Towing 6,200 lb travel trailer with 3.6 V6 Pentastar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
I don't understand why one would chose the smallest engine from each manufacturer, can they pull, sure but the little motor is going to have to huff and puff while the larger motor will just breeze on down the road. The old saying comes to mind here, you get what you pay for.

I chose becuase of my circumstances, money, and lastly because I wanted too. I am very content with my engine and yes I got what I paid for and am happy about it

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
I don't understand why one would chose the smallest engine from each manufacturer, can they pull, sure but the little motor is going to have to huff and puff while the larger motor will just breeze on down the road. The old saying comes to mind here, you get what you pay for.

Should everyone who tows buy a Ram 5500? It's about buying the right tool for the job. It seems that the Pentastar isn't up to the task. The 2.7L ecoboost Ford looks more than up to the challenge. Of course there is mystery about the reliability, but that goes for any new model truck except for maybe a Tundra.

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Not off hand. Been a few months. C&D did a rundown, I think. Couple of lower tier truck mags. The gist was that Ford found things like bumpers, dashes, and spare tires (among other things) to be "optional equipment" on their test vehicles. Kinda made a stink in the truck world. Hopefully someone else chimes in with the exact publication.

Thanks. I heard about issues a few years ago. Didn't hear any problems about the 2015s. If you find anything, please let me know.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
like I said- nobody would ever consider to pull 6000+ pound with a small engine line the V6 or the 2.7 ecoboost.

Not to get too deeply into this, but if you head over to any one of the F150 forums and several RV forums, I am sure there are plenty of those who are actually doing it that would disagree with you. The 2.7l EB puts down as much as the old 5.4l. It's a snotty little engine.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this is a question of which will tow that camper better, a pentastar ram 1500 or a 2.7l ecoboost F150, it isn't even a question.

That 2.7l will tow better hands down.

It won't be close.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should everyone who tows buy a Ram 5500? It's about buying the right tool for the job. It seems that the Pentastar isn't up to the task. The 2.7L ecoboost Ford looks more than up to the challenge. Of course there is mystery about the reliability, but that goes for any new model truck except for maybe a Tundra.

Your truck can pull it, just wont be as easy as a hemi, clearly. Your going to be what, 1000-1500lbs less than its rated for? Your going to feel it, the 3.6 isnt a towing rig, but it will do small lifestyle tow jobs :naughty: are you going to pull it every weekend, or once and a while, once in awhile wont self destruct your truck

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So read through this entire thread. majority of the opinion seems to be that the pentastar will do it, not well, but will do it. It's human nature to keep looking, keep asking until we find the answer we want, not the answer that seems most appropriate. I do it, you do it, we all do it. So I'm not even going to try to convince the OP of the same thing most have already posted.

I will share my experience with my 1500 5.7 hemi with a 3.55 6 speed. I used it to tow 2 yards of gravel in a 1600 lb trailer over flat roads. So I'd estimate the load to be around 6000 lbs. Without getting into the merits/downfalls lighter chassis compared to my 2500, the 1500 got the actual towing done. It worked hard at times getting that weight moving. I'd say it was less than happy doing it. I did that task about 8 - 10 times over a year. I couldn't imagine doing that on a more regular basis without having an anxiety attack and apologizing to the poor truck out loud as I drove. It may have been better if it was an 8 speed. Don't know for sure but there seems to be plenty doing similar weight with their 8 speed hemis and having no issues.

Ram web site lists the GCVW at about 10000 lbs for the hemi with no mention of transmission type. It lists the pentastar at about 7000 lbs. Never having driven a pentastar, I couldn't imagine towing the same 6000lbs on a regular basis even if it had an 8 speed. Obviously it's pure speculation on my part.

EDIT: that should be towing capacity, not GCVW.

Last edited:

