned. I have been running 92 octane with no change in the tick. A couple of weeks ago on cold startup I heard the knock I had heard from the first two 6.4s I looked at. It again went away after less than 30 seconds. At that point I researched the knock and found this discussion on it. I heard the knock again last night on startup after it sat about 7 hours. The truck now has 879 miles on it and I have yet to tow anything with it. Both knocks I have heard have sounded just like the one in this video posted by MaddieandNolan1 on YouTube https://youtu.be/J2SZzVJiXYg. The only difference is the knocks I have heard have disappeared after less than 30 seconds to a minute. They all definitely sounded like bottom end engine noise and are very obvious from the driver side front wheel well. My truck has a production date of 6/16 so its definitely not associated with the service bulletin. Just wondering if this could be a normal noise that either progresses into something or doesn't? I haven't taken it to the shop yet being its intermittent at this point. Hoping it doesn't become consistent. If its normal noise I can deal with it. I know some engines are naturally noisy. I just think a valid explanation for the noise would be comforting to people. It also don't help that Chrysler has lowered their drivetrain warranty like others to 60k miles when you are hearing noises like this. I wanted to put my experience out there for others to take into consideration. I would hope by now Chrysler has fixed this problem and this is somehow normal noise. I would be very frustrated if this turns into the truck needing an engine replacement this early on. Let me know if you have any thoughts. I will try to get the noise on video for others to hear but to me it don't sound any different than those others have posted. Thanks.

I think what you are hearing is lifter tap from oil draining back into the pan. It sounds familiar to the video you referred to but it does go away when pressure builds. Mine does it once or twice a week.

Jarod129

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think what you are hearing is lifter tap from oil draining back into the pan. It sounds familiar to the video you referred to but it does go away when pressure builds. Mine does it once or twice a week.

Opie, thanks for the reply. The noise is almost identical to that in the video before it goes away. It's just so loud when it does make the noise it becomes alarming. I find myself closely listening to every cold start now. Your explanation and experiencing the same noise makes me less concerned about it. I figured there has to be some explanation for it being I heard it on two new trucks and one used one. Thanks again

Jarod129

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been listening lately to see if my truck has the same sound, and I have niticed that sound on a cold start up. It goes away in a few seconds though. I have 24,500 miles on it too. Otherwise the truck runs fine.

MN-Ram, seems like this might be considered normal. Opie has the same issue and suspects its oil pressure and valve related. Its good to hear you have 24k miles and the noise still goes away after warmup. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One thing to remember about the wrist pin issue is that the noise never goes away. It may quiet down after the engine warms up but it never goes away. And it is a strong clatter, not lifter tick.

Jarod129

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One thing to remember about the wrist pin issue is that the noise never goes away. It may quiet down after the engine warms up but it never goes away. And it is a strong clatter, not lifter tick.

Maddog, thanks for the reply and starting the thread. I wonder how loud the lifter noise can get before the oil pressure reaches normal PSI? This YouTube video, https://youtu.be/-9KBOAiCzD0 from startup to 4 seconds in before the rev is exactly what mine does and goes away. The clatter that starts at 3 seconds is the sound I hear. Mine lasts during high idle startup and is gone. It don't turn into the continuous clatter that the truck in the video has. Is this normal lifter noise at startup for this motor? It sounds terrible when it does it. I can always hear the lifter tick during most all normal operating conditions but not that obvious clatter sound at random startups that I get. Thanks

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Bearings, cranks, wrist pins, etc, do NOT go away. they may get slightly quieter, as the motor is not worked, rpm;s stay low and etc but they will always make noise, if bad.

ramp up the rpm's, or the working load , on the engine, and the noise comes back, just as loud if not louder.

if you have a noise, that does go away, it is a lubrication issue. once, lubed up, quiet and no more noise. there can be many causes for this issue but none are usually motor killers.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/582d1739f277d/20161116_185128.mp4

Thinking this is unrelated, but if in fact it's just the good old Hemi tick, it shows just how loud these things can be.

Just started hearing this within the last week now (22000kms). I suspect its because the ambient has started to drop. I don't hear it other than at idle and even then it's usually only when it's cooled down. This thread has me hypernsensative because the build date on my '15 falls into the TSB date range [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: