Tires for Towing (yes, another tire thread)

What do you pull your bumper pull travel trailers with?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm late to the thread, but I had a 2015 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman that came with the Goodyear Wrangler Pro-Grade 265/17 Load Range E tires. I had a ton of problems and recalls with that engine, so worked with the dealer to 'exchange' it for a nearly identical truck, (2019 'Classic') but with the 5.7 Hemi. Unfortunately, I could not influence the tires it came with and it came from the factory with the same chintzy 'SR' version tires you have/had on yours. The first time we pulled our 25' trailer, I couldn't keep it between the ditches; the tires squirmed and squished like they had no sidewalls.
I wound up - after only 1500 miles - buying a set of the Wrangler Pro Grade tires for this truck, and sold the factory-original ones on a local selling website. These work great for hauling a load or pulling a trailer. As a side-note, when I flipped the 2015, those Pro-Grade tires had 60,000 miles on them and were nowhere near the tread-wear bars in the tread.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm late to the thread, but I had a 2015 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman that came with the Goodyear Wrangler Pro-Grade 265/17 Load Range E tires. I had a ton of problems and recalls with that engine, so worked with the dealer to 'exchange' it for a nearly identical truck, (2019 'Classic') but with the 5.7 Hemi. Unfortunately, I could not influence the tires it came with and it came from the factory with the same chintzy 'SR' version tires you have/had on yours. The first time we pulled our 25' trailer, I couldn't keep it between the ditches; the tires squirmed and squished like they had no sidewalls.
I wound up - after only 1500 miles - buying a set of the Wrangler Pro Grade tires for this truck, and sold the factory-original ones on a local selling website. These work great for hauling a load or pulling a trailer. As a side-note, when I flipped the 2015, those Pro-Grade tires had 60,000 miles on them and were nowhere near the tread-wear bars in the tread.

That’s awful strange that your experience was that bad compared to other reviews. I wonder if you just had a bad set, or if maybe you were just too much used to a 10-ply? I’m not trying to de-credit your story but it just makes me wonder what happened for you to say they were that bad that you couldn’t keep your truck between the ditches.

Was your air pressure good? Were you using a weight-distribution hitch? Did you have too much tongue weight? Look, I’m not in no way praising those GoodYears by any means. Hell, I got rid of the brand new set on my Limited only a short 1500 miles into my new truck but that was only because I knew where those tires were headed based on the experience of very poor ice/snow and wet road traction in a downpour that made these tires very prone to hydroplaning on my old truck so I ditched these early enough to get a decent amount of money out of them that went towards my BFG’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Nothing strange about that those goodyears Suck Ass for anything let alone towing, plenty of reviews stating that fact.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing strange about that those goodyears Suck Ass for anything let alone towing, plenty of reviews stating that fact.

Well sir, I am in no means endorsing those factory tires but you just proved my point that negative reviews shouldn’t always be taken for complete gospel, I don’t care how much “fact” they’re all supposedly oozing with. There’s plenty of people who tow with these things, and have not had a lick of problems so I guess their facts don’t count??

OP
OP
NorZeman

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the discoverer AT3 XLT installed today.
First impressions (from my 10 mi drive home): they have a ton more grip than the SRAs (duh), nearly silent still, ride quite a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable still.

Installer had the front left 2psi lower than the other 3 and truck was pulling to the left..fixed the PSI when I got home and will have to see about the pull.

I love the look though [emoji846]657bcd2a0ac1c1e45eebdace682fb40f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the discoverer AT3 XLT installed today.
First impressions (from my 10 mi drive home): they have a ton more grip than the SRAs (duh), nearly silent still, ride quite a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable still.

Installer had the front left 2psi lower than the other 3 and truck was pulling to the left..fixed the PSI when I got home and will have to see about the pull.

I love the look though [emoji846]657bcd2a0ac1c1e45eebdace682fb40f.jpg

My lawn mower probably has more grip than them SRA’s....lol.

What pressure did you air them to?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well sir, I am in no means endorsing those factory tires but you just proved my point that negative reviews shouldn’t always be taken for complete gospel, I don’t care how much “fact” they’re all supposedly oozing with. There’s plenty of people who tow with these things, and have not had a lick of problems so I guess their facts don’t count??

Correct your "facts" dont count. There are far more people that hate the SRAs than like them period.
The tires do not work well in any condition let alone towing.

Did you tow anything with them ?
Anything heavy ?

OP
OP
NorZeman

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My lawn mower probably has more grip than them SRA’s....lol.

What pressure did you air them to?

You probably aren't wrong about the lawn mower.

Set them at 48psi cold for now. Want to play around with it to see what gives the best ride/wear.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct your "facts" dont count. There are far more people that hate the SRAs than like them period.
The tires do not work well in any condition let alone towing.

Did you tow anything with them ?
Anything heavy ?

So my “facts”, and other people’s “facts” don’t count, huh? Why, because yours, obviously and that there’s probably more negative reviews towards probably the absolute most cheapest tire Ram coulda chose for OE for our trucks? Well, I don’t give a **** if my “facts” mean squat to you or not. Just the “fact” alone that the reviews that go hand in hand with your opinion are reason enough to not care what you think.

And yes, if you’d go back and read, I’ve stated several times that I have towed, and I have towed fairly heavy on those factory GoodYears. Yesterday, it was here, the other day here was a mention, another and this was the first time so yeah, I did. Sure, they’re all the same occurrence but yes, I have towed on probably the most hated tires and yes, it was heavy. And it was a long trip, over 700 miles.

