transmission trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dansmith4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I need some help please. I have an 01 dodge ram 2500 I bought it off a guy and he said reverse was gone. He said the tranny lines were bad so he had a local tranny shop but new lines on it. He said he picked it up and on his way home he heard a loud noise. And that he pulled over and thought it was the transfer case. Thats all fine he said it didnt have reverse. I drove the truck probably 25-30 miles home. I was driving with cruise on 65 went up a little hill, it downshifted and up shifted fine the first time. Then it started to make noise while shifting and the overdrive light wouldnt come on anymore. so I shut cruise off and drove the rest of the way home fine just hearing minor howling sound which i think might be my rear diff is low on fluid but im not to concerned about that part right now. I got ready to get off my exit and it acted like it wanted to stallout I got ready to turn on to the main road I live on it made a grinding sound and then slammed into gear. I got home which was like 2.5 miles from the exit. I let it sit and cool down for about fifteen minutes and now I have reverse. I havent tried to diagnose it yet or anything. I was gonna start with a fluid and filler change first but some people tell me it could be the overdrive lock ring. Or a broken spring behind one of the servos. Or even bad sensors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't feel like spending money on a rebuild if I didn't have to. thanks

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Given your description and symptoms I'm 100% certain your in for a rebuild. Direct drum or pump are my first thoughts but with transmissions you really have to tear them down to be certain with a problem like this

OP
OP
D

dansmith4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea, i was thinking the pump too. but the fluid barely smells burnt and isnt really all that dark in color.

2000Confederate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
You know how rams are, every 100,000 miles, you're going to need to make that tranny investment. I lost reverse in my 2000 ram about 3 months ago. You need to either dump that trans or get it rebuilt. I would recommend getting it rebuilt as mine no longer slips (it used to) and of course has reverse. It will probably run you around $2500, however my friend owns a shop and I was able to get it done for about $1800. As far as the cruise control problem goes, I'm sure the trans slipped while it was in cruise control, and this is why you couldn't use it the rest of way home.

Cheers! :favorites13:

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn $2500? You're getting close to a Viper trans at that cost, for a stock rebuild you can find them around $1000 here in Texas