Truck tires and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking mainly at load rating index of tires for replacing the Crapyear's. Cooper and General each have a 275/60/20 rated at 119XL, which to me means the sidewall will be measurably stiffer and help the truck feel more planted.
I have hated the Goodyears since the the day we bought the truck; the sidewalls feel like they're made from play dough and that gets magnified when towing.
Am I right about the load index? I don't want E-rated LT tires which would kill the ride quality when empty.
General Grabber HTS (15485380000)

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yeah, the XL is rated for a truck suv but will give you a better ride than the E-rated. When I bought my Nitto Terra the XL was rated about 50 lbs or less than the E-rated tire but a little heavier, I don't know about the Cooper or the General but should be close or right on.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look for a load range D or C tire, a little stiffer than the xl but not as stiff as a load range E.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lol i have michelin ltx at2 10 ply on 17s (how i bought the truck)
Aside from average wet weather traction i quite enjoy them. They are pretty quiet, use evenly and very stiff, gives a very solid feeling in curves for something on 17s with all that rubber around it

Also with all thoses plys i have greater puncture resistance, which is a plus, i hate changing flat tires on the side of the road lol

Also around here the roads are so bad there is no ride quality, loaded is better yeah but all the time is bump after crack after pothole
So when you find a fresh road you nail it :p

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Also with all thoses plys i have greater puncture resistance, which is a plus, i hate changing flat tires on the side of the road lol

I love having LT tires for that reason. Seems like even a dull piece of metal will go through those GY's. I have seen tarp strap hooks go through those too. If they were not trying to get every last MPG out of the 1500's they might put them on stock but then again they put ont he Goodyears because they are cheap too so that would foil that plan.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
I replaced my crapyears with BFG AT LT C rated tires. As stated by other posts I have no rougher ride difference from the stock tires. My gas mileage is the same too. I've used E rated tires on my 2500's and they are stiff and you do have a rougher ride. The C rated LT tires are my preference for 1/2T trucks. I would still go with an E rated for 2500/3500 to compensate for the heavier towing loads

LT C rated tires have a much higher sidewall puncture resistance and a much better towing quality due to the reduced sidewall flex present with the stock passenger tires proved on our RAM's. I've got 3.92 and the tow package. I honestly do not know why we don't have an option to have real truck tires OEM.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I replaced my crapyears with BFG AT LT C rated tires. As stated by other posts I have no rougher ride difference from the stock tires. My gas mileage is the same too. I've used E rated tires on my 2500's and they are stiff and you do have a rougher ride. The C rated LT tires are my preference for 1/2T trucks. I would still go with an E rated for 2500/3500 to compensate for the heavier towing loads

LT C rated tires have a much higher sidewall puncture resistance and a much better towing quality due to the reduced sidewall flex present with the stock passenger tires proved on our RAM's. I've got 3.92 and the tow package. I honestly do not know why we don't have an option to have real truck tires OEM.

You do, just not on the 20" rims. Outdoorsman's come with goodyear silent armor load range E tires. You can get those on any of the rams that have 17" wheels. I like the smaller rim anyways so it worked out perfect for me.

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear what y'all are saying, but I don't want MT or AT tires. I want as street as I can go, and still get around in the winter. Combine that with wishing for a higher load rating on 20's and they are few and far between.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ABGY...anything but Goodyears.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^ agree 100%. I took a chance on Duratracs based on all the raving about them online. Tempted to slash them myself so I have an excuse to get out of them.

I'm a BFG fan. I ran ATs E rated on all my trucks with great luck. I convinced one of the guys at work to give the rugged trail (?) a try and he loves them for all around use and pulling his 12000lbs 5er. That will be my next set since this Ram is going to be a pavement queen.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited: