This grill .. anyone ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
What they can be taken apart and snapped back together ? Yea that would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Or I can leave it as is and save to wrap the bumpers instead. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the surround separates from the insert that has the leds so it’s easier to paint, and in your case wrap lol

Here is my 3rd gen one apart after paint

3bde4f3ec1bd944e1bc0f65f71bc728e.jpg

d1b88693664db1370472b90fedd5e7a5.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
I just got mine installed this weekend (gloss black with white LEDs) and I think I am going to exchange it for the same grill in matte black. The gloss black is much darker than the OEM black paint under direct light. Its hard to tell the difference out in sunlight so it may not bother everyone but look the picture below and you can see a major difference under a flashlight. So far the EBay seller (Global Galaxy) seems accommodating and will swap the grills provided I pay additional shipping.

open

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Good point. Damm. I was all set to get the gloss version. Now you brought this up

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I just got mine installed this weekend (gloss black with white LEDs) and I think I am going to exchange it for the same grill in matte black. The gloss black is much darker than the OEM black paint under direct light. Its hard to tell the difference out in sunlight so it may not bother everyone but look the picture below and you can see a major difference under a flashlight. So far the EBay seller (Global Galaxy) seems accommodating and will swap the grills provided I pay additional shipping.

open

View attachment 128865

View attachment 128866

View attachment 128867

your truck is PXR black and not just regular black, thats the difference, i dont think you will be happy with a matte black grill on a fully black truck, personally if it really bothers you then id get it painted to match, a shop shouldn't charge you more than $100 to throw some matched paint on such a small item

the gloss one has the gloss inserts, the matte one will have matte, so later on if you decide to paint it to match, you will have to pay extra to make the inserts glossy...

also a thing to keep in mind, matte black plastic will almost always come out really gray in real life, so IMO it will make it look like a wrecked and replaced portion of your truck instead of a custom accent

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
your truck is PXR black and not just regular black, thats the difference, i dont think you will be happy with a matte black grill on a fully black truck, personally if it really bothers you then id get it painted to match, a shop shouldn't charge you more than $100 to throw some matched paint on such a small item

the gloss one has the gloss inserts, the matte one will have matte, so later on if you decide to paint it to match, you will have to pay extra to make the inserts glossy...

also a thing to keep in mind, matte black plastic will almost always come out really gray in real life, so IMO it will make it look like a wrecked and replaced portion of your truck instead of a custom accent

Knowledge......

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
Thank you for the color information. You are probably right about not being happy with the matte finish either. I am going to call a couple paint shops in my area to see what a color match would cost but I may just get completely different grill because I'm not in love with the look of the "Raptor Style" grill after seeing it in person. I had been looking at grills for weeks and finally got anxious and pulled the trigger.

On another note I did find a can of PXR Black touch up paint at walmart.com so when I get another grill i may spray this one myself just for a little fun.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dodge-Ra...k-Pearl-12oz-Aerosol-Spray-Touch-Up/396759677

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
That's what it says, even says no need for clearcoat afterwards. For $28 I will set my expectations accordingly because it will probably come out looking like a $30 paint job but if the part is not going on the truck anyway there is no reason not to have a little fun with it. See manufacturer info below:

"Perfect for small touch ups, rock chips, scratches or even larger areas. The paint is easy to apply and fast drying Each kit contains one 12 oz. can Single stage urethane color coat paint mixed specifically for your car or truck. Dries Shiny. Can be sanded and polished after overnight dry. Our precision fan patterns are the smoothest spraying easiest to use aerosol color on the market Durable single stage finish. No need for a clear coat."

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
That's what it says, even says no need for clearcoat afterwards. For $28 I will set my expectations accordingly because it will probably come out looking like a $30 paint job but if the part is not going on the truck anyway there is no reason not to have a little fun with it. See manufacturer info below:

"Perfect for small touch ups, rock chips, scratches or even larger areas. The paint is easy to apply and fast drying Each kit contains one 12 oz. can Single stage urethane color coat paint mixed specifically for your car or truck. Dries Shiny. Can be sanded and polished after overnight dry. Our precision fan patterns are the smoothest spraying easiest to use aerosol color on the market Durable single stage finish. No need for a clear coat."

Well. Worth a shot right. I would do it in my garage doors closed. A portion On the inside of the grill that faces the motor. See what happens.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do tell, how did you do that, where did you get the materials?

All i did was swap oem bighorn grill slat inserts for honeycomb grill inserts.
The inserts i found locally on offerup for 60 bucks

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

Oh lord, i swear i have so much cringe when i read that because i know exactly how bad thats going to look, im a skilled painter and when i rattle can something even with "quality" rattle cans it needs clear coat

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
No prep involved. ? Just point spray n paint ?

if the word paint is involved then the word prep is always right before it lol

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

O’Reillys carries own matched paint colors in spray and touch up.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

four bye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man. That looks awesome. I plan to hook them up to my parking lights. I don’t have much up front for lighting.

I was planning on the white too. Did it say the temp on the white ? 5k 6k ?

ad0f6d9b0de96c9689825471b3257fc1.jpg

BiGMERF... I like the grill. Could you tell me where you purchased it?

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
BiGMERF... I like the grill. Could you tell me where you purchased it?

The one on my truck now ? That’s my stock grill. Or the one I was asking about ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 EcoDiesel
four bye you can pick up the grill on ebay by searching for "raptor style grill". I'm about to send mine back to the seller for a matte black version. PM me if you want me to send it to you instead. $175 and its only been on my truck for about 30 hours.