Trailer wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys this is more geared towards my trailer then the truck but hopefully somebody can help. Ive got an 18' car flat deck car hauler and i wanna mount a winch to it. Ive got a tool box that ill be putting the battery in. Question is how do i go about hooking up this battery so it carges from the aux wire from trailer wiring. Trailer already has a small battery on it for the break away trailer brakes. Can i just go from it? Or remove that one and transfer wiring to the larger battery? Other option?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Winches draw a lot of current from the battery. The current provided by the 7-pin will maintain a charged battery if using the lights while pulling, but that's about it. It's not meant for high amperage draws.

You're going to need a 120v converter/charger to get that battery charged back up properly after using your winch. I have this 60 Amp unit from Progressive Dynamics in my enclosed car hauler and it works very well. I also hook up an inverter generator while using the winch if I'm pulling something heavy and I'm not near a plugin. I have a small solar panel hooked up to it when not in use.

Here is some great info talking about a situation similar to yours.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have the same trailer setup and agree with Rampant's answer but I do the same thing a bit differently. First off, I keep the breakaway battery and my winch battery charged through the 7-pin while drving. I come off the charge connector to a dual battery isolator and feed each leg to each battery. I don't remember the part number but I bought it off of eTrailer.

Once I get to the point of dragging something up onto the trailer, I unhook the 7-pin (to keep from blowing fuses) and connect the winch/battery up to a winch "rear bumper power kit" that I had a local 4x4 shop build and install. Basically two #2 welding cables coming from the vehicle's battery connections going through a 150 amp breaker back to the rear bumper. The cables terminate to an Anderson 300-amp power pole connector.

Any of the big winch manufacturers make the rear bumper wiring harness. You could look them up and buy one from them. I just have friends at the 4x4 shop and built my harness cheaper than a manufactured one.

I set the engine on fast idle, winch the load up on the trailer, then unplug the Anderson and re-plug the 7-pin. Nothing external to the truck/trailer needed, no 12-volt to 120-volt to 12-volt conversions/converters/chargers needed. You have a good alternator on your truck. Use what you have!

Oh, and I -occasionally- will pull up a car on my trailer. Usually it's shipping containers full of TV tower "stuff".