Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajbias490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone new to the forum. My brother and I installed a used transmission(80,000 miles) in my father in laws 2009 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Changed the filter and fluid on the used transmission before install. It drives good and shifts through all the gears good except from 3rd to 4th it has a hesitation. It will be in 3rd then it feels like you hit the brakes for a few seconds then shifts to 4th and is fine. Also when in 4th and you give it more gas it hesitates to down shift to 3rd. Does anyone know if it needs to have a relearn performed from the dealer? We were hoping it would relearn the shift points by driving it but it hasn’t got better yet. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does it do it in tow haul?

I'd go through the valve body anyhow, could only benefit you going forward.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There are a few kits out there, get one with pistons and rings and springs.

You have to decide between gasket or plate. Gasket might help if it is barely warped, but if it is warped you need a new valve body and mise well get a plate. 2009 shiny aluminum valve bodies just don't have a long life span.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aj, my '11 has 47,000 miles. Original transmission. It works perfectly except for one annoying aspect. If you're cruising around town, let's say, my truck upshifts too soon. 4th gear is usually the culprit. Like you say, it doesn't want to downshift from 4th to 3rd on the gas petal alone. It's like the truck has to think about it a while.

I asked HemiFever for a modification to my tune to rectify that, but the new tune hasn't cured it. My truck has the Slap Stick, and using that, is the way around the 4th gear non-downshift. Here again, and I could be all wrong, is an example of FCA going overboard to squeeze an extra 1/10 of an mpg out of these trucks.