Towing 6,200 lb travel trailer with 3.6 V6 Pentastar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
What kind of terrain will you be towing this trailer over? Hills, mountains, flat lands or ?? If mountains I wouldn't say it would be enjoyable. If flat areas to the next freeway koa, maybe you'll be alright. Terrain plays a large factor.

As long as he is willing to be slower than even the heaviest loaded Tractor Trailer, on every incline.

Not to mention, this is a daily driver. Overall dependability & reliability , without the need for constant repairs, once warranty expires, is a concern. I assume.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they talking about 5500 lbs and flat road.
I don't want to talk anyboy's stuff bad. I'm just saying- you want to buy a camper which almost fills out the max tow of a vehicle, while everybody else is telling you- go with 1 number bigger than what you need to have reserves.
I you want to do it, do it and don't ask if you can do it.
My personal opinion- which is not necessary the opinion of anybody else- you should had thought about it before you bought the truck. The V6 does not give you much more gas mileage than the V8 and the V8 does not cost much more than the V6. the big difference: with the Hemi you're flexible. with the V6, you're not.
I would not pull more than 4000 lbs with this truck. everything else will wear the engine out.
When even the 4.7L V8 has problems with the weight you want to tow, you can do the math, what the v6 does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Okay, thanks for all the replies everyone!

Just to clarify a few things. I know on paper that a v6 with 269 torque doesn’t sound like the right vehicle for this load and from the responses so far it looks like it probably isn't. But as Ramzaq showed with his link there are some positive towing reviews for this vehicle. And no that is not just flat ground in his video. They towed on the Davis Dam Grade.

Here is another positive video. This guy claims he’s towing a 7,900 lb fifth-wheel with the V6 Pentastar with 3.21 gear ratio. He doesn’t start talking till about 1:28 into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKIHSvlyE8

On the other hand this video from TFL truck is not so positive, but unfortunately it doesn’t specify the gear ratio or transmission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6OYXemTxE

Also, I don’t have the the trailer or the truck yet. I was forced to put something in my profile when I signed up. I’m looking to purchase both. The Quad Cab Pentastar configuration is my favorite RAM 1500’s because it has the highest payload capacity, low initial price and great mpg when not towing. If it won’t work, I’ll probably get the new Ford f150 2.7 Ecoboost instead. I’m not really interested in a Hemi or Ecodiesel because of the lower payload capacities.

I will be pulling on mostly flat ground and rolling hills; although I will occasionally encounter mountains.

I’m really hoping to hear from more people who have actually towed with the V6 Pentastar with 3.55 ratio. Can anyone recommend another section of this forum or another forum to possibly get more views from Pentastar owners?

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
strangely I did not see a 7900lb 5th wheel trailer in the video, I guess it's like me saying I was a ***** star in the mid 80's bwah

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
strangely I did not see a 7900lb 5th wheel trailer in the video, I guess it's like me saying I was a ***** star in the mid 80's bwah

Ha ha, I agree. He should have panned back with the camera. ...one of the reasons I'm trying to get more feedback from real owners. For what it's worth, the video sounds honest though ...between the christian music and the salt of the earth workman's voice. Not sure what the incentive for lying would be either.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, thanks for all the replies everyone!

Just to clarify a few things. I know on paper that a v6 with 269 torque doesn’t sound like the right vehicle for this load and from the responses so far it looks like it probably isn't. But as Ramzaq showed with his link there are some positive towing reviews for this vehicle. And no that is not just flat ground in his video. They towed on the Davis Dam Grade.

Here is another positive video. This guy claims he’s towing a 7,900 lb fifth-wheel with the V6 Pentastar with 3.21 gear ratio. He doesn’t start talking till about 1:28 into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKIHSvlyE8

On the other hand this video from TFL truck is not so positive, but unfortunately it doesn’t specify the gear ratio or transmission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6OYXemTxE

Also, I don’t have the the trailer or the truck yet. I was forced to put something in my profile when I signed up. I’m looking to purchase both. The Quad Cab Pentastar configuration is my favorite RAM 1500’s because it has the highest payload capacity, low initial price and great mpg when not towing. If it won’t work, I’ll probably get the new Ford f150 2.7 Ecoboost instead. I’m not really interested in a Hemi or Ecodiesel because of the lower payload capacities.

I will be pulling on mostly flat ground and rolling hills; although I will occasionally encounter mountains.

I’m really hoping to hear from more people who have actually towed with the V6 Pentastar with 3.55 ratio. Can anyone recommend another section of this forum or another forum to possibly get more views from Pentastar owners?

Oh lort.
Sorry.
ok- the one pulling a 7900 pound fifth wheel with a 1500 V6- sorry- no comment.
I did not see on the video, how they pulled the 5500 pound up the hill- for me, the video showed a flat road- they can tell me everything- I'm a show me guy.
with the payload has nothing to do with the engine-configuration, it has to do which trim you have. Also if your first goal is to pull a trailer, then you will never exceed the tongue weight with a 22'. never. and you will still have enough left over to throw all the stuff in the bed you need. no matter which truck.
Also- 10mpg with the load they showed- well- it always depends- I am pretty sure, the Hemi would had pulled the same load with 13 or more mpg. I even get more with my camper and around 6500 pound- 12mpg.
you forget one thing- with a weaker motor you have to step on it more to reach the same power. means- the 25mpg they talking about are flat rolling in 8th gear with no wind from any side. I would say- 22 are more realistic. and there we are- I drive the hemi every day 75 miles and have a fuel mileage of 21mpg. 70mph cruise control.
then you talk about the 2.7 ecoboost (not even the 3.5 ecoboost). what you're trying to accomplish? I can tell you somebody who has the 2.7 ecoboost and he had a camper with around 6000 pound. he sold it and bought a RV because the truck couldn't pull it and he could not sell the truck because nobody wants a truck with a lawn mower engine.
I know sometimes money is a factor. In my case- I knew what I wanted, I knew what I needed and I knew how much money I had. neither configruration was fitting with the money part and I bought used with low miles.
You might pull what you want with it- but here I ask the question- how long until it breaks down?
I think you somewhat underestimate what a load of this size does to your vehicle over time.

And the reason, why nobody answers who has a V6 and experience with so much weight is, because nobody even considers it and never done it.
As I bought my 4.7 I was also thinking about fuel mileage, maintenance cost etc... - and now after 3 years I had it, I had to admit- this engine is too small to pull this much weight. the good part- a 4.7 can be sold. for a V6 you have to wait for somebody who really wants to have it. so, if you buy it, you might stuck with it.

That's the last thing I say to this topic:
weather you buy the V6 Dodge or the 2.7L ecoboost - I promise - even if you would never admit it- you will regret it.
At the end it's your money- and the guy who pays, is the guy who says.
If you don't believe people who pull for years camping trailers around, nobody can help you. do what ever you want to do and be happy with it. :favorites13:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Chris, I do want feedback from people who have towed with the vehicle. That's why I'm posting. And as I've already said, I'm leaning away from the Ram. But by calling the 2.7 ecoboost engine an underpowered lawn mower engine, you lose some credibility in my eyes. You say you are "show me guy". Please watch the following videos:

2.7 ecoboost towing the Ike Gauntlet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQGYJCG65E

2.7 ecoboost drag times (you can skip to the 2.7 at 5:15 if you want)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23O-hS-r0gQ

One of the best performing vehicles they've tested. I've driven it myself. Power in spades.

And yes engines effect payload capacity because of weight differences. For instance, the ecodiesel loses a few hundred pounds payload because of it's weight. The Hemi a loses 120 lbs payload too because of it's weight. Unfortunately, the Ram 1500's have the worst payload to start with :( Nice trucks otherwise though, which is why I'm even considering it.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the first thread i have seen the 4.7 in decent light... lol I have a 4.7 and i wouldn't pull over 6500-7000 lbs, and espeically if im going to the sierras, i wouldn't tow over 6250. Unless i tune it... If the engine build sheet says the truck can pull that much, it can saftley pull that much, may not get good fuel econ, may not be the fastest, but it will do it.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chris, I do want feedback from people who have towed with the vehicle. That's why I'm posting. And as I've already said, I'm leaning away from the Ram. But by calling the 2.7 ecoboost engine an underpowered lawn mower engine, you lose some credibility in my eyes. You say you are "show me guy". Please watch the following videos:

2.7 ecoboost towing the Ike Gauntlet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQGYJCG65E

2.7 ecoboost drag times (you can skip to the 2.7 at 5:15 if you want)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23O-hS-r0gQ

One of the best performing vehicles they've tested. I've driven it myself. Power in spades.

And yes engines effect payload capacity because of weight differences. For instance, the ecodiesel loses a few hundred pounds payload because of it's weight. The Hemi a loses 120 lbs payload too because of it's weight. Unfortunately, the Ram 1500's have the worst payload to start with :( Nice trucks otherwise though, which is why I'm even considering it.

just one question: did you ever towed anything?
I doubt it.
like I said- nobody would ever consider to pull 6000+ pound with a small engine line the V6 or the 2.7 ecoboost. If you would had said the 3.5 ecoboost, which actually supposed to pull pretty good, ok.
I see- you pounded in your head, that you want to pull a load, others choose the right engine for, with base model. I don't understand why- but you must have a reason. If you google and check in camping forums, everybody tells you there to stay at least 25-30% under max towing out of safety and wear and tear reasons. I personally know how 6500 pound feels like on the truck and I'm healed from buying the cheapest I can get. Paper and reality is a big difference. I would advise you, to pull the weight with either configuration- hemi, 3.5 ecoboost, 2.7 ecoboost and V6. you might figure out by your self. But if you know it better, well, you gotta know. And like I said- if you believe the ecoboost hype- my neighbor has the 3.5 ecoboost and can't get more than 17mpg out of it. it supposed to get 25.
If you talk about a few 100 pound pay load- come on- I know nobody who ever thought about it, when going on tour. and every truck will handle a 22' trailer plus extra stuff in the bed if you only look at the weight. 120 pounds is nothing. my 2 dogs weight that.
you are resistant against any advise. so buy what you want and be happy. but nothing worse if you find out after the first tour, that you bought the wrong truck. And I know, that I will never receive a "you was right" reply.

Last edited:

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just one question: did you ever towed anything?
I doubt it.
like I said- nobody would ever consider to pull 6000+ pound with a small engine line the V6 or the 2.7 ecoboost. If you would had said the 3.5 ecoboost, which actually supposed to pull pretty good, ok.
I see- you pounded in your head, that you want to pull a load, others choose the right engine for, with base model. I don't understand why- but you must have a reason. If you google and check in camping forums, everybody tells you there to stay at least 25-30% under max towing out of safety and wear and tear reasons. If you know it better, well, you gotta know. And like I said- if you believe the ecoboost hype- my neighbor has the 3.5 ecoboost and can't get more than 17mpg out of it. it supposed to get 25.
you are resistant against any advise. so buy what you want and be happy. And I know, that I will never receive a "you was right" reply.

The 2.7 is a like the energizer bunny from hell! It's a spunky engine that is comparable to the 5.3 Chevy vortec, and the Rams 4.7! It could pull the weight the OP wants, might bog down a bit but it will and can do it!

The Rams 3.6 vs is about the equivalent to the 4.6 ford in power perspective, I don't think they make that engine anymore but that's roughly the equivalent. the 4.7 is similar to the 5.3 and 2.7EB, and 3.5EB is similar to 5.7 Hemi and 6.0 vortec and 5.3 ecotec (Gm new 5.3 votec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
For anyone doubting the 2.7's power, please watch the videos I linked previously. For anyone doubting it's fuel efficiency, check Fuelly.com and compare to the Hemi. Also, the payload capacity is 500 lbs more than the Hemi in my preferred configuration.

The 2.7 has a tow capacity of 8,500 lbs in my preferred configuration. That's a big cushion over 6,200 lbs.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For anyone doubting the 2.7's power, please watch the videos I linked previously. For anyone doubting it's fuel efficiency, check Fuelly.com and compare to the Hemi. Also, the payload is more than 400 lbs more than the Hemi.

I don't I drove one, there faster than the 3.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For anyone doubting the 2.7's power, please watch the videos I linked previously. For anyone doubting it's fuel efficiency, check Fuelly.com and compare to the Hemi. Also, the payload capacity is 500 lbs more than the Hemi in my preferred configuration.

The 2.7 has a tow capacity of 8,500 lbs in my preferred configuration. That's a big cushion over 6,200 lbs.
Research how Ford comes to their payload #'s. A very interesting bit of reading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
i have the 3.6. Granted I've got a 4.5 inch lift and 34 inch tires by 11.3. This past summer I would do a lot of landscaping for extra cash. I had an 8 foot single axle trailer, 325lbs. A john deere D130 443lbs. 2 weed eaters one had the trim attachment 20lbs. a blower 3lbs. 10 gallons of gas 60lbs. a push mower 83lbs. 100lbs for my tool box loaded with crap and another 10lbs for extras. This equates to 1,044 lbs. I definitely felt it back there when pulling, MPG's went from around 20 down to the mid 17's. I honestly couldn't even imagine pulling 4000 with this truck. Just my experience

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
i have the 3.6. Granted I've got a 4.5 inch lift and 34 inch tires by 11.3. This past summer I would do a lot of landscaping for extra cash. I had an 8 foot single axle trailer, 325lbs. A john deere D130 443lbs. 2 weed eaters one had the trim attachment 20lbs. a blower 3lbs. 10 gallons of gas 60lbs. a push mower 83lbs. 100lbs for my tool box loaded with crap and another 10lbs for extras. This equates to 1,044 lbs. I definitely felt it back there when pulling, MPG's went from around 20 down to the mid 17's. I honestly couldn't even imagine pulling 4000 with this truck. Just my experience

Thanks. Do you know your transmission and gear ratio?

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't understand why one would chose the smallest engine from each manufacturer, can they pull, sure but the little motor is going to have to huff and puff while the larger motor will just breeze on down the road. The old saying comes to mind here, you get what you pay for.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any links?
Not off hand. Been a few months. C&D did a rundown, I think. Couple of lower tier truck mags. The gist was that Ford found things like bumpers, dashes, and spare tires (among other things) to be "optional equipment" on their test vehicles. Kinda made a stink in the truck world. Hopefully someone else chimes in with the exact publication.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."