Truck can't be programmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Been awhile since I posted here but need some advice from the techs or other avenues.

2013 4x4 CC sport with convince pckg. 8.4 NAV

Back story: Last year I had problems with my key fobs not working. The dealership couldn't trouble shoot and told me to try later when more parts are available.

I took in the truck on 6th of June, at 55K. the dealership said they would still cover under warranty since it was an existing problem. They still can't fit the issue and now they can't get the truck to run at all.

I'm worried as I am retiring from the military and have to be out of town by the end of the month as I am moving from CA to FL and towing a 7,000lb trailer.

Any Advice here?

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like FCA should give you a loaner truck and ship yours to florida after its fixed.

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
I would agree with that, just polling the folks here to have some ammo when it comes Monday and i talk with their service manager.

Sounds like FCA should give you a loaner truck and ship yours to florida after its fixed.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ask them how long it will take for them to open a factory technical assistance case with FCA to get some help on the issue.

Let them work it but let them know you have the pending move so they know what their deadline is.

And deal with the service manager on this one.

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
They told me last week they opened a STAR case w/ ram. and their suggestions weren't working.

I have been very patient and respectful. They are aware of my upcoming move, and retirement form military service. I'll know more Monday or Tuesday. They have been a great dealership so far, and I'm sure they will have an answer when we come to that point.

Truck was running when I dropped it off on July 6th. The main problem was the truck would not always sense the key fob, and I would have to open the door using the key, press the fob on the start button. Now they can't get any key fob programmed to the truck that won't loose the code after the truck sits for awhile. Not even pressing the FOB on the start button will work.
Ask them how long it will take for them to open a factory technical assistance case with FCA to get some help on the issue.

Let them work it but let them know you have the pending move so they know what their deadline is.

And deal with the service manager on this one.

Last edited:

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the issue with the truck? What's not working? Has anything been replaced? I'm a technician for dodge. Maybe I can give you some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Jotin thanks for your help.

The key Fob with the convince pckg would work some if the time, this included; not unlocking when putting your hand in the door handle driver/passenger side, push button start not working, remote start not working, having to press the buttons on the FOB multiple times to unlock the vehicle, and having to press the FOB on the start button to start the vehicle.

I replaced the FOBs w/new batteries, but the problem got worse over time, and i had to resort to using the key to unlock the vehicle, and press the FOB on the push button start to start the truck.

The dealership has replaced FOBs along w/other parts shown in the attached picture. Things will work but once the truck sits for a period of time the New or old key FOBs won't unlock or even start the truck now, not even when the FOB is pressed on the push to start button.

See attached photo for work performed, All was good when the dealership told me the truck was fixed but when i showed up they couldn't get the truck to start again.

What is the issue with the truck? What's not working? Has anything been replaced? I'm a technician for dodge. Maybe I can give you some insight.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 82

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like they didn't replace the WIN module/ignition switch? That's has been a failure mode with Jeep GCs of that era especially when the FOB chip is not detected when you press the start switch with it. Pretty straightforward to change, but everything dealing with locks and starts needs to be reprogramed.

Being a competent service department, I would expect they would have checked that, just asking.

If it just won't start, a flakey TIPM could give you intermittent start issues. All those security modules tell the TIPM to start things up, and sometimes it just doesn't want to.

Last edited:

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe on this vehicle they are equipped with a radio frequency hub or RFH hub, it's the replacement to the win. The KIN is basically the push button itself, I've replaced one 1 of those in the years we've had hem and multiple RFH hubs. that's actually what I would have started with. A flaky tipm could give your intermittent starting issues , But not to the extent of causing the keys to not be detected. RFH is what controls many functions of the vehicle starting system. The fact the tech is throwing keys and body computers at it tells me he doesn't know what the hell hea doing. Body computers almost have nothing to do with the functionality of the starting system. It all starts at the RFH hub. I don't remember when the wins went to rfh but I do believe 11 or 12 was the first year change.

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
They did change out the RFM, got the new fobs programmed and all worked well, then when i went to pick it up, the truck apparently dropped the programming codes for the FOBS and the new FOBS wouldn't work at all.

I believe on this vehicle they are equipped with a radio frequency hub or RFH hub, it's the replacement to the win. The KIN is basically the push button itself, I've replaced one 1 of those in the years we've had hem and multiple RFH hubs. that's actually what I would have started with. A flaky tipm could give your intermittent starting issues , But not to the extent of causing the keys to not be detected. RFH is what controls many functions of the vehicle starting system. The fact the tech is throwing keys and body computers at it tells me he doesn't know what the hell hea doing. Body computers almost have nothing to do with the functionality of the starting system. It all starts at the RFH hub. I don't remember when the wins went to rfh but I do believe 11 or 12 was the first year change.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I wasn't sure about the WIN RFH changeover date.

There is always a chance that the replacement RFH is defective. It should have non-volatile and protected memory that can't be easily erased/changed. Perhaps they left out a programing step and either didn't complete the programming or bricked the RFH... just guessing.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could also need a PCM, PCM communicates to the RFH with the key codes.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah I wasn't sure about the WIN RFH changeover date.

There is always a chance that the replacement RFH is defective. It should have non-volatile and protected memory that can't be easily erased/changed. Perhaps they left out a programing step and either didn't complete the programming or bricked the RFH... just guessing.

There's really only a couple steps to programming an RF hub. Program keys then the RF hub replace procedure. There's not really a way to mess it up, you can't even do it in the wrong order because it won't let you. It's possible to get a faulty new part but I suspect there's an underlying issue that hasn't been found yet. Could be a number of things.

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Back at the dealership today, truck was running. I shut it down and it would not restart or recognize the keyless FOBS. Not even pushing the FOB on the start button would work.

The service department asked me for one more day, I asked as a worse case if they still can't fix it if they can bypass the electric start to another switch so I can at least drive it to florida and hand it over to another dealership

We will see what happens tomorrow

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Back at the dealership today, truck was running. I shut it down and it would not restart or recognize the keyless FOBS. Not even pushing the FOB on the start button would work.

The service department asked me for one more day, I asked as a worse case if they still can't fix it if they can bypass the electric start to another switch so I can at least drive it to florida and hand it over to another dealership

We will see what happens tomorrow

Unfortunately there's no way to bypass that.

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Damn that sucks there isn't a way to bypass. I was hoping they could install a temporary key start to get me home.

In order to escalate a quicker fix ,or add to the dealers tech assistance I opened up a customer case file with Ram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
The are ordering a new RFH and antennae to see if the previous ones they installed were faulty

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
The are ordering a new RFH and antennae to see if the previous ones they installed were faulty

Keep us updated. If you need further assistance, feel free to DM me. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Thanks Kevin. The current update is parts (RFH, and antennae) are being flown in. I'll know more in 2 days. Currently I have had to cancel my hotel reservations for my trip back to Florida. I checked out of my hotel today to save some $ and crashing at a friends house. I was supposed to be on the road tomorrow morning towing a trailer back to FL. I have no choice, and stuck here till the truck is running.

Does Ram do reimbursement for travel if it's suspended as in this situation?

Keep us updated. If you need further assistance, feel free to DM me. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Last edited: