Tire Dillema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some ideas.... My 295/60/20's with around 60k miles on them rub the inner fender wells on my '18 Limited w/Air Ride. I am in need of new tires, but can only imagine that new rubber would even rub more. I was contemplating going down to 285/55/20's or maybe even back down to 275/60/20's but adding a wheel spacer.

Current set-up is Toyo Open Country AT Xtreme III on 20x10 Fuel Ansa wheels.

Thoughts???

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some ideas.... My 295/60/20's with around 60k miles on them rub the inner fender wells on my '18 Limited w/Air Ride. I am in need of new tires, but can only imagine that new rubber would even rub more. I was contemplating going down to 285/55/20's or maybe even back down to 275/60/20's but adding a wheel spacer.

Current set-up is Toyo Open Country AT Xtreme III on 20x10 Fuel Ansa wheels.

Thoughts???

What’s the offset on those aftermarket wheels compared to your stock ones?

Also your current 295’s are an inch taller than the stock 275’s that were on there at one point so depending on what the offset is of those new wheels, might make your rubbing worse.

I’m running stock-size Michelin Defenders on stock wheels on my Limited, and I noticed after putting 1.5 inch Bora spacers on there, that my front tires now rub on the inner fender wells but, they’re more/less rubbing the outside shoulders on my form-fitted weathertech mud guards.

Somebody else that knows more about that would have to chime in and say whether or not bringing your wheels out even further would reduce or increase rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
LCACER

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s the offset on those aftermarket wheels compared to your stock ones?

Also your current 295’s are an inch taller than the stock 275’s that were on there at one point so depending on what the offset is of those new wheels, might make your rubbing worse.

I’m running stock-size Michelin Defenders on stock wheels on my Limited, and I noticed after putting 1.5 inch Bora spacers on there, that my front tires now rub on the inner fender wells but, they’re more/less rubbing the outside shoulders on my form-fitted weathertech mud guards.

Somebody else that knows more about that would have to chime in and say whether or not bringing your wheels out even further would reduce or increase rubbing.

The wheels are -18 offset. Not sure what the stock ones are. I guess BDS makes a 4" lift that people have been getting for the air ride, but I don't want to pay out 3 grand for that.....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wheels are -18 offset. Not sure what the stock ones are. I guess BDS makes a 4" lift that people have been getting for the air ride, but I don't want to pay out 3 grand for that.....

Yeah, I’d have to go search for that wheel offset chart I found a while back to better explain to myself what all that means about what the offset of your wheels but, about how much further out from the wheel wells does your tires protrude after you put those new wheels on? I don’t know if it’ll help much but this before and after pic of my truck shows the stock Limited wheels with an inch and a half offset added after putting on 1.5” Bora spacers.
91682af59bc1a556e8fe2603f1cb9670.jpg

faba45ad4033f29378c9664dbe1fd186.jpg

OP
OP
LCACER

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I’d have to go search for that wheel offset chart I found a while back to better explain to myself what all that means about what the offset of your wheels but, about how much further out from the wheel wells does your tires protrude after you put those new wheels on? I don’t know if it’ll help much but this before and after pic of my truck shows the stock Limited wheels with an inch and a half offset added after putting on 1.5” Bora spacers.
91682af59bc1a556e8fe2603f1cb9670.jpg

faba45ad4033f29378c9664dbe1fd186.jpg

Here is mine.

Truck1.PNG

OP
OP
LCACER

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a tire conversion calculator. 295/60's = 33.9" x 11.6; 285/60's = 33.5" x 11.2; 285/55's = 32.3" x 11.2; and 275/60's = 33" x 10.8

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah, it looks like you’ve got a little bit more pokin’ out from the well than I do there.

If you’re gonna stick with them larger tires, you’re probly gonna have to either lift it or level it to get the clearance you need to get rid of the rubbing. I’m not sure about what all that lift kit consists of that you told me about but beware of just simply putting those longer links on your front levelers if you plan to get your front lift off just adding air. Do they make a leveling kit that levels the old fashioned way with spacers on top of those air struts?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factoryl - 20x8.0 Wheel (Big Horn) Offset +19.5 mm - Back Space 5.25”

Factory - 20x9.0 Wheel (Laramie) Offset +19.5 mm - Back Space 5.75"
I’m assuming that’s the same for the Limited wheels?

OP
OP
LCACER

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it looks like you’ve got a little bit more pokin’ out from the well than I do there.

If you’re gonna stick with them larger tires, you’re probly gonna have to either lift it or level it to get the clearance you need to get rid of the rubbing. I’m not sure about what all that lift kit consists of that you told me about but beware of just simply putting those longer links on your front levelers if you plan to get your front lift off just adding air. Do they make a leveling kit that levels the old fashioned way with spacers on top of those air struts?

The only one that I am aware of is the BDS. Maybe down the road I will consider lifting it, but I think as of now, I will just choke up the pride, and get a size smaller, and do some "trimming" in the wheel well.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only one that I am aware of is the BDS. Maybe down the road I will consider lifting it, but I think as of now, I will just choke up the pride, and get a size smaller, and do some "trimming" in the wheel well.

Well, if you go down to the stock size- which is one size smaller than what ya got, you might not have much run after that.

How bad is it rubbing?

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swap the leveling links from front to back. You should gain enough in the front to clear those tires. Its a free swap and easy to do. Google it. Only down fall it the off road 2 setting wont work but if your like me you'll never use it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swap the leveling links from front to back. You should gain enough in the front to clear those tires. Its a free swap and easy to do. Google it. Only down fall it the off road 2 setting wont work but if your like me you'll never use it.

With all the issues I’ve been reading about towards it, I don’t think I’d advise messing around with that air suspension....

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all the issues I’ve been reading about towards it, I don’t think I’d advise messing around with that air suspension....

To each their own. IMO its a free mod and if it doesn't work put it back.

I know a few ppl with air suspension (myself included) and not a problem to speak of.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To each their own. IMO its a free mod and if it doesn't work put it back.

I know a few ppl with air suspension (myself included) and not a problem to speak of.

I’ve got air ride on my truck too with no issues as well, but after my initial 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty runs out, I have a lifetime warranty that kicks in after that.

I just wouldn’t wanna take that chance because if that compressor craps out for any reason, it’s not cheap to fix.

But yeah, do that at your own discretion is all I can say.

OP
OP
LCACER

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, if you go down to the stock size- which is one size smaller than what ya got, you might not have much run after that.

How bad is it rubbing?

seems like at about 3/4 or maybe a little more, it rubs pretty good, again that is with old tires. Once I put new tread on, it will be worse.