The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR440Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey Guys and Gals!

I'm new to this forum and I am feeling your pain in regards to the engine knock issue. My 14 Ram 2500 is experiencing the same issues. On cold start up it sounds like a hammer hitting an anvil. The noise eventually reduces but is ever present. I took it into the dealer for a recall, (track bar mount) and addressed the issue of the ever present noise. I advised them it sounded like a connecting rod noise. They are diagnosing and troubleshooting the issue. I was called by the service writer and was advised they have to pull the heads to diagnose the issue according to the manufacturer. I advised them of the TSB bulletin # 378269 as the build on my truck falls within their date and that it requires replacement of the engine. The service writer advised me that they have to go through the protocol for troubleshooting the problem by pulling the cylinder heads. I truly hope I get a new replacement motor. I love this truck for its storage, amenities, looks, and functionality. I picked it over the GM and Ford for this reason as I needed a competetent truck to tow a travel trailer and have owned Ford Trucks in the past but not been a fan of their front ends. I've always been a Mopar fan since a kid and I realize that once in a while you can get defective components from a supplier. Hoping all goes well. :favorites13:

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The wrist pin issue TSB does not require pulling cylinder heads. In fact, the tech that worked on my truck started doing so and they asked him why he did that when the TSB states the diagnostic is to cold start the truck, measuring time and coolant temps over several ranges, then repeat once the truck has cooled off.

An incorrect test or diagnosis could put engine replacement under the bulletin in jeopardy.

I'd be in touch with them on this and if you need a copy of the bulletin, PM me your email address.

RR440Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the fast reply. It sounds like the dealer was gonna do this regardless of what I told them. They advised that the manufacturer required them to do this. I will call them this afternoon to see what's up. I definitely know the sound of a lifter knock vs connecting rod, even a piston slap. Lol! Keeping my fingers crossed that the service writer advised the service mgr and tech of this.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Seems that the dealer's decision may be a slight misapplication of common sense given the information provided to them.

Good luck.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey gents- sorry to dredge this all up but I have some specific questions for the guys that have experienced it and our resident tach_tech.

At 21-22000 kms mine has just started this knocking noise. At first intermittetent but now it's easily reproduced. So my questions:

1. Is it possible this can take this long to surface on my 6.4?
2. Does the noise persist with throttle application?
3. What are the chances of a failure on the highway with it?
4. What exactly does "hemi tick" sound like?
5. Is there an updated TSB that includes 15s?

The reason for 3 and 4 is because my local dealer techs don't really seem interested in looking at it. Told me it's normal and they all do that. Never heard of this wrist pin issue. I am no tech, but I am no idiot either. It's sounding like ****. I have had numerous people ask me what is wrong with it. So I am stuck in the position of having to drive 2 hours east or west and getting a hotel room for an overnight stay so they can look at it- so I want to make sure I have all the info I can.

If in fact it's hemi tick- this is horrible :/

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck falls into the dates I'd prints the TSB and take it to them. I had to do that with a Ford once at our dealership. Told me there wasn't a tsb, printed it and oh... that must be new... a couple weeks old... sigh. But then our ford dealer service dept sucks. My FIL truck is there now for 2 wks. Low fuel pressure. Last week the excuse was we have never had a problem like this and we want our best tech on it. This week. Oh, we've known what was wrong all along but forgot to call and get approval to order parts...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. Have not heard of that specific interval. All the trucks that did it that I'm familiar with exhibited the issue right from the start.

2. Mine did. It quieted down but it was always there. The replacement engine emits no such sounds even after 18K miles.

3. Unknown as I have no idea what is happening in your engine. If it is piston slap caused by a undersized or failing wrist pin, and that pin fails, catastrophic damage will result. However, there's no telling what the chances are. It could happen at idle, low RPM or high RPM.

4. Just as it is written...it sounds as if a lifter is gently being tapped by a small metallic hammer. Piston slap is a loud clatter.

5. Unknown. I have heard from some 2015 owners who's build date and VIN are outside the range identified in the bulletin. However, their truck sounded just like mine did. I suggested they go to their dealer with the bulletin in hand and discuss the matter with the service manager or dealership general manager.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If your truck falls into the dates I'd prints the TSB and take it to them. I had to do that with a Ford once at our dealership. Told me there wasn't a tsb, printed it and oh... that must be new... a couple weeks old... sigh. But then our ford dealer service dept sucks. My FIL truck is there now for 2 wks. Low fuel pressure. Last week the excuse was we have never had a problem like this and we want our best tech on it. This week. Oh, we've known what was wrong all along but forgot to call and get approval to order parts...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

And that is a perfect example as to why dealers aren't trusted. A few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And that is a perfect example as to why dealers aren't trusted. A few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.
Yeah. I can't say my dealer is bad- they are always accomodating. They are just maybe lower volume and don't get to see a large sampling of these things. I don't feel they're inept- but they may possibly be sick of hearing from me about this so I'll give the guys a break from me :)

Going to head east to have BIL dealership look at it. Higher volume and maybe have some ideas. If they say the same- normal- then I know I can drop it. The more "hemi tick" samplings I see, the more I realize I am likely over reacting and this may very well be the hemi tick- but damn, that's nasty haha!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

RR440Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Clattering noise: possible wristpin issue

