Transmission filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgnr873117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey there all.. when I change out my filter this wknd.on my 06 1500 4.7 ram . i see some people use a traditional gasket and some use a gasket from a tube.. any suggestions or preference to either??

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey there all.. when I change out my filter this wknd.on my 06 1500 4.7 ram . i see some people use a traditional gasket and some use a gasket from a tube.. any suggestions or preference to either??

The 545RFE is designed to use ATF/RTV for the transmission pan. The gaskets made for these things are prone to leak.

Clean the pan rail off and remove all of the old RTV but do not remove the black powder coating from the pan rail.

When you apply the ATF/RTV to the pan, use a 3/16" wide bead from the top of the tube. Anything more than a ¼" bead will just press outwards and create a mess when torquing the pan bolts.

Don't worry about the trans fluid dripping from the rear of the trans when installing the pan. ATF/RTV is designed to seal even when it gets wet with transmission fluid.

Also, make sure you change both the sump filter and the spin-on oil filter during the service.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
RTV if you're reinstalling your stock pan; if you're gonna use an aftermarket pan most come with a gasket designed for them. Like he said with the filters, but make damn sure you get the old seal out for the suction filter (big flat one) and the new seal properly seated. This is where most DIY'ers and some shops screw up.

OP
OP
D

Dgnr873117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the heads up on the filters,, do they all have the screw on filter ...I got a gen 3 ram 1500.. not sure if that helps at all

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the heads up on the filters,, do they all have the screw on filter ...I got a gen 3 ram 1500.. not sure if that helps at all

All RFE's have TWO filters. You have a suction filter:

mop-05013470ae_sx_xl.jpg

Note the seal I referred to earlier
And a return filter:

72013A.jpg

When you get a kit it will (or at least should) have both filters.