Todd Stockslager

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SRA’s are trash! 2017 Express 1500 4x4 CC at 30,000 miles I started looking for a replacement because they started wearing fast plus they never had good traction! I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3’s after driving on skids for the next 6,000 miles. I drive a work truck most of the time that’s how I was able to make them last the extra 6 grand. The Falkens are really nice. Great traction in the rain and on dry roads. Minimal road noise, but to be expected with an aggressive tread. I tow a 29 foot camper although it only weighs 6400 lbs loaded With a WDH. I also have 3.21 gears. Very happy with the Falken’s

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
So my “facts”, and other people’s “facts” don’t count, huh? Why, because yours, obviously and that there’s probably more negative reviews towards probably the absolute most cheapest tire Ram coulda chose for OE for our trucks? Well, I don’t give a **** if my “facts” mean squat to you or not. Just the “fact” alone that the reviews that go hand in hand with your opinion are reason enough to not care what you think.

And yes, if you’d go back and read, I’ve stated several times that I have towed, and I have towed fairly heavy on those factory GoodYears. Yesterday, it was here, the other day here was a mention, another and this was the first time so yeah, I did. Sure, they’re all the same occurrence but yes, I have towed on probably the most hated tires and yes, it was heavy. And it was a long trip, over 700 miles.

Lol, didn't read it all, just cherry-picked key words that he wanted. Another troll....

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

Yes your opinion is **** although you think its the only one that matters, **** all you got to do is read your post you argue with everyone..lol
Facts..lol ******* you are SRAs are crap cheap tires period.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes your opinion is **** although you think its the only one that matters, **** all you got to do is read your post you argue with everyone..lol
Facts..lol ******* you are SRAs are crap cheap tires period.

I’m not arguing with everybody. I have an opinion just like everybody else does. Do I still think anything over a P-rated tire for the strictest purpose of towing is overkill? Absolutely. Agree of ya want, don’t if you don’t. But call my opinion ****; as luck would have it, I really don’t care.

******* you are? Who you trying to be, Yoda?

And I realize the SRA’s aren’t the best of tires. I got rid of them early on my old truck because even though they towed a fully-loaded Uhaul trailer just fine through almost three states- there, did it again just for your benefit but on ice and in heavy downpours, they were downright dangerous.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You probably aren't wrong about the lawn mower.

Set them at 48psi cold for now. Want to play around with it to see what gives the best ride/wear.

Are they the stock size? I would think 48 would be fine. You could probably even stand to run them at what the Rebel’s OE tires are.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think people expect more from the SRA's than they should.

The OE SRA's were chosen for several reasons - quiet, soft ride, good mpg and probably not overly expensive as well as decent dry handling and light rain handling for a while.

Also from what I have been told over the years, the tires that come OEM are not the same tires you buy in the store - even though they are the same model.

They aren't meant to last 50,000 miles

OP
OP
NorZeman

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think people expect more from the SRA's than they should.

The OE SRA's were chosen for several reasons - quiet, soft ride, good mpg and probably not overly expensive as well as decent dry handling and light rain handling for a while.

Also from what I have been told over the years, the tires that come OEM are not the same tires you buy in the store - even though they are the same model.

They aren't meant to last 50,000 miles

Just for the record, my expectations for the SRAs were low going into it. 3 of the last 4 vehicle purchases I've been a part of have had SRAs on them. They are quiet, good on MPG, and acceptable in dry weather, and just barely ok in slightly wet conditions.. until they have reached about 8/32 tread depth, and then they turn to absolute crap in wet or dry, IMO.

I'm not sure that I buy that OEM are different than aftermarket, but I have no proof either way.. my brand new OEM SRAs, on my Ram, performed and lasted about the same as the SRAs that came on my 75k mile grand cherokee or my high mileage F150. But the stealerships had installed them on both of those vehicles, so guess I dont know if you would consider them OEM or aftermarket.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may not be true any longer - if it ever was. Just what I had heard back in the day.

The 8/32 was probably the point where all of the soft good handling rubber was gone - and probably past the 12 month/12,000 mile mark. Even though tires have never been warrantied by the auto manufacturer for even the 12/12 warranty, many times if the tires failed or wore out in that period they some times would help out.

Tires have always been a separate warranty from day 1 for some reason.

I think most people think Ram just throws on the cheapest tire they can and that just isn't true - Ram wants to meet several metrics with the tires and cost is one of them, but if they don't meet the other metrics then the tires won't be on the new truck - and quiet and mpg are the 2 biggest.

OP
OP
NorZeman

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are they the stock size? I would think 48 would be fine. You could probably even stand to run them at what the Rebel’s OE tires are.

Yeah stock size for me. Looks like Rebels OE are 55psi front/45psi rear?

Playing around with some numbers based on available conversion metrics for P to LT.. (these are my calculations based on my understanding, so may be off a bit)

If the 9% rule for a P-metric on a truck is true, 48.5psi in my LT would equate to the 39psi on my placard for the stock P-metric SRAs
Using the 9% rule, 55psi in the LT would equate to max load on the SRAs

If we don't use the 9% rule, 55psi would be needed on the LT to match the 39psi rating on the placard.
And again, ignoring the 9% rule, going up to 60psi would match my max load at 44psi on the SRAs

I'm probably going to try bumping it up to 55psi and see how it does/feels.

traveler15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use Cooper discover ATX3,,they do a nice job,,I pull 8k on 2019 1500 5.7 hemi with 4x4 and 3.92 gear,,,wheels are 18 s,,,the tires handle good in snow and on rainy days

kxlexus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P tires don’t belong on a truck. Even a half ton. I traded mine for a set of BF Goodrich KO’s before I got home with my new Longhorn last summer