Tire Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Obviously I don't need them yet, but does anyone have a preference for replacement AT tires for the OEM Firestone Transforce HT 245/70R17 E/119's that came on the truck? These OEM tires are 10-ply all-season and are actually pretty good, but from a towing standpoint they lack traction so when the time does come to replace them I'd like to go with an AT tire. I'm not that brand-loyal so any major manufacturer would be fine by me.

Last edited:

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$645 for all four balanced and hazard warranty from Walmart. 60,000 mile. Cooper At3 discovery all terrain. Load range “e” so they ride a bit hard, but I’ve got a set on my wrangler and so far they have been great. Best of all built in Arkansas in the great USA

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a big fan of the factory Firestone’s. Wore fast and traction was not great. I’m a Toyo open country fan. Ran both the ats and mts. Currently running the at2 285/75r18. Little larger than factory but fit without a lift. Waited till Walmart ran a sell. Got them for 215 each and had a local shop install them.

Toyos balance well and use a hard rubber. They seam to last longer on heavy trucks. Only buy E rated.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I took the Transforce tires off my 22 2500 at about 1000 miles. Put a set of Michelin LTX AT/2's on. Improved the handling and I have much more confidence in them in wet/slick conditions. Got good money for the used tires via FB Marketplace too. Sold in a day.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I just posted this on another thread.

I was running the Falken Wildpeaks. Time to change. My tire man recommended Continental TerrainContact H/T. I read the current very high ratings, plus they are snow rated, so I went with his advice. Been very satisfied.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - I just put on a set (10 ply & Load Range E) maybe a month ago and what a huge improvement in rain traction and all around drivability, plus at least 1mpg improvement over the previous set of tires. Great highway tires with no noise, and strong as heck.

A big bonus was the incredibly minimal weight it took to balance them out on the road force balancer. The most weight was 2.25oz on one tire, and the other three were 0.75oz, 1.75oz, 1.5oz per tire.

I was running BFG KO2's (10 ply & Load Rang E) before, and while I do miss the more aggressive look, I don't miss the poorer fuel mileage and the issues I was having with balancing.

I got them balanced three times on a road force balancer this season alone (third season on them, and they still had the nibbly bits, so excessive wear was not an issue) and the least amount of weight was 7.75oz, one was 9.5oz, one was 10.25oz and the last was 10.5oz.

I keep my tires at 40psi cold (door says 39psi front and rear) and I am extremely overboard on my tire pressures (checked and adjusted at least monthly), and I get an alignment yearly, too.

My tires always have even wear across the entire surface with no feathering, scalloping, and no center wear out.

It seemed that the more aged the BFG's got the more weight they took. It was also verified that my rims are true with no wobbles or hops, and that the BFG's had no belt shifting or hopping either.

So I'm unsure as to why they got the way they did. All I can speculate on is that the rubber aged and caused issues. I also stored them in a climate controlled area and stacked them properly over the winter so as to not get flat spotting either.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I've had good luck so far with Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires (275/60 20). Over 20K of my 98K miles have been pulling a trailer. I replaced tires every 20-25K... these ride a bid rough when empty and have a bit more road noise. I've tried Michelin, Hankook, Goodyear, etc. None of them wore as good as these tires have so far. The biggest thing is that they start out with 18/32 of tread depth. Most others are 12/32 or 14/32.
As far as good bite - I drove hours on I75 in a snowstorm pulling my 6000 lb trailer. Even in the unplowed passing lane (6" of snow) they were awesome.

my 2 cents.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have had good luck with the General Grabber AT2's (now the ATx's). When I need new tires I'm going to try them on this truck - they've been great on every other truck I've had them on.

Surprised you guys are saying the Transforce HT's aren't good for towing - I had them on an F350 dually and they were great on-road and on gravel. On basically anything else I had to put it in 4WD, but on the highway they handled a 42' toy hauler and a 43' Jayco Pinnacle just fine.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I have had good luck with the General Grabber AT2's (now the ATx's). When I need new tires I'm going to try them on this truck - they've been great on every other truck I've had them on.

Surprised you guys are saying the Transforce HT's aren't good for towing - I had them on an F350 dually and they were great on-road and on gravel. On basically anything else I had to put it in 4WD, but on the highway they handled a 42' toy hauler and a 43' Jayco Pinnacle just fine.
The Transforce HT's came stock on my 2500. They're ok when it isn't raining. Wet traction is terrible. And they hydroplane quite easily.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

They came on my RAM. They're fine tires, I'm just looking for something with a bit more aggressive tread.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can't find trailer tires anywhere on their site. What size are they?
They are not trailer tires to be clear, they are light truck tires. LT235/75R15 load range E 10 ply 80psi max, it's gone from 2,180lbs capacity per tire to 2,755 per tire. I did have to buy new 15X6" wheels as the 15X5" stock wheels were to narrow for a 9.50" cross section tire.

Why did I go with LT tires? I personally don't like ST trailer tires and don't buy into the hype. I spent 15 years in the tire industry and back then all trailer tires were LT regardless of trailer type. I rarely saw issues other than an occasional defective tire, tire misuse or due to trailer problems. Now with ST tires there are constant failures and a good percentage cannot be explained other than garbage tires.

Mine came with Goodyear Endurance and I lost two within 30 days for no reason. I have 5K on these tires now and there's no wear on them at all, they ride 100% smoother than the ST, and the trailer feels solid behind the truck and the tread depth over double of an ST tire. I'm not advocating anyone else do this, just what I do.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They are not trailer tires to be clear, they are light truck tires. LT235/75R15 load range E 10 ply 80psi max, it's gone from 2,180lbs capacity per tire to 2,755 per tire. I did have to buy new 15X6" wheels as the 15X5" stock wheels were to narrow for a 9.50" cross section tire.

Why did I go with LT tires? I personally don't like ST trailer tires and don't buy into the hype. I spent 15 years in the tire industry and back then all trailer tires were LT regardless of trailer type. I rarely saw issues other than an occasional defective tire, tire misuse or due to trailer problems. Now with ST tires there are constant failures and a good percentage cannot be explained other than garbage tires.

Mine came with Goodyear Endurance and I lost two within 30 days for no reason. I have 5K on these tires now and there's no wear on them at all, they ride 100% smoother than the ST, and the trailer feels solid behind the truck and the tread depth over double of an ST tire. I'm not advocating anyone else do this, just what I do.
I certainly won't argue with a person who worked in the tire industry, but I guess it might partially depend on how much you tow. I have always run trailer tires. I tow a bass boat about 500 miles per month. I was going through a set of tires every year, and changing one or both grease seals at the same time. I finally figured out it was because I was running bias ply tires, which were harder rubber and rough riding. I switched to radials and for the next couple years until I sold the boat I had zero issues and the guy who bought it asked if I had just put tires on it.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

I've had to opposite experience.

Back when trailer tires were LT tires every member of my family had multiple blowouts. On one trip my son blew 3 of his 6 tires within a 50 mile stretch. This was with a variety of makes but primarily with Carlisle tires.

I pull a 9800# dual axle vacation trailer. Family members pull similar trailers and none of us have had a ST, 15", 10 ply trailer tire fail. We religiously replace them at 5 years.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like I said, not for everyone. Tires are like oil, everyone has their own opinion and this is mine based on experience.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had the Toyo Open Country AT2s for about 5 years on my truck, and they were by far the worse tire I have had when it comes to wet roads. The wear was great, but just wanted to feel safer on wet roads, as my wife refused to drive it if it was raining, and my grandchildren ride in it with me. I have read the AT3s are better, but not fully there yet. I just replaced them about a month ago with the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, and even though I don't have a lot of miles on them I have been impressed so far, and would recommend them. I have the Outdoorsman that calls for the 10-ply tires, and they are run at 43 front and back.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I have done the same over the years. I always had bad luck with Goodyear ST's on my trailers, so started putting LT tires on them. The only catch is many shops won't put non-ST tires on a trailer, so you have to pull the wheels and take them in, rather than pulling the trailer to the tire shop. I've had nothing but good experiences going to LT's.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Interesting, I have no experience with them but if you hop on any RV forum you'll find the Endurance being recommended almost every time? A ton of people swear by them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500