Towing 6,200 lb travel trailer with 3.6 V6 Pentastar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't need to apologize since it's your second language. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it if you weren't being a **** to this guy.

I also apologize for this.
I know I was not nice- and I overthink my future posts. I will also not say anything anymore. If somebody don't believe it, try. some need to learn this way.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If somebody don't believe it, try. some need to learn this way.

experience is the best teacher. that's why I now own a 2015 2500 6.4, after owning a 2014 1500 5.7 for less than a year. lost several thousand $$ buying the correct truck on my second try. in my mid 40's and I'm still learning. Like I said, we all do it, we look for the answer we want, not the answer we need.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you all, I appreciate everyone’s posts and they have all been helpful. But just to clarify. Yes, I still hope for more posts that are “what I want to hear”. But what I want to hear is not “go for it dude, Pentastar will tow that load without safety or longevity issues”. What I want to hear is from people who have actually towed heavier loads with the Ram 1500 V6 Pentastar with tow package. I said that in the original post …”this post is to anyone with first hand towing experience with the Pentastar.”

In this whole 5 page thread there is only post that is really what I want to hear. That is Crusder99 on the first page. Not because it is the most positive review of the V6 Pentastar w 8/speed, but because he’s actually towed with the setup!

The other two V6 Pentastar posters drove a completely different vehicle, or had a huge lift kit. I appreciate their input, but they are not as useful as Crusder99’s post.

So if there are anymore Crusder99’s out there, please post! Especially someone who has towed 6,000+ lbs. If there are none, no big deal. I’m not really expecting it. The Ram 1500’s are really nice trucks, but for my personal needs I’ll most likely get the Ford f150 2.7 ecoboost.

I stopped at this post and will continue on once done here. There might be a reason for the lack of ("first hand knowledge") no???. Chris1965 reiterated my post of "using the right tool for the right job" and instead of getting the Pentastar which is the wrong tool for your proposed job now you want an Ecoboost for the wrong tool wrong job again. I am starting to think you are a fella that enjoys misery. Do you use a flathead screwdriver instead of a chisel when preparing a door for a lockset?:favorites13:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Chris, you win. You’ve obviously bought the best truck in the world for the best price. It’s also quite amazing how you have friends with bad experiences with the inferior trucks. …which are all other trucks. Your insightful posts have convinced me of your vast experience. I will disregard my own experiences, the reviews of the experts, and reviews from people with experience with said inferior trucks. Instead of buying the new ecoboost; I will buy a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ Hemi even though I will grossly exceed payload capacity. I know my truck will still not be as good as your truck, as I'll probably pick the wrong color, but it is still my only chance at getting the right vehicle for the job. Thank you. You were right. I am sorry for doubting you.

oh oh time to throw a tantrum unless you are a women and then it's a hissy fit. You talk about these "so called experts", so what they run truck up and down a hill and then the funny one is the 0-60 time and now they are experts. Come on dude/dudette really?:favorites13: Also in one of your first posts you were no going to put much in the bed, now it seems like you are loading the bed with everything including the kitchen sink. My last post because I am not going to bang my head on a wall to help out someone that does not need help. Happy motoring on down the road or stuck on the side whichever.

Last edited:

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your looking to tow 6500lbs worth of flying brick 26 times a year, why on earth are you even considering anything under a 2500? I don't care what brand it is.

I understand we all have monetary limits, perhaps it's not in the cards for you at the time to be buying a flying brick. A popular tent trailer is your best bet.

If you can't buy a bigger truck buy a smaller brick

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Just one more thing- don't ask, if you know you will not like the answer.

Who asked for your opinion on 2.7 ecoboost.

Hehe, I’m not mad, was just having fun with you in my last post. You can write whatever you want. No skin off my back.

