tint and the Pa state law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so I want to tint the front windows on my truck, according to what I have read 70 % light must come threw your window.... well walmart does not sell 70% tint the highest I have seen is 35%

any one know for sure whats the scoop ?

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
so I want to tint the front windows on my truck, according to what I have read 70 % light must come threw your window.... well walmart does not sell 70% tint the highest I have seen is 35%

any one know for sure whats the scoop ?

From my understanding... The reason the 35% or 25% never looks really dark, is because that number is measured by the amount of light that passes through the window and then reflects back out for you to see. I do not know where you can search for tint by the light passing straight through. I am not entirely sure though, maybe someone else will jump in

OP
OP
H

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I though that the tint rating ie 35% ment that its taking your clear window (100%) and dropping it down 35% thus making your window 65% darker

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I though that the tint rating ie 35% ment that its taking your clear window (100%) and dropping it down 35% thus making your window 65% darker

That's sounds like a solid explanation, but the only.thing wrong with that (no offense man) is that the 5% is really really dark, and the 25% is darker than the 35%

OP
OP
H

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's sounds like a solid explanation, but the only.thing wrong with that (no offense man) is that the 5% is really really dark, and the 25% is darker than the 35%

ya well that's wont confuses me I cannot figure out whats going on

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
i live in pa and never got pulled over for tint. mine are 20 % driver and passenger and cab windows and back cab windows

11321_147802452048061_698670220_n.jpg

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yep, the tint % is the amount of light the film lets through.So the darker you go the lower the percentage. I've never heard of a 70% film and I believe it wouldn't make much of a difference to be worth it anyways.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I live in Pittsburgh and my old audi I had 35 all the way around except for windshield and was only bothered once because I was speeding. My ram has tint all the way around except for windshield and I have not been bothered. I don't know the percent on the truck as I bought it tinted

OP
OP
H

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess ill go 20 and be done with it... hope I am good

Chadh1028

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pa officer here, and what I tell people who ask me is pretty much if its not from the factory it is more then likely in violation. Windows from factory already come with a very minor tint to them. People always say they have 35 they thought it was legal. Other posters were right about 70% light must be able to pass through. 35% tint is only allowing 35% light through. I have all mine at 20% and I don't write people for having there windows tinted either. All depends on the officer. Just remember if there tinted that always gives us probable cause to pull you over though lol

hnrypat21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i wouldn't pay for 70% tint honestly you will really be the only one that knows its there i wouldn't go lighter than 35% if your going to spend the money on tint. whether you are doing it yourself or paying a professional. I'm a go all the way kinda guy you get the same ticket whether you have 5% or 50% in Pa so i just go 5% on everything

IMG_0638.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My brother got pulled over with 20% by an allegheny county cop who ended up takin his license plate but never turned it into the state
Boy was that a mess

Be sure to put your windows all the way down should you get pulled over, must officers will let it go if they can see everything your doing (which is the reason why it's against the law)

OP
OP
H

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pa officer here, and what I tell people who ask me is pretty much if its not from the factory it is more then likely in violation. Windows from factory already come with a very minor tint to them. People always say they have 35 they thought it was legal. Other posters were right about 70% light must be able to pass through. 35% tint is only allowing 35% light through. I have all mine at 20% and I don't write people for having there windows tinted either. All depends on the officer. Just remember if there tinted that always gives us probable cause to pull you over though lol

ya no f*cking sh*t.... I can see it now " hey their goes a nice truck murphy" heck ya it is steve" wanna pull him over for his tint so we can have a look at it" sure why not... its been a slow night any way"

I did ride alongs in my town and they are huge on any thing they can be just to pull you over, they pulled my girl friend over with me in the car and told her they noticed her exhaust tip was kinda big and told her that in pa your not allowed to modify your exhaust in any way.

as much exhaust modding as I have done I should be in jail hahah. So once I tint my windows I will always have a bulls eye on my back

OP
OP
H

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My brother got pulled over with 20% by an allegheny county cop who ended up takin his license plate but never turned it into the state
Boy was that a mess

Be sure to put your windows all the way down should you get pulled over, must officers will let it go if they can see everything your doing (which is the reason why it's against the law)

ya I know that's the reason its against the law, again no offense to the officer but I would like some privacy, after all I did pay 30k for the truck... to me its like hey you can tell me what to do with my truck as long as the state or county makes my truck payments

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yes most vehicles coming from the factory are already tinted down to roughly the 70%, Iowa has the law of just the front doors but can be blacked out in back. Pulled over a few times with my Avenger, and insurance was gonna drop me so I had it removed from the doors. There is also the law of the tint on the front window, l like having the strip at least.

No tint below this line
as1line.jpg

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well, that's a ****** state, time to move to texas where just about everything here is legal.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes most vehicles coming from the factory are already tinted down to roughly the 70%, Iowa has the law of just the front doors but can be blacked out in back. Pulled over a few times with my Avenger, and insurance was gonna drop me so I had it removed from the doors. There is also the law of the tint on the front window, l like having the strip at least.

No tint below this line
as1line.jpg

We have the same AS1 line rule in Florida. Luckily, I haven't been pulled over yet, cause I am a good 2 1/2 inches below the line up front and I have a pretty good feeling my door window tint is illegal too.