Tripod Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Mopar has a bearing supplier(s). Does anyone know who it is? I want to repair a cv axle (inner end) and I'm not going to stop until I find a bearing. Mopar has responded saying "bearing is not serviced separately. It is only available with the shaft". I asked why these bearings were available for other vehicles and I got "that is up to the supplier who makes the part. They do not give us reasons why."

Makes no sense whatsoever to buy a whole darn shaft when a 20.00 bearing goes south. (Long story how this happened and I know the outer end is fine. Truck only had 2k miles on it when this happened.)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mopar has a bearing supplier(s). Does anyone know who it is? I want to repair a cv axle (inner end) and I'm not going to stop until I find a bearing. Mopar has responded saying "bearing is not serviced separately. It is only available with the shaft". I asked why these bearings were available for other vehicles and I got "that is up to the supplier who makes the part. They do not give us reasons why."

Makes no sense whatsoever to buy a whole darn shaft when a 20.00 bearing goes south. (Long story how this happened and I know the outer end is fine. Truck only had 2k miles on it when this happened.)

Well when you find the bearings seperate,make sure you post the info for everybody else.Me i'd just go buy an axle and use the original as the core,lol.Start by tracking down the guys who supply rebuilt CV's and see where they get the bearings from

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL. Try finding a passenger side intermediate/stub shaft for a 1500. While the driver side stub shaft is readily available, to get the passenger side, you have to get the entire front differential assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Did you remove it yet? Bearings will usually have part # on them. If not, be careful not to destroy it and take it to a bearing place and they will measure it and find a match.

OP
OP
Dieselhorses

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Well when you find the bearings seperate,make sure you post the info for everybody else.Me i'd just go buy an axle and use the original as the core,lol.Start by tracking down the guys who supply rebuilt CV's and see where they get the bearings from

:waytogo:

OP
OP
Dieselhorses

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Did you remove it yet? Bearings will usually have part # on them. If not, be careful not to destroy it and take it to a bearing place and they will measure it and find a match.

Makes sense. I'll look. I already have boots/clamps. The OEM I replaced is a FEQ and its already got about an eight inch play, driver side OEM no play. I haven't even used 4x4 yet.

OP
OP
Dieselhorses

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
LOL. Try finding a passenger side intermediate/stub shaft for a 1500. While the driver side stub shaft is readily available, to get the passenger side, you have to get the entire front differential assembly.

No you don't, in my quest for the stupid bearing I ran into at least 10 websites who had both shafts right over 100.00

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you are referring to the axle shaft assemblies.
I’m talking about the stub/intermediate shaft(s). The ones that connect the differential to the CV shafts.
This is the drivers side.
d1c3a5d4eaa0e03dbc6faf5fea479655.jpg

The passenger side is two pieces, and requires disassembly of the dif/CAD just to get to it.
Maybe things have changed since I last looked for one; but at that time, I only ever found mention of one possible source for the passenger side shaft(think it was some place in Canada).

OP
OP
Dieselhorses

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. I’ll have to research this more when I have something other than my phone available.
Back when I was actively looking(6 months to a year ago), I couldn’t find this anywhere online, and I had multiple dealership service departments tell me that the only way to get the shaft, was to get the whole front dif assembly.

OP
OP
Dieselhorses

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
No you don't, in my quest for the stupid bearing I ran into at least 10 websites who had both shafts right over 100.00
Interesting. I’ll have to research this more when I have something other than my phone available.
Back when I was actively looking(6 months to a year ago), I couldn’t find this anywhere online, and I had multiple dealership service departments tell me that the only way to get the shaft, was to get the whole front dif assembly.

I think it's a sales pitch. There's always a way around it. That's why I know I'll be able to find just the bearing I need. It's a totally separate component that just slips on shaft and held on by a clip.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's a sales pitch. There's always a way around it. That's why I know I'll be able to find just the bearing I need. It's a totally separate component that just slips on shaft and held on by a clip.

I worked at a local bearing house for years and we could get just about any bearing you could come up with from our suppliers. It just takes the bearing, a micrometer, and the bearing bible..... which lists bearings for everything from a battleship to a RC car in it.

OP
OP
Dieselhorses

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
I worked at a local bearing house for years and we could get just about any bearing you could come up with from our suppliers. It just takes the bearing, a micrometer, and the bearing bible..... which lists bearings for everything from a battleship to a RC car in it.

Putting you on speed dial Stimpy! TY

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo