Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evanj5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge RAM v6 quad cab sxt
Engine
v6 3.7
Sooooo I have been looking at boats lately.....I currently have a 07 RAM 1500 3.7v6 max trailer cap is I think 3500lbs. I have been looking an 18ft pontoon boat weight is 3349....+trailer is 2500lbs... I have a shift kit and a heavy duty trans cooler....any thoughts on wheather I could get away with pulling it?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MattHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Would like to know too if your truck will capable at that weight.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is so weird how the towing limits on these trucks are so close to those of small SUVs. For example a jeep wrangler (depending on model) is 2,000, are we honestly supposed to believe that a full sized pickup truck can only tow 1,500 more pounds?

In Europe, cars often have tow limits as high as our half-tons...

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That full size pickup has a baby motor in it. To me, full size means V-8, not V-6. The truck can tow it, the motor can't.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you live in a flat area I think you could get by. But I don't tow with my ram lol

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is so weird how the towing limits on these trucks are so close to those of small SUVs. For example a jeep wrangler (depending on model) is 2,000, are we honestly supposed to believe that a full sized pickup truck can only tow 1,500 more pounds?

In Europe, cars often have tow limits as high as our half-tons...

Were talking about a full size truck with a 3.7L v6 here. That Jeep Wrangler has probably close to the same size motor and weighs half as much.

A 5.7 with the tow package will tow 10k lbs. Now you've got an 8k lb difference...

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you guys are missing my point. In Europe (and many other nations) towing limits are WAY different with the same vehicles. For example, on this site, the towing limit for a manual Honda Civic is 1000 kg (2,200 lbs), are we saying that the little 1.8 motor is as strong as the wrangler's V6?

Honda towing weights | AA New Zealand

Here the Jeep Wrangler tow limit is 2,000 kg (4,400 lbs), this is DOUBLE the US towing limit.

Jeep towing weights | AA New Zealand

The low speed on a highway is not the speed limit, it is acceptable to go into the slow lane. The only fear is that the engine isn't strong enough to maintain 40 mph (or whatever the highway minimum is) going uphill.

OP
OP
evanj5

evanj5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge RAM v6 quad cab sxt
Engine
v6 3.7
Update....my will pull a 18ft bass boat with no issues....the pontoon is out of the question

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you guys are missing my point. In Europe (and many other nations) towing limits are WAY different with the same vehicles. For example, on this site, the towing limit for a manual Honda Civic is 1000 kg (2,200 lbs), are we saying that the little 1.8 motor is as strong as the wrangler's V6?

Honda towing weights | AA New Zealand

Here the Jeep Wrangler tow limit is 2,000 kg (4,400 lbs), this is DOUBLE the US towing limit.

Jeep towing weights | AA New Zealand

The low speed on a highway is not the speed limit, it is acceptable to go into the slow lane. The only fear is that the engine isn't strong enough to maintain 40 mph (or whatever the highway minimum is) going uphill.

There are different safety standards in different countries. If they wanna go by those numbers that's fine, I for one don't want to be on the roads with some ******* in a 1.8 Honda Civic pulling an entire ******* skid of wood pellets behind it. That car towing 2200lbs is ********. Over here they have safer ratings.

Keep in mind the ratings have really nothing to do with physical pulling power of the vehicle. It's a combination of that, braking, handling, suspension, driveline components, frame etc. that determines a pulling capacity. So saying that a wrangler with a v6 isn't as strong as a 1.8 civic in New Zealand because of their tow ratings isn't accurate. The wrangler WILL pull more than that civic. We just have realistic ratings that keep jackasses in economy cars from pulling full size sedans on car trailers.

Last edited:

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Towing is something not to be taken lightly (no pun intended) I've towed many times up and down the Highway 5 and up the Grapevine many times and have seen some scary stuff going over and down that huge hill simply because of people neglect.

With my 03' TJ wrangler with an inline 6 and 3.73 gears, manual tranny - the towing capacity of that vehicle is 2K lbs. You CAN pull a 2200lbs trailer behind you, but I DO NOT recommend it. As mentioned above, towing has to do with the weight of your vehicle, wheelbase, drivetrain, gearing, etc.
With my Hemi V8, I don't even feel that trailer back there!!

With your truck and a V6, I would NOT recommend you towing a huge pontoon boat of that sheer mass even with electric brakes on the trailer.
It's not only your life at stake where talking about my friend. Be safe.

-Sam.