Well I talked with the service advisor today in regards to the clanking issue. She advised that the heads are torn down and they believe it was a lifter issue causing the noise and that they were awaiting word from Chrysler in regards to the next step. I specifically asked her if she advised the tech of the TSB wrist pin issue which I addressed to her. She said she advised the tech but the tech believes it is a valve lifter. So now I am in a holding pattern to see what steps are next. I still believe it is the wrist pin issue but I can't really say unless there is enough slop in the wrist pin to cause it to come in contact with the valves or wallow around in the cylinder wall. The sound is the same sound that Polecat94 had on his vehicle. When an engine sounds this bad it is only an amount of time before it will grenade. Still hoping to get a new engine with correct wrist pins. I will keep you updated as to the process. :superhack:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My '14 build date is 5/14 but with 18k Im sure it would have shown its ugly head by now! But hey, thats what a warranty is for! Also, just for future reference and those who visit this thread, its important to know what sound resonance is and caused by. Remember, we have huge frame rails that will echo sounds like crazy. Add a skid plate and it amplified. In Jeeps with the transmission/transfercase skid plate its known to be an issue in overdrive, the noise and vibration is amplified by the frame rails and skid plate. So that could be a reason why HD 5.7s are louder than 1500s.

Cardr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2016 is developed the knock back in February 2017. Starting making noise at 10,500 miles. Plus the transmission surges in 3rd and 4th gear. Can bare haul 1,000 lbs safely. Afraid to even tow a trailer now because of how much it slips and surges. I've had 2 hemi rams before this and they were whisper quiet. My 89 f250 351 with 289,000 miles and with a leaking exhaust is quieter than this hemi.
Dealer is not acknowledging the problem.
Engine has been getting louder since the problem developed. This problem can also be heard at 1,500 rpm 2,100 rpm and 3,000 rpm when hot. Also coming down on revs from 2,000 rpm to 1,400 rpm when hot. It sounds as loud as a diesel now. Dealer is denying that they can even hear it. This is clearly a rod knock.

https://youtu.be/yKs4fblL4MI
https://youtu.be/lEOfJnuKTX4
https://youtu.be/c-fyrS1OUNI

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2016 is developed the knock back in February 2017. Starting making noise at 10,500 miles. Plus the transmission surges in 3rd and 4th gear. Can bare haul 1,000 lbs safely. Afraid to even tow a trailer now because of how much it slips and surges. I've had 2 hemi rams before this and they were whisper quiet. My 89 f250 351 with 289,000 miles and with a leaking exhaust is quieter than this hemi.
Dealer is not acknowledging the problem.
Engine has been getting louder since the problem developed. This problem can also be heard at 1,500 rpm 2,100 rpm and 3,000 rpm when hot. Also coming down on revs from 2,000 rpm to 1,400 rpm when hot. It sounds as loud as a diesel now. Dealer is denying that they can even hear it. This is clearly a rod knock.

https://youtu.be/yKs4fblL4MI
https://youtu.be/lEOfJnuKTX4
https://youtu.be/c-fyrS1OUNI

Is it me or did the knocking stop after a few seconds? From what I've read, the wrist pin issue knock is always there, will never go away, after it's been warmed up????

Are those cold starts?
Knocking at cold start have been said to be the lifters. Yours sounds just a tad bit too loud to be lifters IMO.

Cardr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The noise is always there at cold starts but is gets quieter at idle after 40 seconds. I can hear if I listen carefully. But when warm the knock is heard at 1500 rpm and 2100 rpm. Then coming down on revs you can hear it at 1500 rpm.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah if it's making sounds like that while it's warm it's something lower end related....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A failed lifter can tick all the time. So can an exhaust manifold issue.

Take it to a different dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 5.7 sounds like this as well at start up. Eventually it will get traded in. Don't trust it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exhaust bolt head???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiaber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I THINK I SOLVED THE PROBLEM....ok, well not me, but the stuff i used - I'm calling it FIXED. I was plagued by the noise coming up from the wheel well on my 2014 3500 with the 6.4 hemi, I searched high and low, I gleaned through forums, i've visited this thread more than a few times, The dealership actually tore half the engine down looking for a problem.....i was ready to BURN MY TRUCK TO THE GROUND. I once had someone in a drive thru ask me to turn off my Diesel engine....I don't HAVE a diesel engine!

I found a charger forum that someone was talking about an additive that solved the hemi tick....I was skeptical, but was desperate to get the banging sound out of my life. Selling the truck and getting similar was not an option, and I don't have the work for a Diesel so I was trying to be happy with my gasser.

So, I called the dude....Brian at BND Automotive. I related my problems to him, and he told me a few stories about his customers that I COULD PERFECTLY relate to! I bought his stuff, the oil, the filter, and the fuel additive, after 1 tank, the truck sounded 50% better, now having run the stuff for a few months, the dang thing sounds almost new. I am about to purchase my second gallon of fuel additive (Aces iv) and oil for my wifes van. This spring I'm going to put his products in my diffs and transfer case, I'm also getting his Diesel additive to run in my CAT c15.

Just to re-cap - I DO NOT HAVE A NOISY HEMI 6.4 AAAAANNNYYYMORE!!!

100% sold on his stuff, and his knowledge of his industry and craft

If you don't believe me, Call him and talk to him -- i'm not asking you to take my word, i mean, this is the internet after all so its always right eh?... isn't it?

You won't be disappointed with his knowledge or his product

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you always have to have the fuel additive or it is a few times and it's treated?