Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
So today the trusty ram hit 200k, what a wonderful milestone! Unfortunately it decided to blow the water pump and forget how to shift into overdrive... The water pump is easy enough as i already have the parts and the know how to get it done but, the trans is what in afraid of. What can i do to get it to shift into overdrive? Do i need to adjust something or do a trans service, I dont have the funds to replace the transmission at this point in time because im between jobs. I need all the help i can get here and i really appreciate it! :favorites13: Cheers

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Need more info. Any other shifting problems? Any CELs?

The CEL is on, its shifting perfectly fine but when i let off the gas the RPMs drop like a rock and the gauge jumps down. The same happens to the speedometer. No slipping or grinding at this point in time.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Can you get the code pulled? Sounds to be an electronic issue.

Im going to replace the water pump this weekend, after that ill get the codes checked. I'm really hoping a sensor went bad and i don't need to worry about much else.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pull codes with key trick. OFF to ON without starting, 3 times within 5 seconds. Will read codes on odometer if you have digital. I'm on my phone so it doesn't show your year so i can't tell if you have digital

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Pull codes with key trick. OFF to ON without starting, 3 times within 5 seconds. Will read codes on odometer if you have digital. I'm on my phone so it doesn't show your year so i can't tell if you have digital
You can tap the name and it will show their stats, he's got 01 5.2. This is really your area of expertise anyway, not mine.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318

Thats a thing?

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
yessir

Edit: may not work the 1st time. Might take a couple tries.

I just told my friend about this, he owns a 98. Will it work on his so he knows for future reference?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I just told my friend about this, he owns a 98. Will it work on his so he knows for future reference?

Will work on all 94-02 2nd gen body styles and some early 3rd gens I think. 94-95/early 96 will flash the engine light in a sequence. 97 I can't remember, 98+ with digital odometer reads it to you.

NOW GET THOSE CODES! :roflsquared:

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Will work on all 94-02 2nd gen body styles and some early 3rd gens I think. 94-95/early 96 will flash the engine light in a sequence. 97 I can't remember, 98+ with digital odometer reads it to you.

NOW GET THOSE CODES! :roflsquared:

So today i fixed the water pump and i disconnected the battery just to play it safe. The CEL was reset so im not sure if it was on for the water pump or the transmission sensors. also i tried the trick is it didnt work for me, If the light comes back on ill come back to this post after getting it scanned and see what sites have the necessary parts for less