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

you answered the question yourself. "the right tool for the job".
you are overconcerned about the payload. if you look, what some chars, tables, floats and other stuff weights, when you put it in the bed- I can tell you- it would not make ANY difference. You will not even notice it- no matter if you have a V6, a Ecoboost or a Hemi. Except you plan to carry 20 bags of play sand for the kids with you.
The problem is the weight of your camper. You want to pull something, what is just 1000 lbs below your max. Even here in the forum are many pulling this kind of weight and more and they have hemi's and 4wd with "lower" payload. I don't know anybody who ever complained about it because even if you're 100 pound over- who cares?
I understand if money is the problem. Who don't have this handicap?
I also understand, like said, that you ask, until you hear what you want to hear. what you try to do? finding somebody, who says: hey- great Idea- yes- it works great- do it?
Ain't gonna happen. The same with the 2.7 Ecoboost. Say what you want- but it has similar tow rating. AND I can tell you, because I know people who have them- 2.7 and 3.5 EB- they hate it because the promised gas mileage is no where near reality. My neighbor can't get 17mpg out of it- and he is retired and drives 2x a week 100miles to Atlanta for some treatment he has to do. Also my camping buddy who has the 2.7. he got stuck on a camp ground, as it went up the hill and around a tight curve- the truck was not going nowhere and I had to pull him around. The engine did not even rev up no more. and he had a camper with the weight you want to pull. right after this trip, he tried to sell the truck to get a bigger one and he could not sell it. nobody even answered the add in craigs list. so he sold the camper and bought an RV.
If you go to camp forums- the guys with the 2.7 don't pull 6000+ campers- they pull pop ups or feather lights with max 4000 pound. Also- if the truck in the video is already down to 10mpg with 5000 pound- guess what happens with 6000+?
I mean- just think and consider to buy a used truck- it's not a shame and at the end you get more for the money. Also - you have the possibility to find one with the tow package, where the trailer brake controller is already installed. I can tell you- the Hemi will get 21 mpg with 8 speed and 3.92 ratio. the ecoboost- well- if you don't want to be the pace car on the highway can't beat it. neither one- not 3.5 and not 2.7.
But you have to make your own experience. and brace yourself, when everybody on the camp ground shakes the head over your tow-combination. The good part- they all friendly and will pull you out.
Another aspect- just forgot- if you ever got stuck on a gravel lot on the camp ground, because you have no 4wd, you wish, you would have set the priorities in a complete different direction.
My truck and my camper are used- otherwise we couldn't afford it. but therefore we was able to buy the right tool for the job! nowadays 20-40k miles are nothing to an engine. but it drops the price for a truck $10000 and more. Same with the camper- 2 years and you just pay half of the price.

Yeah- and if it's your wife, who needs the arguments, just to let you buy A truck, let her read camping sites and let her watch on youtube the videos to the topic. I watched 100ets before I choose vehicle, trailer and needed equipment. Nothing is as easy how it looks like when you watch others, doing it for years. Even I learn on every trip something new.

I know I can't change your mind- but I wish you would read all posts without judging and read, what people say. and then think and put yourself in mind into the situation to sit on the 2-lane highway, up the hill with 40mph and the transfer trucks flying around you and blow the horns out because of you. This is, what's gonna happen. Yeah I know- some people enjoy it and think they playing hard working truckdriver. No...it's just annoying for everybody else.

Last edited:

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have the pentastar, I have the 5.7 hemi in 2015 bighorn CC. The payload is rated at 1700lbs and the GCVW is 13800lbs and the Max towing is rated at 8300lbs because I have the 3.21 gears. I just purchased a TT that had a dry weight of 6100 lbs and a gvw of 7600 lbs. I pulled it from the pan handle of FL back to the Rio Grande Vally of Texas. The hemi was strong and I was able to keep my speed steady in the rolling hills of the pan handle and going up the bridge at Baton Rouge and in Lake Charles LA. I could pass if I needed to with power left over but I would not want to try to pull a TT that is almost the same weight as my dry weight with a v6.

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Thank you all, I appreciate everyone’s posts and they have all been helpful. But just to clarify. Yes, I still hope for more posts that are “what I want to hear”. But what I want to hear is not “go for it dude, Pentastar will tow that load without safety or longevity issues”. What I want to hear is from people who have actually towed heavier loads with the Ram 1500 V6 Pentastar with tow package. I said that in the original post …”this post is to anyone with first hand towing experience with the Pentastar.”

In this whole 5 page thread there is only post that is really what I want to hear. That is Crusder99 on the first page. Not because it is the most positive review of the V6 Pentastar w 8/speed, but because he’s actually towed with the setup!

The other two V6 Pentastar posters drove a completely different vehicle, or had a huge lift kit. I appreciate their input, but they are not as useful as Crusder99’s post.

So if there are anymore Crusder99’s out there, please post! Especially someone who has towed 6,000+ lbs. If there are none, no big deal. I’m not really expecting it. The Ram 1500’s are really nice trucks, but for my personal needs I’ll most likely get the Ford f150 2.7 ecoboost.

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Chris1965,

The Ram 1500 w/ Hemi is a great truck. I really like it. But I don't think you watched the correct video on the 2.7 ecoboost. Please watch this video where TFL Truck tows 7,000 lbs+ up the Ike Gauntlet in record time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQGYJCG65E

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yogiyoda- you will not convince me. you can watch videos as much as you want. I doubt you ever had a truck neither you towed anything in your life. watching videos and listen to some jerks trying to tear their stuff up, does not make you an expert. Experience does.
you talk about the right tool- well- the truck is not getting better, just you talk yourself into it. you will see for your self, when you're scared to death because the transfer trucks getting mad at you. and everybody else on the road too.
People here telling you, that 7000# for a hemi is already a lot. and you want to pull 6000# with 2 numbers smaller. I don't know what you try to proof. It ain't getting better, just because you talk yourself into it. The 2.7 EB and the V6 RAM are the wrong vehicles for the job you want to do. I told you- I pulled my camping buddy out as he got stuck because the truck couldn't handle exactly the weight you want to pull. A lot of camp ground are gravel and very often you got to pull from the stand on gravel up the hill. I and all others with experience can tell you and you still don't believe it.
I paid for a 2 year old hemi Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.4' bed, tow package and 3.92 rear and 40k miles 26k. and for this, you can't even get a base model Ford with 2.7 EB and maybe a new base model RAM with V6. I have a 40+K truck and can pull what I have and I am flexible when I look for another camper next year. If you buy want you have in mind, you're whistle already out of the last hole. I'm not talking about buying a Ram 3500 Dually. I'm talking about the right engine. and what you want, ain't working.

OP
OP
Y

yogiyoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Yogiyoda- you will not convince me. you can watch videos as much as you want. I doubt you ever had a truck neither you towed anything in your life. watching videos and listen to some jerks trying to tear their stuff up, does not make you an expert. Experience does.
you talk about the right tool- well- the truck is not getting better, just you talk yourself into it. you will see for your self, when you're scared to death because the transfer trucks getting mad at you. and everybody else on the road too.
People here telling you, that 7000# for a hemi is already a lot. and you want to pull 6000# with 2 numbers smaller. I don't know what you try to proof. It ain't getting better, just because you talk yourself into it. The 2.7 EB and the V6 RAM are the wrong vehicles for the job you want to do. I told you- I pulled my camping buddy out as he got stuck because the truck couldn't handle exactly the weight you want to pull. A lot of camp ground are gravel and very often you got to pull from the stand on gravel up the hill. I and all others with experience can tell you and you still don't believe it.
I paid for a 2 year old hemi Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.4' bed, tow package and 3.92 rear and 40k miles 26k. and for this, you can't even get a base model Ford with 2.7 EB and maybe a new base model RAM with V6. I have a 40+K truck and can pull what I have and I am flexible when I look for another camper next year. If you buy want you have in mind, you're whistle already out of the last hole. I'm not talking about buying a Ram 3500 Dually. I'm talking about the right engine. and what you want, ain't working.

Chris, you win. You’ve obviously bought the best truck in the world for the best price. It’s also quite amazing how you have friends with bad experiences with the inferior trucks. …which are all other trucks. Your insightful posts have convinced me of your vast experience. I will disregard my own experiences, the reviews of the experts, and reviews from people with experience with said inferior trucks. Instead of buying the new ecoboost; I will buy a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ Hemi even though I will grossly exceed payload capacity. I know my truck will still not be as good as your truck, as I'll probably pick the wrong color, but it is still my only chance at getting the right vehicle for the job. Thank you. You were right. I am sorry for doubting you.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yogi- you don't have to get smart with me.
and I don't know any experts- and also haven't read of experts saying, that it's a good Idea to pull 6000+# with a truck what can tow just 7000#.
I am sorry that I took the time to at least make you rethink before wasting your money.
I did not say, that I have the best truck, I said that only that you see, what you get for your money.
If you think you got to do it anyway- and btw I was not the only one telling you, that the Idea is a bad Idea- then do it.
One day- when you have some camping and towing experience and also met people and everybody helped each other out every once in a while, you will see- you will make the same experience like every one of the ones who had to learn the hard way.
I doubt that you have any towing experience and I doubt that you even know what you are talking about- because all you talk about is paper data.
That's ok.
do your thin and be done with.
Just one more thing- don't ask, if you know you will not like the answer.

have a nice day.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And fwiw that Eco is hauling an aerodynamic vehicle on an open trailer, not a 22' 6k+ wind catcher. Apples and gorillas again. Ain't no comparin'.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Cleave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yogi- you don't have to get smart with me.
and I don't know any experts- and also haven't read of experts saying, that it's a good Idea to pull 6000+# with a truck what can tow just 7000#.
I am sorry that I took the time to at least make you rethink before wasting your money.
I did not say, that I have the best truck, I said that only that you see, what you get for your money.
If you think you got to do it anyway- and btw I was not the only one telling you, that the Idea is a bad Idea- then do it.
One day- when you have some camping and towing experience and also met people and everybody helped each other out every once in a while, you will see- you will make the same experience like every one of the ones who had to learn the hard way.
I doubt that you have any towing experience and I doubt that you even know what you are talking about- because all you talk about is paper data.
That's ok.
do your thin and be done with.
Just one more thing- don't ask, if you know you will not like the answer.

have a nice day.

1. Grammar and formatting, ffs.
2. You're kind of a **** constantly telling this guy who you've never met that he hasn't towed anything and doesn't know what he's doing.

And finally....

3. You're probably right that he would be better served buying a 1 or 2 year old low mileage Hemi

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Grammar and formatting, ffs.
2. You're kind of a **** constantly telling this guy who you've never met that he hasn't towed anything and doesn't know what he's doing.

And finally....

3. You're probably right that he would be better served buying a 1 or 2 year old low mileage Hemi

1. I apologize for my grammar- English is my second language. but I'm learning

2. If he would had towed anything ever, he would know what people talking about- and not only refer to paper data.

3. Thanks.

Cleave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I apologize for my grammar- English is my second language. but I'm learning

2. If he would had towed anything ever, he would know what people talking about- and not only refer to paper data.

3. Thanks.

Don't need to apologize since it's your second language. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it if you weren't being a **** to this guy.