Truck Honks When I Get Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think the OP is getting confused or forgetful.

Per previous statements (and no, I am not going to go find and quote them):

The Key is only to lock and unlock the doors (but not the tailgate).

The fob is only to start the truck and lock or unlock the tailgate.

Unless he mis-spoke before...
Yep, both of those statement are true.

Some of y'all are getting too specific. Either that, or you are being purposely obtuse. :rolleyes: The fob is, of course, needed for the truck to start, which is a function of the truck, not the fob. There are two buttons on the fob. Their only functions are to lock/unlock my tailgate and a panic button. I have a key also. Its only function is to lock/unlock the doors. The fob is a PITA to have to carry because if I had a key-start ignition and a keyhole in the tailgate I would not need to carry a golfball-sized thing in my pocket all the time

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Yep, both of those statement are true.

Some of y'all are getting too specific. Either that, or you are being purposely obtuse. :rolleyes: The fob is, of course, needed for the truck to start, which is a function of the truck, not the fob. There are two buttons on the fob. Their only functions are to lock/unlock my tailgate and a panic button. I have a key also. Its only function is to lock/unlock the doors. The fob is a PITA to have to carry because if I had a key-start ignition and a keyhole in the tailgate I would not need to carry a golfball-sized thing in my pocket all the time
Again, pretty sure that "feature" would 100% prevent me from buying the truck.

Both my Rams had keyless start/entry etc. I take the "hit" of needing to always have the fob, but I DON'T need to have a key...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2022 has a disable honk on exit in the uconnect settings.
What is the exact wording of the setting you are referring to (or a pic)?
Just to clarify- We are talking about the three honks that happen after you leave the truck running, open the door, exit the vehicle with the key fob, and close the door.

dashbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What is the exact wording of the setting you are referring to (or a pic)?
Just to clarify- We are talking about the three honks that happen after you leave the truck running, open the door, exit the vehicle with the key fob, and close the door.

...Resurrecting this, I really really hate my pickup honks. I have a job where I get out of my vehicle a lot, dogs, etc, and it's running. I can close the door softly so it doesn't fully latch and avoid this, but I'd really like to avoid the triple honk. I have a ALFA thing I haven't gotten to work yet (must be me), but never saw this option and I looked for it.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
...Resurrecting this, I really really hate my pickup honks. I have a job where I get out of my vehicle a lot, dogs, etc, and it's running. I can close the door softly so it doesn't fully latch and avoid this, but I'd really like to avoid the triple honk. I have a ALFA thing I haven't gotten to work yet (must be me), but never saw this option and I looked for it.
I just mentioned this again to my wife this morning. She stayed in the truck with the A/C while I got out to go into the pharmacy and get a script. I forgot the fob on my belt and when I shut the door I got the 3 honks. I have been through every page in my Uconnect settings a bunch of times and there is no way to disable it so I'm stuck with either having it honk, leaving my key in the truck while it's running, or shutting off and restarting the truck - which gets old after a while and wears on your starter when you're getting in and out frequently to go through gates. Or leave the door open when it's raining.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
This is a 22 and newer thing. Most owners hate it, and I mean by a wide margain. There is a survey on a different Ram forum that Ram Cares started about it. It's like 200 to 3.

A work around is kind of odd but I've tested the last couple of days and it works. Hold the keyfob against the window glass of the drivers side back seat door as you shut the front door. No 3 honks of the horn.

The trouble with this is who is going to remember to do that.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
If I'm understanding correctly, the fob is only for keyless start? Seems bizarrely superfluous if so. If you need a key, why not use it for the ignition too?

Granted, if one lives in the country and rarely locks their doors (like me) that's one thing. But I sincerely doubt the majority of Ram drivers leave their doors unlocked.
Every day when I go to town for coffee and the mail, I leave
the fob in the Ram, unlocked for close to an hour. And so do
10 other vehicles on main street. That is why I like small town
rural living. Nothing stolen yet in my over 40 years of experience.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Every day when I go to town for coffee and the mail, I leave
the fob in the Ram, unlocked for close to an hour. And so do
10 other vehicles on main street. That is why I like small town
rural living. Nothing stolen yet in my over 40 years of experience.
I haven't locked my truck but maybe a dozen times in the last decade.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
What happens if you have one fob in your pocket and one to leave in the truck? Does it know or care that one fob leaves if one stays?

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What happens if you have one fob in your pocket and one to leave in the truck? Does it know or care that one fob leaves if one stays?
No, the truck doesn't 'care" whether one or both fobs are in the cab. The person who cares is the thief that busts your window, gets in, then just has to push the button to start the truck and drive away because the gob is already presnt. I leave my extra fob in the cab in case I lock myself out, but I have removed the battery and hidden it where a thief wouldn't think of looking, and/or it would take too long to find, and I have the battery also hidden in a completely different part of the cab.

Should I lock myself out by losing my fob and key, I can find my hide-a-key to open the cab, then just dig out the fob and battery and get the truck started.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No, the truck doesn't 'care" whether one or both fobs are in the cab. The person who cares is the thief that busts your window, gets in, then just has to push the button to start the truck and drive away because the gob is already presnt.

That's a big concern when you're checking your mail or opening a gate in the pouring rain? Are thieves busting windows and randomly testing push starts a big threat in your area?

If the horn bothered me that much and I couldn't or wouldn't use any of the fixes in the thread, I'd just splice in a switch to completely disable the horn. Or I'd sell the truck, buy a 1978 Ford High Boy, and never worry about it again.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's a big concern when you're checking your mail or opening a gate in the pouring rain? Are thieves busting windows and randomly testing push starts a big threat in your area?

If the horn bothered me that much and I couldn't or wouldn't use any of the fixes in the thread, I'd just splice in a switch to completely disable the horn. Or I'd sell the truck, buy a 1978 Ford High Boy, and never worry about it again.
I misunderstood. If you're talking about taking 2 fobs with me every time I go somewhere, to leave one in the cab just so the truck doesn't honk when I get out (if that even works), that's means I'd have to carry two of them around when I don't even want one. And thieves bust in on the hopes that some dummy left his fob locked in the vehicle so they only have to push the button to start the car and drive away. If it doesn't work, they're out of there in 30 seconds and will try again somewhere else.

No, the simplest thing would be just to have a key that will unlock the doors, start the truck, and possibly also unlock the tailgate. Easy, non-complicated - just a key that takes up the room of a stick of gum in my pocket.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I misunderstood. If you're talking about taking 2 fobs with me every time I go somewhere, to leave one in the cab just so the truck doesn't honk when I get out (if that even works), that's means I'd have to carry two of them around when I don't even want one. And thieves bust in on the hopes that some dummy left his fob locked in the vehicle so they only have to push the button to start the car and drive away. If it doesn't work, they're out of there in 30 seconds and will try again somewhere else.

No, the simplest thing would be just to have a key that will unlock the doors, start the truck, and possibly also unlock the tailgate. Easy, non-complicated - just a key that takes up the room of a stick of gum in my pocket.

The simplest thing is irrelevant unless you're willing to figure out how to retrofit a keyed ignition into the system or sell it and buy a truck old enough to use metal keys. If you think thieves are randomly busting windows to push a button hoping it starts but want to return to the security of a metal keyed start I think you're logic is fatally flawed as to which is more likely to get your truck stolen.

Fix it:
Wire a rocker switch to the horn's power, when you get out knowing it will honk hit the rocker switch first. Dead horn, no beep. Turn it back on once you're ready to drive again.

Or continue to be irritated by it, I suppose, but you've been offered multiple ways to disable it.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The simplest thing is irrelevant unless you're willing to figure out how to retrofit a keyed ignition into the system or sell it and buy a truck old enough to use metal keys. If you think thieves are randomly busting windows to push a button hoping it starts but want to return to the security of a metal keyed start I think you're logic is fatally flawed as to which is more likely to get your truck stolen.
Crooks do it all the time. I retired after 30 years LE - I saw it weekly. It's amazing how many people leave their fob in the vehicle.

Fix it:
Wire a rocker switch to the horn's power, when you get out knowing it will honk hit the rocker switch first. Dead horn, no beep. Turn it back on once you're ready to drive again.

Or continue to be irritated by it, I suppose, but you've been offered multiple ways to disable it.
I will, because there is no simple option. I already stated that I know it can't be disabled in the regular manner. My entire point is that the engineers came up with something that is a PITA, that many people do not like, but they don't offer any other option. So I am stuck with a golf ball on a keyring with multiple other keys (house, gate, etc.) that I either have to carry in my pocket where there is no room and the buttons are regularly pushed setting off the panic alarm or opening my tailgate, or hang on a clip from my belt. I'm not a woman, I don't carry a purse to put all my stuff in. I'm a guy with pants that have 2 front pockets and two back pockets.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Crooks do it all the time. I retired after 30 years LE - I saw it weekly. It's amazing how many people leave their fob in the vehicle.

So you're telling me you weekly had someone lock their fob in the vehicle, someone broke the window at random, and drove off with it? I'd suspect insurance fraud if someone told me they left their fob inside the vehicle while it was locked and unattended and someone just happened to bust the window and take it. Thieves bust windows to take items left in plain view, and I can see if you left the fob in a cup holder or something, but to break in on just the off chance there is a fob hidden inside? I'm calling BS.

If you did 30 years I'm sure you remember the metal keyed GMCs. There wasn't one in town without a busted column and a history of 2-3 steals. Then it trickled down to the hood and became a rock rental. Today it's the Kias that you can steal with a USB drive vs the Chevys you could steal with a screwdriver.

I will, because there is no simple option. I already stated that I know it can't be disabled in the regular manner. My entire point is that the engineers came up with something that is a PITA, that many people do not like, but they don't offer any other option. So I am stuck with a golf ball on a keyring with multiple other keys (house, gate, etc.) that I either have to carry in my pocket where there is no room and the buttons are regularly pushed setting off the panic alarm or opening my tailgate, or hang on a clip from my belt. I'm not a woman, I don't carry a purse to put all my stuff in. I'm a guy with pants that have 2 front pockets and two back pockets.

Well, you've been given multiple "irregular" options to avoid the honk. We're kinda deep into 1st world problems here.

If your pants are so tight you can't get a fob in the pocket, the fob may not be the problem. Ask your wife to help you buy pants that fit and call a locksmith to get your locks keyed the same. See? I'm a problem solver, it's what I do.

But I get it. Cops only complain about two things. When things change and when things stay the same. :cheers:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you're telling me you weekly had someone lock their fob in the vehicle, someone broke the window at random, and drove off with it? I'd suspect insurance fraud if someone told me they left their fob inside the vehicle while it was locked and unattended and someone just happened to bust the window and take it. Thieves bust windows to take items left in plain view, and I can see if you left the fob in a cup holder or something, but to break in on just the off chance there is a fob hidden inside? I'm calling BS.

If you did 30 years I'm sure you remember the metal keyed GMCs. There wasn't one in town without a busted column and a history of 2-3 steals. Then it trickled down to the hood and became a rock rental. Today it's the Kias that you can steal with a USB drive vs the Chevys you could steal with a screwdriver.

Well, you've been given multiple "irregular" options to avoid the honk. We're kinda deep into 1st world problems here.

If your pants are so tight you can't get a fob in the pocket, the fob may not be the problem. Ask your wife to help you buy pants that fit and call a locksmith to get your locks keyed the same. See? I'm a problem solver, it's what I do.

But I get it. Cops only complain about two things. When things change and when things stay the same. :cheers:
Dat not nice lol.

Honk back??? :33::angels25::anitoof::angels2:

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Pants fit fine. It's the fob, keys, pocket knife, challenge coin, pill container, and lucky marble that are fighting it out for space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57