Throttle body on daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Also tuned...I added CAI, muffler and tuner first. Then got 87mm throttle body. Felt the difference right away. With the tune and these easy bolt-ons this truck is a whole lot of fun to drive.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also tuned...I added CAI, muffler and tuner first. Then got 87mm throttle body. Felt the difference right away. With the tune and these easy bolt-ons this truck is a whole lot of fun to drive.

I did exactly the same thing. Putting those 4 components together makes a big difference. I just installed the 87MM TB over the weekend, and had Hemifever do an updated tune for me. I'm grinning ear to ear every time I get behind the wheel now.....she's a blast to drive!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I did exactly the same thing. Putting those 4 components together makes a big difference. I just installed the 87MM TB over the weekend, and had Hemifever do an updated tune for me. I'm grinning ear to ear every time I get behind the wheel now.....she's a blast to drive!!!

Awesome....I got an updated tune too.

Where is your idle? Mine is right around 750rpm and it's perfect. Feels like it's always loaded and ready to go. Pedal responds nicely at almost all speeds.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The e- fan is a fan for the air conditioner and the fan clutch is for engine temp but turns out the e-fan is sufficient for both so no need for the clutch fan.The stat is so the tuner can add more timing because heat can create detonation. its not all about adding timing its also about the vehicle keeping the timing it already has so in other words if you have 2 exact vehicles and one is running cooler on a hot day the one running cooler will have more power because its able to keep a higher timing and the one running warmer will have less power because its reducing timing to reduce the possibility of detonation or its sensing knock (detonation) and its pulling timing to try to stop it.

tuned by Jay Greene

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you mentioned that. I noticed this morning it was a tad higher, right around 700. And yes, you get that feeling it's loaded up and ready to rock....I'm really digging it.

I ran an 89 octane Hemifever tune for about 10 months without updating, so I think I was just really used to it. But when I installed the TB and then the updated tune, daaaamn what a difference. Sean also shut off MDS and smoothed out the shifting for me, what a huge difference.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My thoughts on the throttle body are its not much gain at all you might feel some difference in response but not much . I have a Moe's throttle body and didn't feel a difference myself as far as a cai k&n is a waste of money the vararam is the best they make for our trucks it kinda rams the air in and yes its a little cooler than under hood air but its not enough air pushing in to make a major difference , some but not a lot. I'm not sure of numbers but I bet a throttle body and vararam wouldn't give more than 20 HP if that much but 20 is better than none of course I could be really far off but in my experience with these two things I really didn't feel anything in the butt dyno as everyone calls it.

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP

11shagot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you mentioned that. I noticed this morning it was a tad higher, right around 700. And yes, you get that feeling it's loaded up and ready to rock....I'm really digging it.

Does running your idle that high screw with your fuel mileage? As far as the stat goes, do you need to wait until after a tuner is installed to make the change, or can you gain anything by doing before? Are you just buying a stat from the parts store, or does anyone have a link to what you are using? Also, does Sean charge each time he does an updated tune, or how does that work? Sorry for all the dumb questions, just kinda new to the mod world.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I know there are 1000 threads already out there about the 87 throttle body, but my question is, is this mod worth the money on a daily driver. I don't race my truck, and I never have any intention of putting it on a track. Does this mod produce any real world useful gains? Meaning, does it help with anything like towing, fuel economy, or passing at highway speeds? What reasonably priced mods would you guys recommend for these types of gains? I currently run 89 fuel, and have switch over to RP oil and filter. I also have switched the muffler for a better sound and more free flow. I am preparing to instal the S&B CAI along with my catch can as soon as it arrives. Next on my current list is going to be a trinity tuner. Will these mods help me at all with the gains I am trying to achieve? Please don't give the b.s. answers of "go to smaller tires," or "keep your foot out of it," or my favorite, " if you want fuel economy then you should have bought a car!" These are all obviously true, but I am looking for ways to optimize the truck I have and love, and there's is absaultaly nothing wrong with wanting a truck, but also wanting to milk as much fuel economy out of it as is available. Thanks for all the help!

Changing just the TB is useless. You will get a slight performance increase at first, because of the increased air flow, but it's only temporary. There is a throttle flow adaptive that will detect the additional airflow, and adapt the throttle until it is "normal" or you set an fault for air leak.

You need to change the TB with an engine tune/re-cal to make it worth while. I'd recommend doing the tune/re-cal first, as the stock TB can actually flow quite a bit. Unless you're spending a lot of time at high RPM, the stock TB should be sufficient.

thisgr8ride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have always been told that an intake is pretty well useless without a tuner as the trucks computer will compensate for the added airflow and put you right back where you started.

IS THIS TRUE ????
Just received my carven,
and
S&B CAI , 180 thermostat and throttle body from moe's but have not ordered tuner as of yet, am i wasting my time installing now??

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The best bang for the buck on these trucks is LT headers / Custom Tune / CAI and a 180 stat.

the rest is a waste of money on a daily driver.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Did anyone notice MPG difference when adding ported TB? Plus/or minus?
Probably like getting new exhaust... it's hard to tell cause your always putting your foot into it.:roflsquared:

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Probably like getting new exhaust... it's hard to tell cause your always putting your foot into it.:roflsquared:

Nothing crazy, but seems to be a little better. According to my EVIC, I typically get around 15-16 around town, now I'm getting about 16-17. But the throttle response is so good, I'm stepping on it all the time. So I'd imagine it could be better if I drove a bit more conservatively... but who wants to do that[emoji15]

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you even bother to read this thread? :hmm:
Page #1 Post #6

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Did you even bother to read this thread? :hmm:
Page #1 Post #6

I did... life got in the way. I have been bouncing between here & the HD forum over the last several weeks & forgot. Sorry