And remember guys, always buy the biggest truck you can afford. Even if you don’t need a truck. Global warming is a myth. And big engines compensate for small ******* …as well as your Ram 1500’s tiny payload capacity. :crazy:

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Seriously, appreciate all the feedback. Best wishes. :favorites13:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your looking to tow 6500lbs worth of flying brick 26 times a year, why on earth are you even considering anything under a 2500? I don't care what brand it is.

I understand we all have monetary limits, perhaps it's not in the cards for you at the time to be buying a flying brick. A popular tent trailer is your best bet.

If you can't buy a bigger truck buy a smaller brick

agree whole heartedly

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Damn, beer made me smarter 19 posts too late. Yogi's a ******' troll, man. Just like his namesake with that pic-a-nik basket and that long-eared vertically challenged ******* out on Dagobah. Been had, we have. Played for fools, we were. ******' Jedi wannabe.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
beer has a way of makin' you smarter, better lookin' and fight like a champ. I'll have to admit, most of my posts on here are after my evening libation and are definitely very profound.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if beer makes people smarter or just a smart ass... :p

In any case, the OP asked a valid question, and all he got in return was people berating him for asking the question. A couple of points to keep things in perspective:

305 hp is not exactly underpowered. If you want to see underpowered look no further than the Ecodiesel which was by far the slowest half-ton in tfltruck's Ike Gauntlet. Nevermind 15 years ago the most powerful RAM 1500 had 300 hp. Will the Pentastar tow 6200# as good as a 390 hp Hemi ? Of course not, but that was not the question. Will it be faster than a loaded semi ? Absolutely.

tfltruck has been trying to come up with comparable towing tests, and if you sift through the data the different engines perform as (at least) I would expect. E.g. in the 0-60 towing test the V6 is about 30% slower than the Hemi which correlates to the power difference.

By the same token, if either truck is running 80-90% of max towing capacity they perform similar. And the Hemi ran at 5k+ RPM on the Ike Gauntlet, as a V6 would.

Payload is a valid concern: Playing with RAMs payload and towing site, the Hemi reduces payload by around 260#, while the Ecodiesel reduces it by 500#. At the same time towing capacity goes up with those engines, and tongue weight increases accordingly. And there are pimped out Hemis with payload in the 800# range. You see the operating envelope is getting squeezed here....

A 6200# brick is a 6200# brick. The GVWR (not the combined vehicle weight rating) is the same regardless of engine, and isn't much more than the weight of the trailer. The only thing that changes that is going to a 2500.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You didn't really just say the eco is under powered. The op got a few good comments, but they weren't good enough for him. He had to have his question answered exactly the way he worded it.

Blackram28376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I towed 45 bags of 80lb concrete on a single axle trailer with 1k lbs in gravel, and 10 80lb bags in the bed. The truck didnt scare me, the trailer did.

Trailer was a 6x10, about 700-900lbs, total weight was around 6400.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I towed 45 bags of 80lb concrete on a single axle trailer with 1k lbs in gravel, and 10 80lb bags in the bed. The truck didnt scare me, the trailer did.

And you didn't have the wind resistance , like you have with a camper. Huge difference,

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
[no sarcasim] Seriously, my very last post was not meant to be sarcastic. I do appreciate all the feedback and was only mildly frustrated with the topic getting off topic. I was trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to be funny in my previous two posts to Chris. No hard feelings. [/no sarcasim]

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?

Trailer scared you?

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just an FYI, my wifes 2015 Tacoma short bed 4x2 with the V6 has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. Which means, my trailer with 2 yards gravel, that I didn't want to repetitively tow with my 1500 Hemi, could have been hook up to her Tacoma. It can do it. It is rated for it. I think I have a new chore for the wife this weekend.....

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Just an FYI, my wifes 2015 Tacoma short bed 4x2 with the V6 has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. Which means, my trailer with 2 yards gravel, that I didn't want to repetitively tow with my 1500 Hemi, could have been hook up to her Tacoma. It can do it. It is rated for it. I think I have a new chore for the wife this weekend.....

hehe, ISWYDT.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." -Ramsay Bolton :crazy: