Tire Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeMo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
04F3A34C-7702-4B53-9744-07A9E831E733_1_105_c.jpeg

I am wondering if someone might be able to assist me. I bought my 2020 Big Horn with beefy tires. I love the look but the ride at 80mph leaves a bunch to be desired.

My current tires are 33x12.50R20LT

Any advice on new tires that are more "all season"? I do not do any offroading except for the occasional Florida sand road once every 6 months. Just need a good tire that is all season, good in rain and preferably a bit quieter than current.

Thank you

OP
OP
J

JoeMo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am assuming those are on an unloaded 1500. My bet is you are packing WAY too much air pressure. Air your existing tires down to about 35-40 lbs each. Ride will improve greatly.
I will check them tomorrow. I know I put them higher than 40 due to my research. I do not tow or anything so yea unloaded.

OP
OP
J

JoeMo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do I need to replace with exact size or can I use a thinner tire (width wise)

Thanks again

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
i would guess that your truck does not need 12.50 wide tires

Maybe go to a chain type tire store & ask how much they would give you on a trade in toward a new set of tires

if you don't like the deal, sell them on one of your local places, Craigslist or something like it

Sell them locally, do not ship them
try to get a picture of the buyer

There are people in my area that have counterfeit $100 bills
Trying to pass them at Garage Sales, Lawn Sales, Tag Sales, etc.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Here is a tire pressure chart for your exact tire. You can find any tire size and make pretty much on this site.

Assuming your 1500 weighs about 6000 pounds with you in it and a full tank, your inflation pressure should be 30-35 PSI. The tire pressure is based on the corresponding pounds of weight on each tire.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I cannot read what the load rating is on your existing tire from that photo. LT tires commonly come in E, sometimes D or C.

A 1500 factory tire is most often a P rated tire, or maybe a C or D. As you go up in weight capacity and the carcass gets heavier the ride gets more harsh.

If you’re running empty and prioritize a smoother ride then look for a P or LT-C rated tire for a lighter and more flexible tire.

If you start with what is on your door sticker that’s going to indicate a good choice for ride quality and adequate for the weight rating.

OP
OP
J

JoeMo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, thank you all for the help. I have a clear direction. First thing I am going to do is deflate the balloons lol.
I do love the look of these tires so hopefully the lower air will help with the ride. We have a big 4 hour trip coming up this weekend.

I am shocked about the counterfeit 100's but I guess some people are always scamming.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I sold tires for 30 years and sold many brands. Michelin IMO is the best riding tire made but any of the major brands build very good tires. For the type of driving you mentioned a MIchelin LTX ms would be quiet with a great ride. Air pressure is the first thing to check.

Elvira

Reaction score
View attachment 518376

I am wondering if someone might be able to assist me. I bought my 2020 Big Horn with beefy tires. I love the look but the ride at 80mph leaves a bunch to be desired.

My current tires are 33x12.50R20LT

Any advice on new tires that are more "all season"? I do not do any offroading except for the occasional Florida sand road once every 6 months. Just need a good tire that is all season, good in rain and preferably a bit quieter than current.

Thank you
My truck, I installed Cooper Discoverer at3, I do like the tire for sure...but if I did it again I would use Michelin ltx. They are long wearing, fuel efficient, great in the rain and quiet running. Tire types are a personal preference though.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Here is a tire pressure chart for your exact tire. You can find any tire size and make pretty much on this site.

Assuming your 1500 weighs about 6000 pounds with you in it and a full tank, your inflation pressure should be 30-35 PSI. The tire pressure is based on the corresponding pounds of weight on each tire.

He's running LT tires, doesn't that make a difference vs standard P rated tires? Pressure should be 55F/45R, same as my stock Rebel with LT's with similar (but not the same) size tires.

LT285/70R17/E 121/118S55 psi45 psi

LT.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
LT just means light Truck Tire. But an LT can be a number of different load ranges. What changes is the load ranges from C,D,E etc. Typically a D tire will have a max inflation around 45, whereas an E will have a max inflation around 65 and F around 80, though some Es carry high max inflation numbers. This does affect maximum load capacity that a tire can handle and you should match your load range to the inflation chart, but long and short, most door stickers carry inflation recommendations based on max GVW to insulate the manufacturer. Few people run their pickus anywhere close to max GVW and thus lower inflation is the proper choice.

I can't see the load range spec or max inflatrion pressure on his particular tire but if he can, that will give him a good idea what load range it is.

From that same site.

Nitto Trail Grappler Tire Pressure Chart​

nitto-trail-grappler.jpg

Nitto Trail Grappler tires come in 53 tire sizes with maximum tire load capacity of 2205 pounds to 4079 pounds and maximum tire inflation of 35 psi to 80 psi.

Nitto Trail Grappler tire load capacity and tire inflation settings may vary based on tire load index / load range. Check Nitto Trail Grappler tire sidewall for more information. Tire inflation and load capacity values printed on the sidewall represent the maximum air pressure Nitto Trail Grappler tire can be inflated to support its maximum load capacity, and not necessarily the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle. Never overload or overinflate Nitto Trail Grappler tires beyond the maximum inflation and load capacity values indicated on the tire sidewall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeMo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, you guys are awesome! thank you so much for the advice and tips.. I did lower pressure from 45 to 35... I did notice a difference on the side roads. I have a trip to airport on Thursday and then a big beach trip on Sat/Sun.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
LT just means light Truck Tire. But an LT can be a number of different load ranges. What changes is the load ranges from C,D,E etc. Typically a D tire will have a max inflation around 45, whereas an E will have a max inflation around 65 an.

Your numbers are a bit off. Here's a rating chart, The PSI data applies to any tire or size. Tire Pressure Chart

I run my 285x70-17 10 ply, E rated at 40 psi all around